Britons ignorant of UK history

I remember they kept insisting on me drawing my timelines to scale, and I never could. They couldn't understand that my brain doesn't do maths.

There's a lot of emphasis on maths and English now over anything else.

I don't need to. All I need to do is look at an analogue clock and realise I don't have a clue what it says to know that.

I'm still youth I think.... well, I never could tell analogue time, learn my times tables or subtract or even add very well. They tested me at college and said it was pointless me even trying.

Well, if we don't learn from history and learn correctly we will make the same mistakes.

It is sad that we don't learn this anymore.

I saw a documentary once of Japanese teenagers who didn't know of the events of the second world war.

They say that ignorance is bliss, but damn, a lot of these people musy be the most blissful in the world...

What is the point in teaching people about recent history, they might find out somethings that aren't very nice - so teach them happy things!!! :D

I shall endeavour to teach my son, as he grows up, about the history of the country he lives in - and general world history... For the entire world - where applicable...

I would consider it a personal insult to myself, if he fails to learn about history, because I failed him??? ;)

No, I did not grow up in Sunderland... I grew up in Cambridge. Is there irony in that? So much for Cambridge's reputation. Well, I was in all the bottom sets in school, so no one must expect much wit from me.

Don't put yourself down, luv... You hold your own on here (wit-wise)... And with you doing Archaeology, you must have an interest in history...

Lacey is only having a go at Sunderland, because he is closest to it... He knows nowt about Cambridge (or its reputation)...

Well, I know that here in the States, the woeful lack of knowledge about history is at least partly to do with the fact that in the schools everyone is concerned that the students learn higher math, but nobody really thinks that history is important. It's just a bunch of dead guys, after all, is their reasoning.

Frustrates me. I love history. I can see the connections between the past and the present, and my personal perspective is that knowing what happened in the past puts what is happening now into context. Case in point: There's a huge controversy right now about a nasty campaign ad against John Kerry by a group of men who claim to have served with him in Vietnam (although part of the controversy has to do with whether at least some of them really served with him or just served in Vietnam at the same time he was there). There are all kinds of allegations made that he has lied about his military record and I don't know what all. If people had an historical perspective that this sort of character assassination ads in campaigns goes back at least to the election of 1884, between Grover Cleveland and James G. Blaine, they might look at such ads a little more critically. Or maybe not. But there is at least a chance that knowledge of this would make people aware that not everything they see and hear in political ads is strictly true.

Your description reminds me of "Bill and Teds Excellent Adventure"... "Dead French dude, dude"... Really good description of Napoleon... :D

I know quite a bit about Cambridge actually. A recent report stated that the people of Sunderland had the worst numeracy skills in Europe. (Geordies hate Mackems and all that...) I would never pick on Lou. I was in all of the top classes at school, where did that get me? I look after retards for a living! The irony is there for all to see...

Perhaps I should move to Sunderland, then I would be in much better company- this place is crawling with maths professors.

Sorry, I was being a bit negative yesterday, didn't intend to accuse people of picking on me, but I'm happy now becaus emy best friend came back from her holidays and we're planning a few shopping trips and nights out. In Cambridge. Well, it's better than this village.

I was in all bottom sets, and we didn't learn a lot because of the behaivour of people. It's not very nice to call people retards, Peter. Because I was very shy at secondary school and didn't dare speak to many people when they spoke to me they said I was a retard and it upset me.

Sorry. I look after people with learning disabilities, who subsequently used to be called retards until the Seatle sickness crossed the Atlantic. They use to call them flids when I was younger, but that was never an accepted term...