Lathe of Heaven (2002)

Tabitha

Save Angel!
Amazon.com
For Ursula Le Guin's devoted following, the 2002 remake of the 1980 film based on her novel may not be the stuff dreams are made of. This new adaptation omits some of the original's most memorable developments (the racially equalized "grays" and the alien invasion). Lucas Haas stars as George Orr, a "little lost boy" haunted by his dreams, which, he claims, alter the present unbeknownst to anyone but him. James Caan (more menacing than was Kevin Conway in the original) costars as the self-promoting Dr. Haber, the therapist assigned to treat the suicidal young man. This "very productive relationship" most benefits Haber, who attempts to manufacture George's dreams "to fit some useful function." The requisite unforeseen consequences ensue. Lisa Bonet is ravishing, but less impressive as George's skeptical public defender who may be the girl of his dreams. The foreboding mood is enhanced by Angelo Badalamenti's score, which recalls his haunting work on Twin Peaks. --Donald Liebenson
From the Back Cover
Ursula K. Le Guin's 1971 novel of reality reshaped is one of the acknowledged classics of science fiction. Now, the visionary tale comes alive in a state-of-the-art production starring James Caan, Lukas Haas, Lisa Bonet, and David Strathairn.

For George Orr, the saying that "dreams come true" is terrifyingly accurate--his nighttime visions reshape reality. After drugging himself in an attempt to keep from dreaming, Orr is arrested and ordered to seek psychiatric treatment for his "delusions." But when his doctor realizes that Orr's power is real, he starts to manipulate Orr's dreams, with disastrous consequences.

A&E Home Video is proud to present this stirring adaptation of the story The New York Times called "a rare and powerful synthesis of poetry and science, reason and emotion."

-----------------------

I missed the first 15 minutes or so of this film, and I have to say I was a little disappointed overall. I am not familiar with either the novel or the original movie, but my disappointment really lies in the scale. This seemed much more like a long episode of the Outer Limits, albeit with slightly higher production values, than a real movie.

I would give it a hearty 7 out of 10, perhaps I would rate it higher had I seen the beginning ;)

Now out on DVD for our American friends....

I've not read the book or seen this 2002 remake, but found the original made-for-TV movie very satisfying. I saw it during the original broadcast and was delighted to see that it had been "rescued" and released on DVD.

(The six-part pilot of the anime series The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is a clever variation on the same theme.)