Empty pyramid? LOL

Thanks Shanilka.......that is what I meant! And I wouldn't dream of barfing on anybody! That's why I was looking for the bucket!

;)

Ah ...

Perhaps I'm just a bit sensitive, being a steering member of the 'Save Daniel Jackson' campaign myself, when the actions of some of the more 'far out' fans who were not associated with the group were, over the months, lumped together in a big pot with all. After all, anyone could sign 'SDJ' after their name, but it wasn't until just before GateCon that we as a group put our names out there. [Not bad since we came together long before that].

And the moment we did, the personal attacks started.

Now, please don't get me wrong. Just because someone does unto you is not the excuse to do it back. I did not and will not now drop to the level of those who posted me back then and the few who still do. But the constant sniping does wear on ones nerves.

SDJ was/is vocal and visable, but we speak as a group when we talk after much deliberation and agreement. There were and are those in fandom who hit 'enter' before thinking. SDJ's purpose was to give folks a platform where TPTB could be accessed via the guest book, letters, etc. We didn't encourage the content but we insisted on deceancy and politness. There will always be those who refuse to discuss things as adults. Our records and database have always been open for perusal and the in letters we forwarded to TPTB we insisted on civility.

Even Joe Mallozzi has joined one of our SDJ supporter lists and chats with us freely (SG-1 Team on Yahoo). And I agree with him completely on all of us working together to help bring fandom back together. He's said on the 'Our Stargate' forum on Delphi that he's had his differences of opinion with us, but has always seen us - the steering committee - conducting ourselves as adults.

And from another chat.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

11 NOV 02: Joseph Mallozzi chats about the return of Michael Shanks and Season Seven Chat at SG1 Fans [Transcript appears here with Joe Mallozzi's permission] Sat 09-Nov-02

... As I've stated time and again, over the course of my time on the SDJ ["Save Daniel Jackson"], I've found the majority to be very respectful and mature. There are a handful that weren't and,
undoubtedly, they'll try and claim victory, etc. ...

Like I said -- I think 99 percent of the SDJ members are simply thrilled to hear that Daniel is coming back and are celebrating his return. No gloating. In fact, I've exchanged e-mails with a couple and they have made absolutely clear their desire to heal the rifts in fandom.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My appologies, Anni. I've been on the recieving end of so many many nasty posts, et all these last months, that I got a middle-of-the-night 'knee jerk' response. I'm sorry this slipped through the way it did. It becomes difficult to hear something you've worked hard on commented on and not respond in some fashion.

Rowan

Rowan.....it's okay. I understand and understood perfectly. I kept an impartial view throughout the whole thing, but I did actually understand why people were upset about Daniel.

I visited the SDJ site a few times and read the various snippets. I don't support a character to the extent where I would create an actual site, but I understand why some felt there was a need for a platform for this.

I know that many of the extreme actions were from extreme portions of the more rabid and obsessive fanbase and I also know that there were many true Daniel fans who truly believed that the show would suffer from his absence. Many of them still watched the show and gave Jonas the benefit of the doubt.

I feel for the fact that you had nasty postings. I can't understand why people would do that. It would be like someone haranguing me because I like the character of Cronus.

However, the actions of some of the more extreme factions were both scary and laughable at the same time....yet I also felt sorry for them. A complete mix of feelings. When the show killed Cronus off, I couldn't bring myself to watch the show again until Season 5, so I do understand a little of how they must have felt.
I would have liked his character to continue, but even if they had wanted it to, the actor may not have wanted it, and he's a good all round actor. He just may not have wished to be typecast. And as an admirer of his talent I would have to respect that.

So no sweat. I didn't take offence, really I didn't. Life's too short for that!!

:D :D ;)

Rants? RANTS? Who's ranting? ROTFLMAO

Bloody nora Skoon......I resemble that remark!

:eek: :lol: :laugh2: :blah: :crazy: :eek7:

hmmm, I had no idea anything...ah...sevear was going on...good thing I barley have time to check all the threads in ASciFi. I have no time for anything else. Whos been mean to our Rowan?:(

Thanks...

Thanks for the understanding. It's truely amazing what folks will send off their computers. The anonymity of the keyboard and the 'enter' key seems to free some folks of their inhabitions with startingly frequency. And it seems some folks lose those inhabitions faster than others, sad to say. It's only human to react when you feel strongly about something and Lord knows we're all human, but I have trouble understanding the concept of being hostile to the point of abusive as a means to help another see your PoV. Abuse generates a negitive 'knee-jerk' and prevents one from actually 'hearing' what's being said. Pretty much a 'lose-lose' situation all the way around.

I missed Daniel and am happy he'll be coming back. I've missed the acting of Michael Shanks and will enjoy seeing him again. I think the way Jonas was brought on board made it very difficult for folks to see the character in a clear and individual light and that Corin was done a disservice by it. What S7 will bring for all of them, the SGC and the team ... we'll have to see. I honestly hope there will be a fair melding for all the characters.

