7.03: Fragile Balance

<---- not reading spoilers, not even ep synopses, so have no idea what's coming up next ---

but - just b/c the ep synopses don't mention 'Jack clone' doesn't mean he, or someone like him won't show -- I'm not saying that it'll happen - but it would be nice to get some freakin' follow up on some of the plot lines they have floating around out there!

I mean - we never hear about ANY of the worlds they visited in S1 and S2 - witha few minor exceptions --- I mean - what happened to some of those people? Does the SGC ever revist? Check up on them?

I think if the writers focused a little attention on some of that stuff- they might spend less time coming up with stupid baddies and have fewer 'on-world' episodes ----

grrr - ranting me ---

anyway - back to the ep --- I liked this one --- the High School thing sorta got me - but it didn't bother me all that much, really -

Jack did say at the end that he didn't want to keep in touch, too weird & all...

There might be a season 8. Mini-Jack might come back for an ep then. I just highly doubt it'll be this season, possible, but not likely IMO.

Originally posted by Highlander II
I think if the writers focused a little attention on some of that stuff- they might spend less time coming up with stupid baddies and have fewer 'on-world' episodes

Knowing how some of those people ended up would be good. However, I kind of like the on-world eps. I recently bought the Season One DVDs and the on base interaction is something I missed. Still, field work is what the show is all about.

This episode was great, I totally enjoy it. Specially when young Jack want to give the conference and how he ended giving it. It was a very entertaining episode.

Krystal :p

The ickle Jack was sooooo funny... he had anderson's character down to a tee..

Loved the little quips here and there.... specially towards the end when Big Jack had to thing about something and ickle Jack slapped him...

yeah little jack was so cool loved the ending, and loved seeing the charecter of Lokie brought into the show:rolly2:

I thought this episode was great.

The boy that played mini Jack was brilliant. He'd got the character down to a T.

I'm missing my RDA though. Not enough of him in episodes anymore :(

I think they're doing quite well with including RDA...I thought he'd just be absent

I went through the whole gamut of ideas watching this: "It's a 'Rascals' TNG rip-off", then "Oh No! Not the X-Files episode!", but in the end I quite liked it. The young actor was great, I'm sure he will be back, and I certainly hope so.

I loved the Jackisms: "I was going to say that!" was probably the best!

I laughed too at all the women in this thread. "He's a 40 year old in a 15 year old body. Those girls aren't safe." Speaking as a 40+ year old, I have the same morals as I did as a 15 year old. If I could had a 15 year old body again, then I think I would like to meet other 15 year old bodies too.

I wouldn't immediately want to play on Playstation2 when I was off-duty though, so that scene seemed a little odd.

Jack strikes me as a weekend gamer though, he prolly has a PS2 and plays racing/sports game to break up what little free time he has. He has that childish sense to him, he's really a kid at heart.

PS2

I can see Jack with a GameBoy or a PlayStation in his downtime.

It may also be that that was all they let the kid have to keep him occupied and out of everyone's hair until they could figure out what to do with him. :D

ROwan

Re: PS2

Originally posted by Rowan
I can see Jack with a GameBoy or a PlayStation in his downtime.

He probably does, but we haven't seen him playing before. They deliberately put that scene in to make the boy appear 'young', but as you have all already pointed out, it's only the container that is young, the contents are as old as the real Jack.

Then again, the same could be said for the scene outside the shop, as we haven't seen adult Jack as a big drinker before, because it was never necessary to the story, I'm sure that he does drink, and they did also show the boy Jack fishing later.

Thinking on this episode further, I don't like the way they have propagated the stereotypical 'clone with the memories of the original' idea. Yes... I know there was an explanation of why in the Asgard technology and the purpose, but real clones are ONLY genetically identical to the original. Pulp Science Fiction ALWAYS has clones as duplicates in every way, and this is what the general public believe them to be. I'm including films like 'Boys from Brazil' and every time 'Star Trek' has met clones in that. At least this episode explained how and why.

In 'Star Trek TNG' Riker picked up a duplicate due to a transporter accident. The duplicate then had a chance to second guess some life choices that the original Riker had had to make. Do you think they could do a similar thing with Jack?

