Empty pyramid? LOL

LOL......Tabitha. I had mine beaten out of me by Elocution lessons. My mother had a horror of the accent which she said was 'barbaric'! If she could only hear my sister speak now, I'll bet she'd turn in her grave......if she had one (she was cremated!).

I don't particularly mind the accent. I lived with it for a large part of my early life, however, I thought it was very funny coming from a Goa'uld System Lord. I can't help thinking that the typical Goa'uld declarations would have far more substance and effect if they were delivered in a booming neutral accent.

:D :D

OT

I'm pretty felxable on OT's so I think you're safe. :D Discussions of a character aren't *too* far out.

And I agree completely. They're going to need to be careful on how they bring Daniel back and the integration/reintegration of SG-1 and the SGC. I'm hoping that the 'kick in the pants' of getting S7 will spur the writers.

One can hope.

As to the NHS: ARGH! I've heard such horror stories. No, I'll take VA given the choice. ;)

Row

Well as to Season 7, I may well be out of the loop for news, but is there any news about whether Corin has signed a contract yet? Also weren't they waiting for Chris Judge? Imagine the furore if either decided not to sign. Not that I think they would. I'm assuming that their contract negotiations are what's taking the time and not their unwillingness to sign.

The other thing that occurred to me was how on earth is Corin Nemec feeling about this? I'm sure he must have had some sort of doubts when he heard that TPTB had asked MS back. On the surface it almost looks as though they are inferring that he simply wasn't good enough and therefore they were swallowing their previous decision to let Michael go. I stress on the surface though, because obviously none of us know what has really gone on and never will. But the guy has made such an effort to throw himself into the whole experience, even to the extent of going to Gatecon. I call jumping in headfirst! I call that dedication! LOL. I may even call it courage above and beyond the call of duty, considering that he might have faced some very irate fans.

I find myself wondering how the two characters would interface with each other. The writers do have quite a delicate situation on their hands with this conundrum. It will be very interesting to see how they deal with it. Even if Season 7 doesn't have some kickass episodes, it should be a fascinating one to say the least, just because of this.

A lot of Daniel fans are simply jumping up and down and overjoyed he is back. They seem to be of the opinion that the team will just 'get back to normal'. It doesn't seem to be occurring to them that it may not be quite as simple as that.

;)

Corin got (IMO) the warmest reception of any of the guests at Gatecon. I was a little surprised - expecting Amanda and JR to get the biggests yells, but from where I was standing Corin had a great experience on stage.

CN

I really enjoyed talking with Corin at GateCon. He's a fun chat.

And watching him do push-ups not more than 10 feet in front of me...

... seriously yummy. [I was the lead 'auction viewer' during the auction and in the front row]

That man can workout in front of me anytime.

Row

Uhuh, he's a nice fella. Actually looks better in real life than on screen - I gather not many people can say that ;)

Gonna toss in a couple pennies here --

I'm of the mind about S7 of SG-1 as I was about S7 of BtVS - if they 'get back to basics' and do it well - I'm all for it - but if they're gonna try to pull the garbage like they have w/ S6 (no, I'm not fond of S6 - of either BtVS or SG-1), then - no thanx, I'll do something else - I'll watch, but not w/ a big smile -

Honestly, I don't care which characters are on the screen (about 4 years ago I wouldn't have said that, as I started watching Stargate b/c of RDA - I wasn't a big fan of the movie, didn't hate it, but not a big fan of it) I just want a good story - and S6 - there haven't really been good stories -- I mean, they started out okay w/ the 1st 3, but they went downhill after that -

I have said, they should just stop SG-1 and work on something else, but if they can pull the rabbit out of the hat and make it work, go for it - but I really hope they're not doing S7 just b/c everyone wants them to - that's the wrong reason. They should only be doing it if the story's not finished - there's more to tell.

Ok - I'm done now -- hi everyone!! :wave:

Yes, precisely! They should be doing S7 because the story isn't ended......and if that set of stories IS ended, then they should stop, take a little break and then bring on a sequel where the stories begin again! New stories.

I remember once reading some interviews where someone from the Buffy crew said that the series still had lots more stories to tell and although even that well produced show has had some duds, at least they always managed to pull something fascinating out of the hat. However even they are starting to crank to a halt. I think that their Season 6 suffered from the same problems as Stargate, a change of focus which didn't match the original premise. In their case it was a concentration on the Willow character.