As for not liking Ron Halder - that's blasphemy. ;) I had the chance to meet him at this last GateCon [and a couple of folks went to his play one evening and brought me back a photo. :D ] I really wish they hadn't 'done the deed' to Cronus. He was a wonderful 'bad guy' - full of greatness and potential.

And Skoon ... you don't want to know. As O'Neill said in 'Prisioners' ,"Trust me on this one."

Rowan

Speaking of Jonas...

Just in on SciFi Wire:

Stargate Cast Returning

9:00am ET, 15-November-02

Stargate Cast Returning

The SCI FI Channel confirmed that Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge and Don S. Davis will return as regular cast members of the channel's original series Stargate SG-1 in the show's upcoming seventh season. Corin Nemec also returns in the recurring role of Jonas Quinn. Tapping reprises the role of Maj. Samantha Carter, Judge plays Teal'c and Davis returns as Gen. George Hammond.

Earlier, the SCI FI Channel confirmed that Michael Shanks was coming back as a regular cast member, playing Dr. Daniel Jackson and joining series star Richard Dean Anderson as Col. Jack O'Neill. The network earlier this month announced that it had renewed the show for a full 22-episode new season.

Production on the new season is slated to begin in Vancouver, B.C., early next year, for a summer 2003 launch. The remaining original sixth-season episodes will resume on SCI FI on Jan. 10, 2003.

So ... Jonas [and Corin] will still be with us in S7. Good news all around.

Rowan

ya, but as long as they don't use & abuse him & throw him on the rubbish heap!:rolleyes:

Agree ...

I agree, Skoon. I'm just pleased to see that things have gone ahead and he's still with us.

Row

LOL......... You don't have to sell me on Ron Halder, Rowan. I saw his potential and his talent the moment he stepped through the stargate in Fair Game. I would have loved the opportunity to meet him and tell him that I admire his acting, but it's unlikely to ever happen. And I doubt whether it would have weighed much with him that some middle-aged, dotty Englishwoman thought he was great.

My admiration doesn't stem from a knee jerk physical reaction it comes from a genuine admiration of a genuine talent.

But still......I saw Egypt.

And yes, I thought Cronus had the potential to be an intelligent enemy for earth to fight, one who would have rivalled Apophis, but obviously the writers had other ideas.

Still, from what I do know about Ron Halder, I doubt he's scrabbling around looking for work. Maybe he'll be in a play when I'm Vancouver and I'll go see him act.

;) :D

Jonas returns, that gets the thumbs up from me, but I wonder if 'recurring' implies that he will be demoted from a 'titles' position into a similar situation as Teryl/Doc Fraiser? I am not particularly bothered by that - in fact, I think his particular talents would probably be far more useful at the SGC rather than in the field, so it would make sense. Mind you, like many, I often questioned the sanity of sending your best theoretical physicist into the field :rolleyes: And yet they still do...

As for SDJ/kill Jonas, I avoided all of that, I liked Shanks more on balance than Nemec (same for their respective characters), but going over the top is generally not something I am a fan of :blush:

I wonder how the rabid DJ fans who crucified JQ will react to both characters staying on for S7, lets hope with some grace.

Blimey......Shanilka....that link for the stories, I went to it and read through about half of it. This is very disturbing. And the cartoons, although I had gone to them before, I didn't really register just how disturbing they were either. Of course I always knew that a certain section of fandom were terribly obsessive, but there are always extreme factions and the people who try to keep open minds are always the one's who suffer......as in Rowan getting bad mail. Unfortunately, the internet, with its anonymity is a prime motivator for such extreme behaviour. It's one of the more negative aspects of this method of communication.

I am pleased that Jonas won't be completely shoved out as a character, but I would be very sad to see his role relegated to just another 'Chevron Guy'. I still very firmly believe that nothing can go backwards...it has to go forwards. Daniel should have to re-earn his place on the team again. There should be a measure of wariness on Jack's part in accepting him back. And whatever they do with Jonas, it stands to reason that it will minimise his role in Stargate and I find that very, very sad indeed. Sad for the character and very sad for the actor, who deserves better I feel.

I am trying to be positive, but I really think that they have jumped the shark for good and all, even though for me, that happened a long time ago. A lot of people are questioning the motives of TPTB in bringing back the Daniel character, especially at this stage in the game and I don't particularly blame them. Daniel should have stayed 'gone' and I don't say this unsympathetically for those who loved the character, I understand they are delighted to have him back. But there are many of us who watched the show move forwards in Season 6, without Daniel and with Jonas.

Having now gone to many websites and other lists and read the effusive messages......"Danny is back, woo hoo!".......Said loads of fans, "Now we can get back to normal".... Said many more.... I am more wary than ever, because I think that this particular show's 'powers that be' do listen far too much to online fandom.....and the more vocal the group, the more they listen. However, I'm sure that they also have their professional and business reasons for bringing the character back. To be honest, it would make more sense to me, to bring back the characterisation of the Goa'uld, from the gutter, where they sent it.