7.01: Fallen

Well, I guess Jack piloted the F-302 because he and Teal'c were the only ones who got to fly the X-302 (in Tangent).
They'd rather have a 45-year-old colonel (and I think we see in Fragile Balance that Jack's much older, his ID saying his birthday was in 1952 I think) with experience with that very technology flying the ship than somebody else.

Just my opinion, couldn't think of something else...:D :D

The problem is O'Neill is too old to fulfil the role of a fighter pilot effectively. A deterioration in reaction time of a few tenths of a second is more critical in fighter pilots than any other occupation. Experienced in the technology or not, O'Neill shouldn't have stood a chance against the younger pilots in the Death Gliders. It simply appears an example of poor writing, having SG1 members save the day by giving them inhuman abilities that fly in the face of common sense.

Well, since Sam seems to be have added technical, mechanical and medical degrees since season three I'm willing to stretch my belief there aswell ;)

In fact even more so since it seems logical to me to have somebody flying the F-302 on a crucial mission who is experienced in it than somebody who has only theoretical knowledge of it, eg. the pilots Sam and later Jack trained in Fragile Balance.

They needed the time that passed between the mission briefing and the mission itself to get the ship through the gate and have it reasembled, so nobody would've had the time to be trained in flying it. So I guess Jack's the logical choice.

minor quibble

Sweet that the team put Sha're's picture by Daniel's bed, but where did they get a photo of Sha're?

Even if Daniel took a camera with him to Abydos, he'd have to hang on to the film or the digital card for all those months -- with no thought of actually getting pictures except for the unexpected arrival of O'Neill & company followed closely by Apophis.

And then Sha're is off to become one with Amonet and no more chance for a photo-shoot.

I am pretty sure this same photo has been in other episodes previous to Fallen, including Forvever in a Day. So it's a quibble for that episode (or the episode it first appeared, I am not sure). Anyway, Dan might have taken her picture when all drunk off Skarra's moonshine before O'Neill came back...and found the camera in his things after he went back to earth, decided that it would be nice to have a pic of her and had it developed.

Originally posted by summershake
Well, since Sam seems to be have added technical, mechanical and medical degrees since season three I'm willing to stretch my belief there aswell ;)
And not to mention various postgraduate qualifications in aerospace engineering, materials science, computer science etc. Technician level expertise in countless fields, most of which don't yet exist on Earth. Almost all brief appearance males continue to fall in lover with her. Carter also appears to have become about 5 years younger since CotG.
The attack on Anubis's weapon system was completely implausible. Nobody would incorporate such an obvious vulnerability into a ship's design and such flaws should be picked up by simulated attacks. There would have been at least one redundant backup cooling system and emergency shutdown procedures. There are so many fail safes in today's nuclear reactors to prevent the reaction from going out of control that it is unimaginable there would be no contingencies in a comparable alien system.

Originally posted by beckmen
I am pretty sure this same photo has been in other episodes previous to Fallen, including Forvever in a Day. So it's a quibble for that episode (or the episode it first appeared, I am not sure). Anyway, Dan might have taken her picture when all drunk off Skarra's moonshine before O'Neill came back...and found the camera in his things after he went back to earth, decided that it would be nice to have a pic of her and had it developed.

maybe he took the picture when he met her again on Abidos about to give birth?

Originally posted by skydiver
a good show, sure, fantastic, no.
It's like a fic you read where folks are writing because they have to, not because their muse is speaking to them. there was no real spark, no real excitement ....it was...there.

I think you are a little harsh. I really wasn't expecting much this season. Season 6 had 'Jumped the Shark' as far as I was concerned, but this was surprisingly much better. I agree, not absolutely brilliant, but then we were spoilt by such a great show in the earlier seasons. If it's a choice between this, or a re-imaging of a 60's or 70's series that a studio just got the rights to, or an excellent new series that you just get deeply involved in before they pull the plug on it, then I choose this.

Originally posted by Highlander II
and there was a lot of 'Star Wars' feel to it --

Well okay, apart from the whole attack on the Death Star rip-off bit, which wasn't that original.

How else could they bring back Daniel without him having God-like powers? (I thought that the amnesia was well done. Down to the acting abilities of Michael Shanks.)

How else could they continue the story without Anubis becoming Galactic Emperor? (that's a mistake made in season 6)

Plenty of good Jack-isms. I loved it when he said that he'd forgotten Gen. Hammond too.

As for the photograph, I'm sure there was plenty of opportunities for it to have been taken. Who says Daniel didn't have a camera when he was originally left on Abydos?

One of my favourite scenes has to be the following Daniel/Teal'c scene. After waking up he goes to Teal'c's quarters and states as he holds up Sha're's pic: "Her name is Sha're. Nobody told me that, I remembered it on my own." And he has the cutest little smile. It's heart-breaking to see him all smiles and you already know what is going to come, Teal'c looking sick, then quickly away. He has to tell Daniel that she is dead and we can assume they talked more about it off-camera, so to speak. Poor Teal'c!!!!!

This has to be one of my fave scenes of the episode. I love the way that he just walks in..
Also they way Daniel said that he remembered her name all on his own..he looked like a little boy waiting for a pat on the head...bless
And poor Teal'c...he really gave a big gulp when Daniel knew that she was dead...
I hope that there is more Teal'c and Danny scenes to come!

Then we have a nice briefing room scene. SG-1 minus Daniel are there when he 'barks' in. Hammond tells him that it's classified, but Danny says he feeled he just needed to be there. They let him attend. He cracks a joke I didn't quite catch about not remembering their names, Jack plays along and answers: "Nice one." to which Daniel replies: "Thanks, Jim." Jack is *not* amused, I roared with laughter. It was very funny.