The thing that I feel, and have always said openly, is that the premise which should have been constantly kept in mind and always referred back to was the original Stargate as a means of interstellar travel, a means of exploring both the galaxy and our own civilisation and provided a backdrop for the notion that there are LOTS of species, beings whatever out there, including some very big nasties. SG1 should NOT have become the entire focus of the show. What they should have been is an important integral part of it, just as the Goa'uld were, just as the Stargate was, but not the focus. Once you start making one integral part more important and lose sight of the whole entirely, is when things go awry and off track.

Somewhere around Season 4, in my opinion, they 'lost the plot' entirely, and I know that I'm not the only one who thought this. I think MS thought it too, but perhaps he didn't go the right way about expounding his theory to TPTB and maybe this was what led to the parting of the ways.

His character had lost not just some of the wondrous innocence the original Daniel had, but nearly all of it. He had turned into Action Jackson, and all of a sudden we had a totally military kickass team who went rampaging around killing left right and centre. I think MS tried to drag some of it back in the one with Reese and the replicators, which was one S5 episode that I actually enjoyed, despite being earth based. I also think that MS is enough of a purist actor to want things to be right.

The character of Daniel would have had to harden up to be part of such a team, but not to the extent that it did. Daniel was too much of a pure and moral character to be turned into a military machine. I, and no doubt you too Rowan, have seen people like that in the military. If they survive at all, then it's because they find a compromise between their moral code and the things the military ask them to do which is outside that code. But they are never really happy with the military role imposed on them. My ex husband was exactly like that. A square peg in a round hole. And that's what Daniel always reminded me of.

Season 7 either has the potential to be fantastic or it has the seeds of the show's complete destruction inside it. I hope it's the former, I really and truly do.

It just occurred to me that if you name any series that people consider to be great, not just in sci-fi, it probably finished at it's very prime with people begging for more episodes to be made. I can name many like that, all of them frequently repeated on TV, and people still asking if any more will ever be made.

Now consider another series that you don't miss at all, and that is hardly ever repeated. I expect you will find it on the 'Jump the Shark' website, with people discussing in detail when it started to go downhill.

I think the secret is to know when to stop, and have the courage to do that and move on to something else. That is easier to say in hindsight than at the time though.

Hmm........ I agree Dave. I think perhaps one defining 'shark jumping' moment for Stargate may well have been the episode where Martouf bites the dust. I feel that somehow, the very fact that some sort of relationship between Jack and Sam was acknowledged publicly turned the tide somewhat, although they did try to pull it back from there.

The problem with Stargate is that one of the production team and a writer for the show has allied himself too much with certain fan sites. I don't particularly feel that the crew, actors or producers visiting these sites and forums is a bad thing, because it keeps them in touch with goings on in fandom. However, the trick is to keep an impartial viewpoint while you're doing it.

Having seen and read many of the gushings and cooings going on amongst the more rabid and obsessive members of Stargate fandom, and realising that this Stargate writer was reading and participating the same stuff, I wasn't particularly surprised to see many of the things that were discussed in great depth among fans actually appearing to come to pass in episodes. The admission that there WAS some feelings between two of the principal characters was just one of those things. The desire of many fans to see Daniel become less geeky and more sexy and 'manly' for want of a better word was another.

Another 'shark jumping' definitive moment may have been the introduction of Anise. This was such a blatant ploy to add sex appeal to the show for the immature males (which could encompass any age from 13 to 80! :D ;) ) to leer at. It did nothing for the show itself. Of course Anise was introduced much earlier than the episode with Martouf's demise.

There was also a much more subtly presented 'shark jumping' moment which cannot be defined or confined to any one particular episode. Perhaps it was more of a gradual thing. But this was the steady downward stagger of the Goa'uld from horrifically menacing and very scary enemy (as played by Ra and his sidekicks in the movie) to brightly and badly dressed Pantomime characters and the sudden apparent stupidity and vulnerability of their Jaffa armies. Out of the blue, four members of a human covert team with basic technology, were taking on armies of thousands, decimating them all with their little projectile pop guns and the Jaffa seemed unable to win any ground whatsoever. SG1 could pull marvels out of their butts and save the world and the galaxy time after time again.

