Save Odyssey 5 petition (and other links)

Tabitha

Save Angel!
Save Odyssey 5 petition

I know petitions rarely work, but I thought those of you that enjoy this show might want to lend your support.

I personally feel cheated, as this show was excellent from the very beginning, and we UK fans have no real recourse to show our disappointment. We can't even get onto the official site!

(ok ok we can, but only if you use an intermediary like www.the-cloak.com or anonymiser.com )

Here is the link to the petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/saveo5/petition.html

This website has a lot more info too:

http://o5.b5tv.com/

especially these tidbits:
Why did it happen?

It would seem that it's a change of direction for Showtime, rather than poor performance from Odyssey 5, that caused the decision. John Dempsey and Melissa Grego in a Reuters/Variety TV article gave the first hint that Odyssey 5 had been canceled, stating that Showtime was "reconfiguring its Friday lineup to make room for only one sci-fi series".

Alan Brennert, a producer of Odyssey 5, confirmed the news in an email in the rec.arts.sf.tv newsgroup. "Alas, Showtime canceled Odyssey this week—despite our being their highest-rated original series!" he said. "Apparently the powers-that-be want to get out of doing sf."

What can be done?
There are two routes that we can and need to take:

Alan Brennert said that Sony Pictures Television is apparantly approaching the SCI FI Channel regarding picking up the show. This is great news, but we need to back it up with fan support to get the message across.

I've found a webpage owned by "Cee" with those petition links, the o5.b5tv and loads more fan sites. Since we can't access the Showtime website outside the US, I've found that Odyssey 5 websites a little hard to find. It seems that now we have seen more of the series than they have in the US, interest is really starting to pick up.

http://odyssey5links.tripod.com/links/

Dave, you CAN get into the Showtime site (which the Sony Site is also a part of) by going through an IP cloaker site like www.anonymizer.com - unfortunately the site isn't totally functional once you are in.

Sometimes anonymiser won't let you go to that site, but there are other free cloaking sites if you do a quick search on google.

Those are a good set of links BTW, some sites there I haven't seen before.

You told me about anonymiser before (thanks) but as you say, it didn't work everytime. I have been to a Showtime page via another site, but you can't hyperlink to other pages on Showtime once you are there, so you need the exact addresses of where you want to go on Showtime beforehand.

You can also try cachéd pages at Google.

Everyone outside the US has the same problem, and every O5 site I've seen complains about it. It is probably worse for O5 fans than 'Stargate' fans, because they have so many other sites to visit, they can probably get by without Showtime.

It also seems to have become more of a problem since Showtime have not yet aired the episodes that we've seen on Sky One (crazy!!) No where else has complete episode guides (except here!!) :D

Yeh, I was surprised to see that they don't even have up to date ep info!

Did anyone knows when Showtime will give this new episodes? I'm clueless and haven't see any mention in Showtime about it. They're still repeating the old ones. :mad:

Krystal :p

Yeah, I'm not complaining either, but it is very strange. Mind you, I have also never really understood the US networks penchant for putting shows on hiatus for interminable periods of time. Take Farscape for example - there has been a FIVE MONTH break between the last new episodes and the most recent ones, that's just mental!

Originally posted by Tabitha
Mind you, I have also never really understood the US networks penchant for putting shows on hiatus for interminable periods of time. Take Farscape for example - there has been a FIVE MONTH break between the last new episodes and the most recent ones, that's just mental!

Believe me, I don't understand it either. :rolleyes: For me is more obvious when a season ends.

Well, I'm glad both of you could see it. After all there you always have to wait, I say is time that you could see it first. :lol:

I continue checking out and waiting. :(

Krystal :p

You can also e-mail program@www.scifi.com too to try and persuade them to pick it up, it is suggested where I found this to specify such things as potential merchandising, audience figures etc. rather than come across as a "fawning and/or livid fan"
:rolly2:

Hello, everybody. Hopefully there are still O5 fans out there. And here I am, way after the event, making my first post. I was successfully not adding to my number of boards but I have some information.

SFX report that Christopher Gorham has been cast in the lead role of a UPN show, 'Weapon X', about a geeky NSA agent turned superhero after being injected with nanobot chips.

I was wondering how long the cast were contracted to wait for O5 to be picked up, and now that I know that one of them's gotten work, I guess it's a bad sign for O5. Losing one cast member can be overcome (but I'd miss any one of them) but no matter how much any of them may wish to continue they can't hang around forever.

Meanwhile I'm rewatching what episodes I have so by the end of it I'll be tearing my hair out again in my need for closure!

Originally posted by UJ5

SFX report that Christopher Gorham has been cast in the lead role of a UPN show, 'Weapon X', about a geeky NSA agent turned superhero after being injected with nanobot chips.
Yeah I read that as pretty much the end fro Odyssey 5, unfortunately. I think because we have gotten to this point without any new news it is unlikely ever to resurface, and the fact that the show doesn't have the same scale of rabid fans that have campaigned for shows such as Firefly is probably going to help the show fade into obscurity.
I am still hoping for a DVD release at this point, but that too seems quite unlikely.

I too will be stubbornly keeping my fingers crossed for a DVD release, especially since I missed the pilot.

Where are you based? If you want I might be able to help you see the pilot. I'll PM you in a minute.
It was a fantastic set up to the series, and really shouldn't be missed. I have emailed SKy One alot about this show, and they keep saying they have no plans to air reruns as yet, so you might not see it on tv for quite some time.

And here was I thinking I should email Sky and ask about reruns! Right, I'll get straight to it.

Back