Michael Shanks at BOBW January 11,12

pfalcon

Its short notice I know, but Michael only just told everyone he was going to be in Oz and was willing to do something.

He is bringing his partner Lexa. She may be signing some autographs, but that will be it. We are hoping that Chris Judge will also come out too, but that is not confirmed as yet.

So, the usual BOBW convention, two days, cocktails, banquet and wrap party is all on for January!!

Contact Adele at alc@bobw.com.au for more information on prices and to make bookings.

If you've never been to BOBW, then check out photos from the last several conventions at:

www.castlesoftware.com.au/peter

It's summer in Oz in January, so why not have a holiday and come on over!?

Chris Judge confirmed!!

Adele has confirmed that both Chris and Michael will be appearing at Best of Both Worlds in January!!

In Addition, Anthony Simcoe and David Franklin (both from Farscape) will round out the guest list for the weekend. Both Anthony and David will be heaps of fun, but the real magic is going to be seeing Christopher Judge and Michael Shanks in the room together - a world convention first!!

I hope I see you all there!

See you there....

Hi,

I'll see you there...it will be lots of fun and a first !

Regards,

Arthur

Heading out

I'll be getting on a plane here at 1940 and starting the long trek to Sydney [Sea-Tac to San Francisco - 2 hours, 2 hour layover and then 14 hours to Sydney} I hope to see any ASci-Fi'ers there.

Rowan

again BOBW has guests pull out

At last minute both Chris and Michael have apparently pulled out of the event.
They have ben replaced by Peter Williams and I think Colin Cunningham but I am yet to confirm this.
There has not been a BOBW event in 4 years that the guest lineup has not changed with either a guest pulling out, dropped or the event cancelled.
I really hope that this ceases to continue as it gives all Australian conventions a "confidence" hurdle to overcome.

Please to all supporters of conventions. This is not the case for all Australian events.

Snideness does not become you.

You also have a very slanted view of things - I can think of several conventions that have run exactly as planned on the last couple of years.

You are also implying that they have somehow done something "wrong", - I would be intersted to hear exactly what you think they did "wrong"??

When you guys have run as many as they have, with as many guests each time (not just a meager one or two at a go), then and only then you may boast, not before.

Since you are obviously trying to push FSF, your opinion in thse matters is highly suspect anyhow. You might also try to get your facts straight first - an easy proposition since I'd already posted full details in the Australian section of the Stargate forums here some hours ago...

I think it's very sad that this discussion is going down this way.

Chris Judge cancelled his appearance due to too much work. Nobody could have done *anything* to *make* him come.

And about Michael: His agent called one of the con people in the middle of the night to tell her that Michael couldn't come due to family problems.
Two hours later she called again to state that it was about a 'major family emergency'.

I for one am worried and my thoughts and prayers are with Michael Shanks and his family.

I don't think anyone can aspect Michael to leave his family now - no matter the circumstances!!!

There's always the chance guests may not make it and everybody who goes and gets a ticket for a con is aware of that fact.

Here I am again.

Sorry Pfalcon, I must've missed your previous post somehow.
I guess I was somewhat angered by fsf1's post.
In situations like these it's a bit inappropriate to search for a good scapegoat.

I'm glad to read on the SOS forums that people who spent much money to fly over to Australia to see Chris and Mike on stage together stand united behind Michael and his decision *not* to leave his family now and stated that their thoughts and prayers were with him.
I think that's real strengths they are showing.

No need for arguments

My appologies to those like pfalcon who were upset by my last post. Unfortunately they were the facts. There was no snideness intended. Also when I posted there was no mention of the change to the event on the postings, and I thought people should know.
Whether I "push one con running group over another" has little to do with the fact that this happening does hurt conventions and I have cause for concern over that. I am glad to see that the support is so strong that this turn of events does not cause alarm for most of you. Then there is hope that no damage is done to everyone else.
Like you I hope that Michael's family is fine. I would not expect an actor to attend either if there was a family emergency.
Rather than cause an unwarranted argument I have emailed my "view" to pfalcon

Originally posted by summershake
I think it's very sad that this discussion is going down this way.

Chris Judge cancelled his appearance due to too much work. Nobody could have done *anything* to *make* him come.

And about Michael: His agent called one of the con people in the middle of the night to tell her that Michael couldn't come due to family problems.
Two hours later she called again to state that it was about a 'major family emergency'.

I for one am worried and my thoughts and prayers are with Michael Shanks and his family.

I don't think anyone can aspect Michael to leave his family now - no matter the circumstances!!!

There's always the chance guests may not make it and everybody who goes and gets a ticket for a con is aware of that fact.