Hail McGyver.....McGyver lives!! (And there isn't a person in the known universe that could get me to say McGyver was a good show. It wasn't, it was pathetic and hilariously funny!)

Presumably this was so the fans could develop the 'Rah Rah Rah.....humans. Rah Rah Rah.....SG1, and therefore the Rah Rah Rah.....America' sydrome which has permeated the whole series almost from start to finish.

Ah well, I could go on, but this will go off topic in a big way.

I will dip my toes into Season 7 with great caution, but at the moment, there are very few episodes from Season 4 up to the present which haven't had me cringing at great parts of them.

Like I said before and so have others....going back to the old MO may alleviate these feelings and yet pull RDA and Co back from doing a rather spectacular 'shark jump' dressed in swimsuits and leather jackets (a la Fonzie!)

;) :D :eek:

Anni - I agree w/ you on the intro of Anise and the death of Martouf as 'shark jumping' incidents. Although I didn't hate Anise - the character herself had potential, it was her CLOTHES that were highly inappropriate - she was the only member of the Tok'ra dressed like that - she looked very out of place.

Buffy S6 (and yeah, this is OT) was weak, and was focused in the wrong direction, and they just didn't do something right, and I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it, but Joss Whedon was paying attention and knew the fans weren't happy with it, and he made a decision to 'go back to the beginning' - and he has - in a very very interesting way.

So, what Stargate needs to do, is to 'go back to the beginning' and bring us the stories that are interesting like those of S1 and S2, and even some of S3. If they can't do that, or they can't make these new stories interesting, then they just need to stop.

Back to the Beginning

and perhaps the final episode of S6, "Full Circle", will be just that. A step forward back to the beginning.

Row

Well, I guess I'm in the minority that likes S4, but let me defend myself first. I only got into Stargate & gave it a chance in Season 4, had never seen the movie & knew little of them military/AF regulations, bla bla bla...still don't really. So I liked what I saw & as I went backwards to S1 S2 & S3 I loved it even more. I was rather ...unnerved when they said S7 to come, I've prepared myself for 6 to be the end. I really wanted & still want a movie, however, as I've said in past threads, I hope that S7 doesn't skrew up the chance of having a movie. Is S7 is a flop, who'd want to see one? As for Danny coming back, I've never been a 'dool Danny fan' though I do like him. I think they've handled his departure quite well in S6 by mentioning him often & the fact that he isn't 'dead'. It'll be quite easy to reascend him, it follows past plots like with Orlan (sp?). I don't know what will happen to Jonas, perhaps it'll make good story for new conflicts btw the 5 of them & Jonas ducks out & they realize that they miss him or something. Could work.

That's exactly how it happened with me Skoon - I got hooked at the end of season 3/beginning of season 4 cliffhanger, and worked my way back with the dvds from there.

I am also very apprehensive about season 7, for similar reasons to yours - I was all prepped for 'the end'. I generally agree with Anni that what should happen is moving in a new direction with as little as possible of the old baggage.

Well I loved the film, and watched the series from the very begining! But I found the series very different to the film and didn't instantly like it, also I think that every season has it's turkeys. Even season 1 had 'Emancipation' and that was only episode 3. There is a tendancy to have rose-tinted spectacles about these things, but I think the later seasons had progressively more turkeys than the earlier ones.

I loved the film too - but before I got into SG1 it just seemed to be a bunch of people in uniform standing around in a forest/military base :D

Also it used to bug me that the name "Stargate SG1" is repetitive (i.e "Stargate Stargate 1" ;) Like the groaners in the feedback page of the New Scientist...

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not saying that any show, including Stargate, doesn't have occasional good episodes in amongst the 'turkeys' and AFTER they have jumped the shark. But these episodes only serve to torment us, by showing us what it could be like and could have remained that way if the writers weren't so desperate for ideas to titillate the viewers that they go and do tacky things.

For example. Friends - Phoebe has triplets and Rachel and Ross constantly break up and get back together. Then Rachel has a baby! Babies, sexual fulfilment (usually in the form of a romantic wedding) are the drooling fans idea of the triumphant pinnacle of a show. In reality, the show takes a nose dive as soon as a baby is introduced. Or the two protagonists get hitched. When the wedding car drives them away to an exotic, erotic, romantic honeymoon and a blissful life, they might as well hang a coffin from the rear bumper, not a lucky horseshoe. To indicate the demise of a another good idea.

