Earl Grey Tea...any significance???

Eway

Electronic Waymon
We all know Picard prefers Tea...Earl Grey...Hot.

I was watching Contact recently and noticed that Hadden Suit ordered Earl Grey Tea.

I found it weird that they...(the writers) made a point to tell us on two occasions that the man only drank Earl Grey tea. And then the fact that Picard, so so engrossed in humanity, and ritual, and meaning, that it just makes me think that there is some significance to Earl Grey Tea.

Has anyone noticed this?

Am I just reaching for something?

Dave???

Originally posted by Eway
Dave???

:lol: The man with the answers, right?

What significance could there be? Should we all be drinking Earl Gray to enhance our command or whatever skills, or perhaps is it just 'cos the writers think it sounds kinda posh and/or poncey?

General Sir Charles Grey, was one of Britain most important military commanders. I think the Tea is named after him. I was thinking that maybe he was a exployer er, uhhh, hmm...I just don't know!!!!!!!

ah... perhaps you are on to something here - does this mean that Janeway is up xxxx creek 'cos she drank black coffee? ;)

So, what did Sir Grey discover? I haven't heard of him before, but it is likely that there could be something to this idea, Eway.

Charles Grey, 2nd Earl Grey of Howick (1764 - 1845)

Born at Falloden (near Embleton) as Charles Grey, he was the son of a British general who had won several battles in the American Wars of Independence. He was elected as Whig MP for Northumberland at the age of only 22. He went on to become British Prime Minister from 1830 to 1834 and presided over the passing of the Reform Act of 1832 which brought the principle of equality and "one man, one vote" into the British parliamentary system. In addition, as foreign secretary in 1806 he had carried through the abolition of the African slave trade and as Prime Minister abolished slavery throughout the British colonies. As Prime Minister, he once sent a diplomatic mission to China and by chance the envoy saved the life of a Chinese Mandarin. In gratitude, the Mandarin sent the Earl a specially scented tea, flavoured with oil of Bergamot. Today, Earl Grey tea is the world's most popular blend. Grey's Monument was erected in the heart of the City of Newcastle as a testimony to the Earl's popularity amongst the people. His gardens at Howick Hall where he lived for much of his life may still be visited.

So yes it is possible that Picard is trying to emulate Lord Grey.

Personally I think it is more likely to be the fact that Earl Grey is very much an acquired taste, and they wanted to make sure people thought him stuffy.

As a confirmed tea drinker; I would rather drink coffee than Earl Grey

god I feel dumb now - how could I have not know that? I did spend a lot of my degree studying british history after all :rolleyes:

Didn't know 'til I looked him up.

But it puts another slant on Data doesn't it.

We have a robot, attempting to emulate a human that is inturn trying to emulate somebody from history.

Originally posted by Tabitha
Dave??

:lol: The man with the answers, right?

Thanks for that vote of confidence, but even I learn new things here.

I never realised Earl Grey Tea was named after 'that' Earl Grey. I thought that it was just something they picked at random for Picard, and that it could have easily been Assam Tea. The story of the Chinese Mandarin is interesting.

I had to study the 1832 Reform Bill for British History too, I think every school kid in Britain has to.

Grey's Monument is something of a central focal point in Newcastle city centre. The statue at the top of the column, of the Earl, was sculpted by Edward Baily, afterwards chosen to create Nelson's Column in Trafalgar Square, London in 1839.

His birthplace, near Embleton, is very near to the place that I first met my wife.

Sorry, but I'm listening to the new Mark Knopfler album 'The Ragpicker's Dreams' -- the one with 'Why Aye Man' on it, and it's making me homesick!

BTW if you are wondering what exactly a Bergamot [BER-gah-mot] is, because I never knew....

"A small acidic orange with a peel that yields an essential oil ­ called essence of bergamot ­ which is used for perfumes and confections. The peel is used in Earl Grey tea. It's also candied and used in the same way as other candied fruit peels."

Perhaps we ought to have a General Knowledge Forum for all the useful titbits we never knew before?:lol:

Always thought Bergamot was a type of grape!

Earl Grey is the summit of all tea. It is no ordinary tea. When you have a cup of earl grey, you boldy go where no one has gone before! (well, some have). Personally I think it's just to sound posh.

Now I'm not so sure that there is any relevance. According to Scifi Pulse, Patrick Stewart's original suggestion for Picard's favourite tea was Lapsaang Soo Chong.

Lapsaang is certainly a posher tea.

