Is Kurt the O5 equivalent of 'Super Sam'?

Tabitha

Save Angel!
I think most O5 watchers are probably familiar with Stargate SG1 and the phenomenon of 'super Sam' - i.e. the concept that she can do pretty much everything. Kick your butt? No problem. Rig a stargate in her basement? Kids play. Be generally pretty and made-up even though she is supposed to be in the military? But of course :D

I was thinking the other night that Kurt is becoming a little bit like that - he seems to have the answers to a lot of questions, and always seems to be the one doing the expositions. "Hey Kurt, tell us again what a sentient/synthetic is?" But he is also all soft and gentle, and can sign to little girls and read them bedtime stories. He has useful (!) links in the Scifi community....

Before you all jump down my throat - I was really just saying this to spark a reaction - he does seem to be the most pro-active member of the five, although he is probably the one with the biggest faults too. Borderline alcoholism, womanising (although some may argue whether this is a fault ;) ), and a lust for making money are just a few.

And that's why you like him so much!

In your other thread, the 'who is your favourite character' poll, he is easily the winner.

I like him too though, so it's not just a girl thing, but then I like all the characters, I think the characters are the show's forte.

I do think they are in danger of making Kurt "do pretty much everything" though.

:blush:

Er, well, he is kinda foxy.

Anyhoo. I think possibly the biggest factor counting against him is that he is a bit cowardly - but to be honest that just makes him even more realistic as a character. I agree that the characters, and in particular how they are written, are the best thing (among many great things) about this show.

He's a really fun character, and although he's a bit of a coward he's really fun to watch, especially when he's around Angela. :D

Well, as for Kurt I don't know is he's going to become a super Sam, because he tends to find the answers to things more naturally than Sam. You know by try and error. He's a scientist like Sam but he feels more open than Sam to other explanations etc. :D Anyway, I like Sam's character in SG1, no matter she's always right. :lol:

Krystal :rain:

Super Sam is seriously spoiling SG1 infact most of the characters are.. apart from Tealc and Hammond.. but this aint the forum for my SG1 grumblings and I am a big fan (thats why i joined ascifi when padders created it all those moons ago <user 75 with 2 aliens how embarrasing)

Like Krystal said he pretty much has an idea and can work trial and error to a solution, he also is able to draw on his own skillset and experience (something Sam should not have- Air Force fly jets, not alien physics and steller cartography) I noticed writers tend to use characters like this as an easy way out without foiling the plot. When done wrongly it leaves us unsatisfied with the story line e.g Stargate.

I like his cowardice it makes him very natural, Too many Sci Fi characters are the natural all balanced god bless USA American type.

Its one of Oddessy 5`s endearing qualitys that the characters (so far) have been very natural and believable personas. They are most likely similiar to people you know. You can recognise some of your own qualitys in them and react to the plot as they do. I think the writer has been very clever to be able to do that.

So no hes not a Super Sam.. YET I hope it stays that way.

Ranger