DVD- Is it Worth it?

ray gower

The DVD for Nemesis is scheduled for release 20th May.

I am guessing that it coming out so quickly may have more than a passing relationship to how badly the film did.

So Ladies and Gentlemen of the board. Is the DVD worth shelling out the ackers for, or should I wait until it is in the bargain bins?

I have a feeling it will hit the bargain bits purty darn fast. But I think it would be worth shelling out a moderate amount of dough (up to £15 or so?) just to see the extra materials. I don't know the details, but I was led to believe that there will be all sorts of deleted scenes included. I think that would almost be worth the price alone, if only so we can complain once more how they stuffed everything up ;)

DVD Extras not certain

Originally posted by Tabitha
....But I think it would be worth shelling out a moderate amount of dough (up to £15 or so?) just to see the extra materials. I don't know the details, but I was led to believe that there will be all sorts of deleted scenes included.

Rick Berman interview 3rd January 2003 -- from Star Trek Monthly #101 Feb 2003

Berman also commented on whether the 40 minutes or so of cuts made from the film would make it on to the eventual DVD. "We will not see [deleted scenes] in the first DVD, I don't think, because that's in the works. On the other hand, it might very well happen , as extras, not as footage cut back into the film. I don't think Stuart [Baird] is crazy about doing it. It's a decision we'll all make and it's not a decision that's been made final yet."

Reportedly, Baird has already recorded a director's commentary for the disc, which will likely see the light of day in the back half of this year.

If it has been moved forward to 20th May, not only does it reflect badly on the success of the film, but it makes it even more unlikely that they will have time to put together those extras.

I would say to hang on for a second DVD with everything added.

On a film with a total run length of less than 120 minutes, 40 minutes of cuts equate to nearly half of the film, especially after all the credits have been ignored!

No wonder the beneral impression was naff

The cinema goers were really cheated on this one, weren't they?

Yet, up until that interview, Berman had continued to claim, on several ocassions, that the cuts were minor, and part of the normal editing process that happens in any film.

Over a third of the running time does seem more than minor cutting to me.

I've already posted about the cuts here:
http://www.ascifi.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=16645

I don't think they were that good or important anyway.

Re: DVD Extras not certain

Originally posted by Dave

If it has been moved forward to 20th May, not only does it reflect badly on the success of the film, but it makes it even more unlikely that they will have time to put together those extras.

I would say to hang on for a second DVD with everything added.

Hi - Newbie question here - I had heard they were going to come out with a second disc - a Director's Cut with the footage re-added. I don't remember the source - I'm sure it was unreliable.

Anywho, figured you folks might be able to confirm that or note that you've heard the same thing from another source. If so, any timeline on release?

Cheers

Hi Hockeypuck,

In 'Star Trek Monthly' #106 Rick Berman was asked why the DVD now will have the deleted scenes in it:

RB: "Stuart Baird and I find it a very interesting question whetehr to put things back in a DVD, when you didn't put them in the movie because you didn't think they should be in there, for whatever reason. We both have views about that.

None of the scenes we took out did we dislike. The sole reason that the scenes were taken out ..... was because the film was way too long. So, it will be interesting for people to see the scenes, and a few of them are very fun. The scenes are there as extras. They are not cut back into the film."

And according to Amazon (UK) the DVD is released on 11th August, 2003.

Doesn't look like a Directors Cut would be made, but it seems that someone higher in Paramount than Berman and Baird has already got them to change their views once, so who knows?

Excellent - thank you very much, Dave. I really appreciate it!

I'll hold off for a bit - if I don't see anything up on http://www.dvdpricesearch.com, I might just buy the current disc. I suppose I can always buy another if I need to.

As far as the movie goes, IMO it wasn't bad, but it wasn't great. I thought it was moderately better than Insurrection, but nowhere near as good as First Contact.

As much as I hate to say it (because I really do like the TNG cast) I think the movies need something new, as it seems that the movie series itself is getting a little long in the tooth.

Oh, and for those of you that are interested - Wil Wheaton runs a great site - http://www.wilwheaton.net - he offers up his thoughts on his bit being cut, etc., etc.

Personally, I think Nemesis was a great movie. I bought the DVD the second day it was out and I love it. The deleted scenes and other xtras are fun.
In one of the deleted scenes I noticed a familiar face from X-Men: the director, Bryan Singer! I thought that was a great little touch.

So, Region 1 (US & Canada) was released on May 20th, 2003 while Region 2 (Europe and Middle East) has to wait until August 11th, 2003. I've only just realised that.

Something is very wrong there! :mad:

No wonder those multi-region DVD players sell so well.

One of the deleted scenes would have made JLP's relationship with Data a whole lot more real, almost essential considering the final scenes. It was a short scene where Picard waxes lyrical to Data about the meaning of love, marriage and family.

The last scene where JLP meets his new No1 would have set things up neatly for a continuation.

Most of the others would not have been missed. Even Worf's arguement over the new captain's chair (with seat belts).