Unfortunately, it is claimed, during filming 'Encounter at Far Point' nobody (apart from Stewart) knew what it was.

Lapsang Souchong Fujian black tea given a smoky flavour through processing with smoke. The name is derived from Zhengshan Xiaozhong, meaning "Sub-variety" (Xiaozhong) of genuine Wuyi Mountain (Zhengshan) tea.

Earl Grey What is called the legend of Earl Grey is that a packet of it and the recipe were given to Charles Grey, the second Earl Grey, when he was British prime minister (1830-1834) as a token of appreciation after a diplomatic mission to China. In a rare moment of British-Chinese friendship during the otherwise hostile century of the Opium Wars, a Chinese official receiving them was in danger and a member of the British group had saved his life. The Earl had the tea made in England for his personal use, then much later the family allowed it to be made for public sale.

Originally posted by ray gower
...it is claimed, during filming 'Encounter at Far Point' nobody (apart from Stewart) knew what it was.

That's not that surprising since Americans really don't drink Tea, but considering this is the 24th Century, won't we all be speaking Chinese and drinking Tea?

I suppose he had to add 'Hot' to his description because of the terrible American habbit of adding ice to tea:dead:

As for Chinese, blame the Universal Translator!
Ever noticed that whatever language the computer consoles display, it isn't English?

I suppose he had to add 'Hot' to his description because of the terrible American habbit of adding ice to tea:dead:

As for Chinese, blame the Universal Translator!
Ever noticed that whatever language the computer consoles display, it isn't English?

Americans do not ADD ice to tea, they drink iced tea which is a drink pretending to be tea , served cold with ice but is in fact made mostly of sugar,it may or may not contain 'natural flavor and/or artificial flavor and/or a whole range of crap and it is recent ( not sure exactly when that dumb fad started but I would guess somewhere during the 1980s, considering how long people have been drinking tea, that IS recent lol )

Though real tea drinkers in america drink normal hot tea. Im canadian and I drink hot tea, without ice though I do add sugar ( or when Im blessed with enough money , honey rather than sugar.) I also sometimes add either a few drops of lemon juice, some cinnamon or nutmeg. I also sometimes try other different additions such as mint, I like to experiment and discover new flavors, though I find iced tea incredibly boring, tea should be hot anyway.

But I have to admit that our southern neighbors have a hard time telling the difference between real tea and iced tea, that should not be surprising since they consider Pabst to be a 'beer' company.

Iced tea and tea are two totally different drinks :) It's like comparing coca-cola with coffee. They serve very different purposes.

I do like tea, but living in Texas, I also like iced tea - when it hits 100 degrees and up, I can tell you that it is very refreshing! Makes a good accompaniment to a meal too. Especially as I have a dislike of carbonation.

I'm a Maracuja man myself. Earl Grey is in no way posh (trivia time: does anyone know what p.o.s.h. stands for - WITHOUT looking it up on the Internet!). Earl Grey is one of the most common and most commonly known of the "specialty" teas.

And Mr. Tom I do beg to differ about iced tea. Of course it is real tea!!!!! Maracuja makes a great iced tea. Served hot or cold it is still tea.

Okay so I'm a tea snob. Guilty as charged. lol.

BTW, if you want to check out more teas than you ever dreamed of, THE place for tea in the U.S. is The Upton Tea Company.

http://uptontea.com/shopcart/home.asp?UTid=347-12-7710212&afterCart=/shopcart/home.asp&

If you're thinking Port Out, Starboard Home, that one is a myth, isn't it?

I wouldn't say Earl Grey isn't posh -- it's certainly on tea menus in very good tea rooms, though I agree there are others which are far more esoteric. As to the (very old) opening post, I imagine that in part it's the "feel" of the name. The words "Earl Grey" in Patrick Stewart's patrician tones makes everything seem very much more English and, as a result, high class and cultured :)p) in a way that might not have been the case if he'd asked for Darjeeling. (And yes, I know he's meant to be French, which is where it all falls down. :rolleyes:)

I find both Earl Grey and Lapsang Souchong to be virtually undrinkable, as well as over-priced.

I suppose a lifetime of cheap blends in teabags will do that to a palate. Strangely, hot tea on a hot day IS very refreshing

Judge, no it is not a myth. And your answer is correct. It was an easy mnemonic for passengers (upper class passengers, of course) to remember which side of the ship to book a cabin. In this way their cabin's always faced south which were the warmer rooms. On the cold North Atlantic in the days before central heating, it made for a much more pleasant voyage!

Back