There is a lot about Jack's marriage and son that we don't know. It couldn't be done exactly the same way as 'Star Trek' because of the age difference, and because the two Jacks already share every memory, the duplicate Riker was marooned for some years.

From the conversation at the end in the car it sounded like Jack dropped out of High School, so there is already one difference between them. It would be good to re-visit and see what else occurs and how it relates to Jack first time around.

This was one of those episodes that really irked.

There was the briefing of rocket jockeys. They won't believe Carter about how easy it is to fly, not unusual (testosterone laden and limited intelligence typical jockeys). But will believe her that the 14 year old in front of them is Jack O'Neal and the mud plugging GI knows how to fly?

Jack is more advanced (intelectually?) than anybody else in the world, let alone Daniel or Sam Carter (who at least have brain cells to rub together)?
Come on, I like the Jack character tremondously, I can relate to it. It has a simple philosophy of life- If it don't work, shoot it. But he is far from being an advanced being that can hold high intellect!

Then because they couldn't find a sensible way out, up springs a spare Asgard, like Zebberdee from the Magic Roundabout, spring on rump, puts everything right and says good night children.

The child did do a fair job of impersonating Jack, but I do not think I am impatient for his return if it leads to a poor showing like this.

Originally posted by Dave

I laughed too at all the women in this thread. "He's a 40 year old in a 15 year old body. Those girls aren't safe." Speaking as a 40+ year old, I have the same morals as I did as a 15 year old. If I could had a 15 year old body again, then I think I would like to meet other 15 year old bodies too.

See that is just too weird!! And it's not really fair on the girls since he couldn't exactly tell them who he is. But i don't think that sending him back to high school is such a bad idea, like he said it gives him a chance to be different to original Jack and if he begins to get too frustrated he can always go fishing :D or contact the air force.

Plus the episode was really funny. Especially when Sam called him "cute", he stormed into the air-force meeting, the "mini-me" part and the scene on the Asguard ship where they both kept saying the same thing :D.

Originally posted by ray gower
Jack is more advanced (intellectually?) than anybody else in the world, let alone Daniel or Sam Carter (who at least have brain cells to rub together)?
Come on, I like the Jack character tremondously, I can relate to it. It has a simple philosophy of life- If it don't work, shoot it. But he is far from being an advanced being that can hold high intellect!

I didn't see it that way, (as him having a higher intellect) We already knew that Jack did download those Ancient's files, so he must have something that the others don't, but I see now that it could be interpreted that way. Maybe he just has more RAM but a very poor processing speed!

Originally posted by Maria8475

...and the scene on the Asguard ship where they both kept saying the same thing .

Have you been watching the R1 DVDs with Closed Captioning on. It's spelled Asgard....

Also, I interperted Jack being the "missing link" as just a step forward in Evolution. He's prolly not even the only one with these DNA attributes either. It doesn't really have anything to do with intelligence, but rather let's say IQ.

It's also spelt Asgard in Germanic and Norse Mythology too.

IQ is just a measurement (crude) of Intelligence. So it must be something else that he has. He isn't the brightess member of the human race.

Evolution actually works on populations, not individuals, so Jack probably isn't the only person in the world to have this new evolutionary step. Loki only kidnapped Jack because Loki knew about Jack's history, he doesn't know if anyone else has the same ability.

Unfortunately, kidnapping a member of the SGC, and not knowing about the marker placed in Jack's DNA to prevent the cloning working correctly, these all point to Loki being less intelligent even than Jack!

But aren't the Asgard an incredibly intelligent race that won't share because humans are backwards?

Or is it that they are just plain conceited?

Evolution is also a progressive thing, so the probability is that being somewhat younger, most of the people in SGC have more of whatever it is that Jack has, assuming that whatever it is is useful.

IQ is supposed to be the measure of how much you CAN learn, not how much you know. Granted, IQ tests are biased becuase they go larglely on what you know. So Jack could have a higher IQ than Dan or Sam, he just isn't using all of his potential brain-power like they do.