This one had me laughing out loud...Danny walking in and asking to join and bless Hammond with his thats good enough after Daniel trying to explain that he just felt that he needed to be there.
And Sams face when Daniel calls Jack jim again that had me laughing!

true, Archeaologists must like taking pictures of things. He probably had one with him...

Never having had the opportunity to be a major follower of Stargate, and the ones I have seen having been not brilliant, I have to say I quite enjoyed this episode.

Okay a lot of credulity is strained in places. Sam Carters general all round egg-headedness. Jack out flying the enemy, then there were no hi-G manoeuvres so perhaps they could survive without goon suits?

But overall it is a well told story, with some neat interplay between characters like Jack asking 'Do you recognise us now?' when Daniel puts his glasses on, along with the retort.

But for the sake of a relative newbie. Who is the bird with the funny voice?

Thought I'd put my ten penneth in about this start to Season 7.

Bit disappointed at the beginning of Daniels 're-entry' back to life. Perhaps it was me but I was expecting a better entrance.

Jack or 'Jim' was brilliant with all his jokes and quips. While talking with DJ i was expecting him (DJ) to be all poutish and 'leave me alone' constantly so was quite shocked to see the very fast turnaround in his decision to return to the SGC.

At least some of his memory is returning. Jacks face was not amused at being called Jim yet again. Oh dear!!! :(

Poor Jonas, what is going to happen to him? Is he going to be tortured by Anubis? Its not fair!! They can't kill him. LOL

I shall be there at the next episode waiting eagerly to see what happens to Jonas and Daniel.

Oh don't know who the bird is with the funny voice. All I can guess she is a Tok'ra who we've not yet 'met'.

annette :rolly2:

yeah i think this is the best SG1 episode we've had in a long while, mainly due to the "jack-isms" - very funny especially the "Do you recognise us now?" and of course the Teal'c/Daniel/Sha're scene is just great.

I was a bit disappointed that he didn't talk to Jonas much (at least that we got to see), even though they were working together and that he 'skittled' off when Jonas got captured. Earlier on Sam very sweetly says that Daniel is the kind of person who would risk his life for someone else's not that he would leave one of his team to be tortured alone :D

The amnesia was good but i thought he recovered a little too quickly, it would have been interesting to play it out a little more.

I missed this ep on the night cuase I was working but luckily my little bro taped it for me

What did I think?

Well nekkid daniel is always a good way to start off the show, pity they didn't think of it before ;)
There were lots of funny monets that had me craking up and some nice moments (like the one between teal'c and daniel :))and the special effects of the ships battling in outta space was cool! The only problem being it is a 2-parter (I hate to wait!)

:D

The Tok'ra chick was in another episode. I think it was Prophecy in Season 6. She's the latest "Sexy Tok'ra" after Anise disapeered and Spoiler for Season 5...
Renow (SP?) got bludgened by huge friggin rocks in Last Stand (or was it Summit?)

^It was Summit.;)

Hi, Im new.:eek:

It's great to have Danny boy back, and I thought his reset, that is, his memory reset wasn't too bad considering you have to fit an overall plot in there as well, ie, Nubbi's big bad ray gun. So his character's transition, which is, I think, his memory loss to his willingness to embrace his past, blended smoothly with the storyline(and he is still recovering in Homecoming and notwitstanding, but of course which is also significant, is his ascension in Orpheus which is addressed, so in a way, its a continuing thread for at least three solid episodes, and how appropriate that those episodes are three solid early season 7 episodes...).

Well, what more can I say say? The only thing I can find negative about it(which in itself isn't all that bad I suppose) is the way they brought the story to the screen. The feel and style of it seemed to follow a little too closely in the vein of last season's Redemption pt 1 and 2. There was the whole Sam and Jack thing in the Earth modified Goul'd jet glider and Teal'c offworlding, and then following in part two we have Jack and company dependent on person "A" to provide life or death support, and although the roles of those are reversed in question, since Teal'c, Bratac, and Ryac isn't the same thing as an Baal led system lord attack on Nub, it is still the same formula applied, anyone agree?

But besides that, (which I suppose cannot even be considered a liability), it turned out to be your dependable, and as always, very classy Sg-1 episode "opening", in other words, the always entertaining Sg-1 intergalactic, "we have to destroy and defeat the villian because the fate of so and so rests with etc," season opener.:rolly2: :rolly2: :eek:

Just out of interest, does anyone know what the big news guns that some of SG-3 and SG-5 were carrying when they found Daniel in the woods, yes - the ones with jet engine intakes for magazines:

S7_new_guns.jpg

Other images are (where they really belong :blush: ) in the Stargate Technical thread, but nobody ever goes there... New Guns in Seasons Seven ;)

They looks like M4s to me. The Jet Engine is a drum magizine, which holds like a LOT of rounds. Plus it looks like they are decked out with flashlights, laser sights scopes and/....I dunno, sort of looks like the Tyler training thing to me (A training system where the guns fire blanks and have little laser tag things attached to them to see if you hit your target, everyone wears sensors so they can know if they get hit), which makes no sense. But I am not in the military, I just have knowledge gathered from being a crazy gun nut who's never actually fired one :rolly2:

Oh, PS: kudos on showing off the DVDs with the screen here. I envy you UK people.

Must admit that re-engineered M16s looked possible, but I couldn't find any specs... I'll try following up the M4 line though....