Im with Summershake on this one. Nobody could know what was going to happen. On most convention site it does usually say that guest will appear subject to work commitments.
As for Micheal Shanks not coming well Im sure that something that nobody could tell was going to happen. My thoughts are also with Michael and his family.
I do feel sorry for everyone that has spent money on getting to the convention but these things can noot be helped.

:(

What's happening

Hello all - I'm currently sitting in Sydney. This is the info as I know it.

At 1 AM Vancouver, BC time Sunday, Michael's agent Rhonda called Adele and told her that 'Michael would not be able to come and she's call her back in a couple of hours'. At 3 AM she called back and told her that Michael was in the middle of a 'major family emergency'. Yesterday we learned that he is currently in LA with his daughter Tatiana. now - we don't know the particulars [if she is sick, if it's something to do with her mother Val, whatever] but it was important enough to warrent emergency flights and middle-of-the-night phone calls. Adele is trying to finialize a phone-link from Michael to the folks at the con for Saturday AM [working on the mechanics]. Needless to say, we're all concerned for Michael and are hopeing things work out well for himself and his family.

On Chris: He got a last minute job call and had to pull out. That's a clause written into every actor's con contract. I'm sorry that I'll miss him - he's fun to talk with.

Peter Williams: Peter has also had a last minute job come in so he'll not be with us.

Dan Shea: Dan had a movie production that was due to start 3 weeks from now contact him and move it ahead until now so he'll be unable to attend.

SO... Colin Cunningham will be joining us.

That is where things stand right now at 9 AM here in Sydney.

Rowan

Hey Row,

Welcome to Australia :D

Unfortunately money prevents me from getting to sydney, but it would have been great to catch up with you on my home soil :)

Hope you enjoy our fair country, and i'l see you in september :D

Allan

Thanks for the news Rowan. I hope you won't mind if I pass it on to some other boards. I've already posted in the Australian forum, but... I met Michael at SG4, and he's a great guy. I hope things turn out OK, or failing that he knows he's got people out here that care.

On the positive side I'm pleased for Chris, Dan and Peter. Peter told us he turned down a role on Andromeda to come to England for some events a few months ago, so I guess that means it's a good role!

Rowan Green

Invasion of Privacy !

Hi,

I am not impressed that details of something as private & confidential as why MS is unable to come to Australia this week has been made public and has been so heavily promoted. Now I have seen the same types of posts appear on various message boards & forums. It's like a wild fire that is getting out of control.
What should be realized is that this is a private matter that should never have been made public, that should never have been communicated to people. It is an invasion of MS's privacy and no one else has the right to decide what is right or wrong to do except the person it concerns themselves.

Furthermore, I cannot see how the agent would have allowed something so private & personal to be allowed to be made public in the first place. How many people did the agent tell ? One !

I will no longer be helping out or attending BOBW conventions. The reasons for this are my own and who I choose to tell. With what has been going on in the last few days, the promotion of private events for MS, I could not let it pass without putting in my two cents worth. All I can say is 'shame, shame, shame' on whoever decided it was in their interests to let out this information.

Regards,

Arthur

Arthur, I've already replied to you in the Australian forum, and I'm not going to repeat myself...

Rowan, I read your answer over in the Australia section and have to agree.

Obviously Michael wants people to know that he has a fair reason *not* to attend the convention or his agent would've stuck to the usual 'Sorry, work commitments'-line.

Anyway, it seems like things turned for the better now and I am glad because I was worried.

Respecting someone's privacy and attacking people for expressing their sentiments over someone's situation -esp. if that someone made it public- are two different things.

MS in Australia

Playing a bit of catch-up from the business class lounge at Sydney International [our flight was overbooked yesterday and I accepted an 'opt-out' untill today. Since it included a hotel overnight, dinner, breakfast and an upgrade to business class, I'm fine with it. :D ]

Although it was disappointing that Michael and Chris could not appear [disappointment being human], I had an absolute blast at the con. Being a 'Scaper' - this really was a 'Best of Both Worlds' con for me. Had lovely chats [and some downright deep discussions] with Anthoney Simko [D'Argo], David Franklin {Lt./Capt/ Bracca}, Lana Tupo {Capt. Craise - sp? and the voice of Pilot} and Jonthan Hardy {the man behind Rygel}. Wonderful men all and I promise I'll come up with a con report for the Farscape folks if I can wrap my head around it.

Colin Cunningham was wonderful and seemed to manfully handle his jet-lag from flying in at the last minute.

There are hopes of Michael and - possible Chris - making a trip back 'Down Under' later in the year and I, for one, will do everything I can to come back. The wonderful care and treatment I recieved at the hands of Adele and the con staff were the perfect cap to a fantastic trip.

BOBW - me 'ats off ta all o' ya!

Rowan