cheap nomex gloves and a green hat

Interesting ...

Interesting, since Jack wears a pair of half finger leather shooters gloves and the old 'baseball cap' style OD green Air Force cap doesn't have a button on the top.

I'd be a bit wary of these two items. Nomex is only worn on the flight line...

Rowan

jack does too wear a pair of nomex gloves look at any other site, and these were bought from a military web site and they read on the inside nomex fire resesitant and the hat does have a button on top ,

Hmmm - do I trust someone without giving evidence, or someone who worked in the military her entire career?

nc_chaz - please provide some evidence to back up your claim, in the face of the above challenge. Not a vague "look its obvious", type answer, or even references to unsubstantiated websites, but a list of episodes/scenes from the show where it is clear and visible that these items are worn.

PS. This thread should be in Stargate's "Merchandise" forum...

Comments...

I spent about an hour and a half going over pics. Some of the season 1 and 2 shots do show cut-finger 'black' nomex looking gloves and some show the black leather shooters style, sO I give that one. After checking with my husband - who did the whole 'go to the boonies' thing for far too many years - he commented about half the guys he knew whet leather and the other half split between nomex with leather-sewn on the palms and bear-handed when shooting.

The cap style I stand by. The od field 'baseball cap' doesn't have a button on it. None of the military field caps currently issued [note I said issue, not 'you can find it at a mil surplus site'] to filed units in the USAF have buttons on the top. The Army and Air Force shared and share cap styles. I've got two of the old baseball caps sitting around in my closet.

And I agree... this should move over to the Merchandise forum, so I'll check with one of the mods from this area about moving it.

Rowan

The only USAF baseball caps that had buttons were the colorful (and later, subdued) squadron hats that are widely worn in the USAF. One unit made us remove the buttons because of the potential FOD hazard:p

FOD

Yep, serious FOD. But not as exciting as, say, an old beer can or a McDonald's 'Big Mac' wrapper. :D

And I'll stand by my statements about Jack's cap because I've *seen* 'Jack's' cap on 'Jack's' head - ie: I've seen filming on the set and have had a chance to go through wardrobe. I haven't seen the folks film on location or anytime "Jack' has been carrying a weapon, so, as I said, I'm giving up the gloves. I agree, after reviewing various graphics, that there have been times the NOMEX gloves have been used along with the leather shooters gloves at various different times through the six years of the series.

As has practically everything else in the US and Canadian military venue - depending on what someone can find on sale.

Row

Well, I checked out the items for sale, and I agree that the cap is nowhere near standard USAF issue. I would assume that the good Colonel wears it as a personal item and besides, no one's going to give him any flak about it if the General doesn't care :D

USAF pilot gloves are sage green Nomex with gray leather palms. The gloves pictured look like what are called CVC gloves (Combat Vehicle Crewman). Basically the same thing, but black tends to show less oil/grease stains than gray, when worn in an armored vehicle environment. I've been issued the gray-palmed ones on occasion, but known a few USAF guys who got the CVC type. For heavy work they fall apart quickly as they're not really intended for rolling 500 pound bombs around on dunnage:p

Understood

I have a friend who's a 'bomb bonny' [as she calls herself] with the Air Guard in Colorado and she goes through gloves like no ones business. I've gone through a few pairs of the black ones - I think they gave me better hand protection that the standard issue black leather and certainly allow much more dexterity in the field. {I would wear a pair of cotton gloves inside if I needed extra cold weather coverage}.

Husband and many guys he knows/knew for units would wear the NOMEX as shooter's gloves - it's much more tolerant of hot barrels, etc. Black - green - was a personal prefference.

He ans I are/were both Army, FWIW - he's SpecOps, I'm medical.

Row