Prequel Poll: Who was the better Anakin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabitha

Save Angel!
Uber moppet Jake Lloyd or hunky (apparently) Hayden Christensen?

I wanted to string the little kid in TPM up - I think it was terrible casting, and there were only a few moments in the film when he wasn't absolutely hateful - for example when he was leaving Shmi, I still tear up at that scene.

The portrayal of Anakin in AOTC was much more satisfying. I think in this case, any distaste I had for Anakin was based in the cocky petulance of the character, and not the way he was portrayed, so I think HC gets my vote.

A lot of people didn't like the way Hayden portrayed Anikan and while there were some things that bugged me I can't be sure it wasn't just the character and maybe the way he was directed. I've seen him in things before and he's not that bad an actor. I however did not really like Jake. Nothing against the kid but his portrayal left me totally cold towards the character so I also went with Hayden on this.

I really didn't like either of them. I grew to accept them as Anakin and appreciated the story for what it was. Take solice that they didn't detract from the movie too much. I LOVED AOTC so I guess he couldn't have been that bad!!!

I agree - AOTC was a superior film, I wonder how much that would affect our decision on this one?

Well, like I said...I really didn't like either actors portrayal of Anakin. I'm just glad the movie "worked" on some level!

Okay - you didn't like the portrayal, but could have it been done better? What would the difference have been? I think it would be a hard role for anyone to try, simply because of the 'history' that we all already know.

Well, let me take a little step back and say I was put off by Anakin and his obvious psychological problems. In that respect...maybe Christensen did a good job! I may grow to love his portrayal.

Psychological problems - it is obvious that he had serious problems from a very early age - what Anakin doomed from the beginning? Could it have been any other way? The force and jedi training aside, it almost seems that Anakin's background was ever destined to doom him.

Or is that just modern day pseudo-psychology speaking?

I had to choose Hayden as firstly The Phantom Menace was weak film and i didn't particularly like Anakin, he was a little bit annoying. Hayden's acting did seem a little dead at times but that could be representing his psychological problems . I guess what tipped it over is that i think Hayden's pretty cute!! Trust me to go for the looks!

Psychological problems - it is obvious that he had serious problems from a very early age - what Anakin doomed from the beginning? Could it have been any other way? The force and jedi training aside, it almost seems that Anakin's background was ever destined to doom him.

I agree with you here. I think with everything he went through as a child coupled with the fact that he had no father figure to speak made it so that he wanted to become someone powerful. So he trains as a Jedi in the hope of being able to protect the people he loves from having bad things happen to them. Then his mother gets killed and he starts a steepening descent into darkness because he maybe comes to think it's the only way he can keep Padme safe. If that made any sense at all.

:blush:

Of the two I liked Hayden a lot better. Don't even get me started on Jake's performance, that would take up way too much space.

Oh go on Lonewolf, I love to hear rants :D

Dia - your ideas are interesting there. I wonder if the third film will really essay his reasons - I hope we get a lot of detail on this point.

I'm hoping so too, although it seems that they tend to leave a lot of that kind of stuff to the watchers imagination so we'll just have to wait and see.

oh and RANT! RANT! RANT! :rolly2:

Sorry I've been away so long...

But you finally got my vote on this one, too. And here's the rant:

I wanted to string the little kid in TPM up - I think it was terrible casting, and there were only a few moments in the film when he wasn't absolutely hateful - for example when he was leaving Shmi, I still tear up at that scene.

Exactly. Jake just isn't that good an actor. Lucas chose well as far as casting someone who LOOKED like the kid he needed, but Jake's acting is flat, unemotional. And Anakin needed to be EMOTIONAL.

Problem with this is, I don't think it's all Jake's fault. There were times in AOTC that even Natalie's performance was flat and unemotional and that's all on Lucas. His directing is, at times, too heavy handed. His personality is all over these performances. I think Hayden could have been better, too, if there had been another director. Lucas is just too out of touch with today's audiences (today's world, really) and he's too much of a control freak to really allow these awesome performers to do what they do best.

Natalie and Ewan are two of the best actors in the world right now, and I don't think they're really taken seriously anymore because of SW. :( Sad but true. And it's not them... it's Lucas.

'Nuff ranting. Later. :p

Re: Sorry I've been away so long...

Originally posted by pkgrl
Jake's acting is flat, unemotional. And Anakin needed to be EMOTIONAL.

Natalie and Ewan are two of the best actors in the world right now, and I don't think they're really taken seriously anymore because of SW. :( Sad but true. And it's not them... it's Lucas.

I don't think I would go as far as to say that McGregor and Portman are being affected badly because of these choices. I think the effect would be limiting from the point of view of time - they have had to dedicate a great deal of their time to film these movies, and this would obvious prevent them from taking other offers. I recognise that they are both very talented, but I think they were both established enough that these roles will not pigeon hole them.

Lucas's direction does badly misuse their talents though. Particularly in the first film, it seemed like such a waste.

I have an amazing image of Lucas saying "No, no, no, give me less", I wonder how exactly he gets these performances from the actors, and how much is to do with the script. Are the actors allowed any input into the script at all?
Could Lloyd's performance have been better with more skilled direction? Possibly I suppose...

Well, so far I have to vote neither do it for me. Didn't like the performance of Anakin in both movies. :mad: Nothing personal to the actors I just think the character have so many flaws that didn't make me enjoy it.

Krystal :p

Well, I have to disagree with you there, Krystal. I think Jake's a passable actor and Hayden can be really good, but only with the right director.

The character of Anakin/Vader is great. There are tons of layers, awesome internal conflict that is manifested outward, and a complex family history. These are details that I love. I even like Boba Fett more now that he has a history.

I still think it's the heavy-handed direction that dulls the performances. :(

Originally posted by pkgrl

The character of Anakin/Vader is great. There are tons of layers, awesome internal conflict that is manifested outward, and a complex family history. These are details that I love. I even like Boba Fett more now that he has a history.

I still think it's the heavy-handed direction that dulls the performances. :(

Hey! don't worry that is what makes movies so great, its touch people in different ways. ;) I agree the character of Anakin/Vader is great, also it have a tons of layers to play. But I think they didn't play it in both movies. As I say I don't like the performances but I'm sure probably the script have a lot to do also. I don't know any of the two actors before and don't think they're bad actors. Only that personally for me I don't like both of their Anakin representations. I was probably expecting so much more of this character. So maybe another actor wouldn't make the difference anyway. :p

I have to agree with the Boba Fett story, that was one of the things I enjoy of Attack of The Clones. It make me understand more where Boba Fett comes from as a character. It was so cool to see his story as a boy.

Krystal :D

Status
Not open for further replies.