Man, I was SOOOO disappointed with Nemesis...

Frozen

The Iceman cometh!
OK, look, before I start, can I just say I'm NOT looking for an argument, I'm NOT a troll, and I'm not flaming, but I've just seen Nemesis, and I was am so disappointed I can barely articulate my feelings about this movie...

I mean, where was the dramatic tension? At no point in this film did I feel tense, wonder what was going to happen next, or feel the crew were in peril.

The dialogue was awful, and it went a long way to ruining a villain who could have been fairly cool if he hadn't sounded like such a ham thanks to the bad script.

Data gets killed. Big deal - they have a new reserve Data anyway. What a cop out.

There's been a lot of talk about whether or not Nemesis is supposed to be the last TNG film or not... and the fact we're evn discussing it highlights a big problem with the film. For a movie that's supposed to be 'a generations final voyage', there's no sense of finality AT ALL. No tension, no remorse, no last goodbyes (apart from Geordie and Data - but Geordie can always chum up to the new 'Neo Data' can't he...).

I came into this film expecing to chew my nails as the crew laid their lives on the line fighting an unstoppable opponent with the might of the Romulan Empire behind him. Instead I'm bored to tears watching the crew go through the motions struggling to stay awake fighting a sick bald guy who looks nothing like Picard who only has one ship and a crew who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo... What a thorough disappointment.

After giving us films like "Wrath of Khan", "Undiscovered Country" and "First Contact", you'd think that the guys in charge of the franchise would know how to give us a good movie instead of this drivel. I hope this is the last Star Trek film, because if this is the best they can do, then they're a disgrace...

But otherwise you enjoyed it? ;)

Seriously. Thanks for your thoughts. Nemesis does appear to have gained more than the usual polarisation of views and not just the usual critics vs fans.

It has been suggested it was for the fans to decide on whether there is another film, I assume by going to see this one. By and large the fans have voted, it wasn't the hit they had hoped.

So it looks as if Star Trek films are finishing, on a whimper not a bang

I agree with most of what you said there, Nemesis was terribly disappointing for me, I felt (and it was later confirmed) that much of the story had been lost to the editing devils, and there was little feeling of continuity, and none whatsoever of jeopardy. The finale might have been more tense had there been something greater at stake than the Enterprise and it's crew - but it was hard to conjure up too much desire for them to win. I almost would have been happy for the crew to have perished in a last ditch (and successful) attempt to stop Shinzon. At least then they would have gone out in a blaze of glory...

It felt like such a weak and final chapter :(

Ok so maybe Nemisis isn't the big Bang as far as most of us wanted, I have yet to see it, so maybe instead of saying that because it was such a failure let the movies for TNG just die out, why not have one more where we do get the final story that we all hope for. I dont' want to see the TNG cast killed off, but they deserve to go out with more than a wimper as far as last stories go.

Personally I will be going to see it at the movies (when we finally get it here) and will be hunting down the dvd as soon as I can get it here as well, just so I can see "all" the deleted scenes that help make up the full story.

Willz
:blpaw::blpaw:

How many attempts do they need to finish?

Nemesis was always probably going to be the end of the road for the TNG crew. Voyager, because they produced an 'end' to the series did not leave much of an opening for a proper film and all the rumours for a DS9 have been officially pooh-poohed.

Y'know, I don't really know why I was so suprised that the TNG's crew's last film was so bad having seen the appauling benchmark set by Kirk's death in Generations... :(

Originally posted by ray gower
How many attempts do they need to finish?

Nemesis was always probably going to be the end of the road for the TNG crew. Voyager, because they produced an 'end' to the series did not leave much of an opening for a proper film and all the rumours for a DS9 have been officially pooh-poohed.

Can you honestly see a DS9 movie? They had half the crew leave, evolve or otherwise be unavailable for a movie.....

Oh I know set the movie in the wormhole.....anything goes there!

I haven't seen Enterprise yet so I can't comment on the movie poss from that, but at the moment the only viable movie series is TNG, I believe that there are still some stories that they can explore and I really hope that they get the chance.

Willz
:blpaw::blpaw:

The rumour I heard (and the more I think about it, the more I realise that, sadly, it's the only option left for Paramount because Enterprise, Voyager and DS9 are NOT coming to the big screen) is a big budget film remake of TOS, with Kirk, Spock et al recast and updated for the new(ish) millenium...

I shudder at the thought...

Heavens! No not a TOS remake!

Most of them are gathering pensions and drooling after lunch by now!

But perhaps a big budget film would be a good way to promote a new series?

How about based on Sulu?
He is supposed to have been famous for some reason?