Useful Writer Info and Resources

imported_iBrian

chroniclesofempire.net
I don't have any important work online at the moment - maybe soon after re-edits -

- but I have posted some very useful info and resource links here in case anyone is seriously considering going for mainstream publishing markets.

If anyone is interested, I could get around to posting up some useful research links to perhaps help with writing specifically for SF/F/H.

Thanks for those great words of caution.

Am I glad I'm only a hack fan fiction writer. Could never live with all the work to be even considered.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of aaallll ages...

...I'm now in the process of building up an extensive list of internet writing resources, by category where I can.

http://www.chronicles-network.net/forum/

It's still an ongoing project - I've only had a little time this afternoon to start - but hopefully it'll become very comprehensive.

There should be something useful there for any writer - but if you have any requests, make it there and I'll do some serious surfing to find some decent links.

And so far as I can tell, writing is something you have to arm for to become published (hopefully!). If any of it helps anybody, then best wishes to you.

Anyway, have fun,

Brian

www.spicygreeniguana.com has a list of sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and other genre print magazines and webzines that take submissions. They tell you which ones pay and which ones don't. I've had some luck w/ getting a short sci-fi story published at alienskin -- www.alienskinmag.com. They don't pay very much, but at least it's a start. I've also had poetry of a fantasy/sci-fi bent published online and in Pablo Lennis (the small print zine).

At last the Oxford English Dictionary seems to have got its self in order!

You can now browse the OED online, even more useful are the short articles on writing and how to do it better and the section on words that are often confused,

Thanks.
I confess I periodically use that one too.

The problem with Dictionary.com (for somebody this side of the pond) is that like the Websters it tends to be in American. Is that Z an S (minimise?) or should there be a U in there (colour?) and does the word I'm looking at actually mean that? (jelly?) ;)

The difference is usually marginal, but they can cause a major glitch. As Winston Churchill observed, 'Two great nations divided by a common language'

I've discovered a fantastic number of links on a website called Science Fiction Links while surfing for resources on designing worlds and aliens for RPG.

From it I've found some lists of writers links at a website called SFWRG.

Writers Markets
Writers Resources

The SFWRG site also has a good index of commonly used SF terms.

And some tips and more links from Geoffrey A Landis's homepage.

Or, maybe you'd like to do a course at McGill University in Exopolitics?

There are writers markets books that are published every year. My local Barnes & Noble has them. Unfortunately, they're not cheap, but they are a must have for a serious writer who has already written something and really wants to publish it.

http://www.winningwriters.com/

Winning writers lists ways to tell whether a poetry contest is a scam or not. They have a page of writing resources. They also have a free bad poetry contest (maybe they should call it Vogon poetry).

I found this site: www.authorzone.com and was surprised how nice it was. They let me list my book there, my bio and pic, press release, reviews, and all for free. The pages look really swell and I've already found it a useful location to send people looking for info on my book and me. It's a bit redundant to my own site, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to set up a listing there.

Apparently if you list more than one book there is a charge, though I don't think it's much money. It's worth a look if you're a self-published author and need and need a place to be seen.

Aurelio O'Brien
www.evethenovel.com

Two really helpful books I recommend to anyone serious about writing are:

The Art of Dramat!c Wr!t!ng by Lajos Egri

And

On Writing by Stephen King

I read the Egri book years ago and it was a revelation. I just finished the King book, which I found tremendously helpful and, not surprisingly, very entertaining too!

Cheers,

Aurelio
www.evethenovel.com