And another, being the change of established regular character for new 'babe'. Star Trek Voyager rid themselves of boring old Kes and took on sultry Seven of Nine. Who was an ugly old Borg that went to bewitching beauty in one episode. From then on it ceased to be Star Trek Voyager and a quest to get home and became this angsty voyage of human discovery for Brannon Braga's dish of the day. Watch out for a whole bunch of sharks homing in.

In Stargate, for me I spotted a lonely shark fin when Anise came into being, although I agree that the character herself had potential, but the way they exposed the character through the clothing and the deadpan acting was a transparent sexual ploy and nobody fell for it. Unless of course they were a bunch of highly sexually frustrated males! I got another glimpse of the shark during the Zatarc episode and I got the strong impression that RDA himself felt uncomfortable with that whole scenario. It was something to do with his body language during the episode. I saw it and thought, this guy doesn't agree with this story line.

The final definitive shark jump was really the ascension of Daniel in all of it's tacky and badly presented glory. Oh all of that angst, the glowy scene, Oma Desala in her anally retentive corporate suit and those little cutsie pie earrings, standing there spouting rhetoric to a man who was dying in horrific agony. And the fact that only Jack could talk to him. The glowing exit through the stargate. Not to mention all the tortured angst, the setting up of websites.....Save Daniel Jackson.....the heart and soul of the show. Urgghh......barf bucket anyone?

Not that I am saying that Daniel wasn't the morality of the show, because he was undoubtedly the moral glue that held together the military arrogance of Jack, the scientific arrogance of Sam and the downright bloodthirsty vengeful Teal'c. Without him, the show fell into a morass of the 'humans are the ONLY species who are morally justified or capable of teaching the universe where they went wrong' scenario. And we're gonna do it with big honkin' spaceguns.....or big honkin' heavy machine guns.

Poor little Jonas kind of squidged into the whole thing and no wonder he spent the first few episodes wandering around with books under his arm and a huge mug of tea, looking totally lost. He was probably thinking 'Who are these people and what the f****k am I doing here? When he stood gazing longingly into the Stargate during the first episodes of Season 6, he wasn't thinking about solutions to saving earth, he was actually wondering whether, if they did activate the stargate, he could jump through to sanity before earth blew up. Taking his chances in the arms of ET (Anubis) was probably a whole better scenario than hanging with a bunch of people who actively hated his guts because his people indirectly caused Daniel to become a glowy thing which wafted through the air vents! Alternatively he was checking the Weather Channel to see which part of earth would be nice at this time of year, so that he and his fish could go there and never be in the SGC again! Provided earth didn't blow up of course.

This is why I feel that the Season should have ended with 6 and not come back for the final death throws of 7, along with a descended Daniel. Someone recently pointed out to me in a private mail that when descended and undescended are mentioned, she always thinks of testicles. Let's hope that Season 7 isn't just a bunch of descended testicles. Someone else wanted to know why I still watch and am interested.......let's just call it morbid fascination. I sit and watch while the show swings my suspension of disbelief higher and higher and I goggle and wonder, where next? I've long since given up that they will entrance, terrify and enchant me as they did in the movie and the beginning of the series, with tales of menace and an enemy that doesn't bite the dust because Jack and co snarl at them.

:cool:

Let's make a deal...

... :p

I won't barf on Jonas if you don't barf on Daniel.

Fair enough? ;)

Rowan

BTW: I believe they were Daniel's fish. :D

Rowan......I would never barf on Daniel, I thought he was the most moral character in the show and I thought it was a bad thing when he went. As for Jonas....I just always felt sorry for the character! I neither like nor dislike him. You know me.....a Cronus gal till the bitter end! ROFLMAO.

And the fish? Well, I don't know who they belonged to, but I bet they'd like it better in the warm climate of the Caribbean, Jonas could have adjoining huts with Maybourne, don't you think?

:D :evil: :eek: :D

Re: Let's make a deal...

Originally posted by Rowan
... :p

I won't barf on Jonas if you don't barf on Daniel.

Fair enough? ;)

:D

---i believe she was referring to the fans behavior, not daniel. the quote was:
"Not to mention all the tortured angst, the setting up of websites.....Save Daniel Jackson.....the heart and soul of the show. Urgghh......barf bucket anyone?"

shanilka - who would never dream of barfing on daniel or jonas.