Tabitha

Save Angel!
----------------------------------------------------
Creating episode thread: Remember only
this episode should be discussed here,
or the spoiler tag used.
----------------------------------------------------

Netherworld
gs: Brieanna Mameli (Miranda Smith) Lindsay Price (Dr. Sharon Weizak) Anna Hagan (Vera Smith) Gina Chiarelli (Nurse Elaine MacGowan) Bill Mondy (Deputy Roscoe) Michael St. John Smith (Mike Kennedy) Biski Gugushe (Ken) Kevin Blatch (Marco) Dominic Louis (Johnny Bannerman Jr.)

The line between fantasy and reality blurs for Johnny when he awakens to find himself married to Sarah and is the father of her two children. It's as if the accident that drove him into a coma never occurred, and only he remembers it. As he proceeds through his new life, Johnny starts to see a series of disturbing images of people, starting at a mall during an art festival, hideously burned and images of fire trucks and fires. Then during his now-living mother's party he paases out with a brief vision of being back in a coma. He wakes up in a mall with Bruce back in his normal life, having passed out. He realizes the art festival is about to have a major bomb explosion as he keeps fuguring between his different "lives". In his "dream life" he tries to convince everyone to search the mall for a bomb but he sees the mall go up in flames because of an arc-welding accident...and wakes up again back in his "real life" and sees the same accident about to happen. He stops it just in time...leaving him to wonder about the life that might have been.

b: 04-Aug-02 pc: 1005 w: Michael Piller s: David Goldsmith d: Robert Leiberman

NOTE: Originally scheduled to air July 14, 2002 after the episode, "Enigma." A schedule change/flip was made on June 26 where the episode, "Unreasonable Doubt" was aired in its place.
* Instead of airing on July 28, 2002, another schedule change/flip was made on July 15. The episode, "Enemy Mind" aired in its place. Michael Piller said the adding of special effects to "Netherworld" during post production was the reason for the episode's delayed broadcast.
* Aired on the "Sci-Fi Channel" on September 6, 2002

[Info from www.epguides.com/deadzone ]

5 Stars!

Just saw this episode and I have to say - it was my favourite so far by about a million miles. Although this could perhaps be because I am a big sucker for alternate reality storylines.

Johnny's incredulity at the beginning of the episode was fantastic comedy acting - his fish-out-of-water act was only made better by how easily he slipped into the 'act'. The inevibility of his fantasy's end was quite depressing - how much would you have liked for him to have been able to live out his perfect life? But alas no... if that happened we would be deprived of one of the best things on the telly right now!

I loved his disorientation, and the fact that none of his 'dreams' seemed to make much sense at all. What I didn't like was the fact that he felt the need to tell Sarah. If he was sure that he was going to wake up from this perfect dream - why did he tell her and ruin the little time he had left? But really, I suppose I am just nitpicking here :D

Loved the episode... :smilej:

I too am a sucker for the alternate reality thing and I really enjoyed this episode.

Tell what made me think tho, you know the whole point of this 'new' reality was that he never had the car accident and didn't get the visions - so we have different stories for different people, the Nurse Elaine's daughter did die in the fire, that kind of thing. Did anyone else wonder what happened different in this reality so that Johnny's mother didn't die ?? I have a bad feeling about the bloke from MASH - there is definately something not quite right there and my paranoia chip tells me that maybe J's Mother died whilst he was in a coma cos of something to do with Rev Purdie - after all his organisation did inherit a hell of a lot of money. Of course it could be that she died cos she couldn't handle the whole accident/coma thing, and maybe I missed an explanation there - someone let me know if I did

Also, the episode kind of reminded me of the ST-TNG Episode The Inner Light, where Picard is unconscious for 30 minutes and in that time lives a whole other life.

thats a good thing tho, cos The Inner Light is one of my fave TNG eps

Hmmm, that's a good question. I thought that they were going to go down the road of "these are all the awful things that happened because you weren't here to stop them", I was quite refeshed to find that this is not how the story was, but it seems as if a few things were different (i.e. Johnny's mother beng alive & his relationship with Sarah having continued and grown) but other than that everything was happening as it would have without Johnny's powers.

Did that make sense? :confused:

I think the answer really is that this is Johnny's imagination, so he doesn't have to worry about causality and explaining to us why things didn't happen in the way they should, or did.

Rev Purdie does seem a bit sinister, doesn't he? I missed the first episode, so if we learn something startling about him then please don't spoil. The only out and out dodgy thing we have really learned about the rev is when he had a very ambiguous conversation with the reporter a few eps ago. But even that wasn't that serious...

And that is a good reference to The Inner Light, it did kind of have that feel to it, I agree.

To be honest when the episode started I thought "What on earth is going on?????"

BUT obviously after a short while cottoned on to the fact that Johnny was imagining it or experiencing a different life, I sort of guessed there had to be an ulterior reason for the 'change' of lifestyle. It was funny tho when you saw Johnny seeing his daughter for the first time. LOL

annette :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back