The West Wing - more than just good tv

Josh : Victory is mine, victory is mine, great day in the morning people, victory is mine. Donna, bring me the finest muffins and bagels in the land.
Donna : This is going to be an unbearable day.

*sigh...* ^^

How did I know you'd find this forum :D

You still have to find that Mallory/Sam quote for me.

Bartlet: Why are you smiling?
Toby: Happiness is my default position.

Ainsley:"Sam, do you think there's any chance that you could be rude to me tomorrow? Tomorrow is Saturday; I will be here. You can call me and be rude by phone or you can stop by and do it in person. 'Cause I think if I have to endure another disappointment today from this place that I have worshipped, I am gonna lose it. So if you could wait until tomorrow, I would appreciate it." (awww)

Hmmm... Not sure which one you are talking about... but is this it?

Sam : Ms. O'Brian, I understand your feelings, but please believe me, when I tell you that I am a nice guy, having a bad day. I just found out The Times is publishing a pole that says, that a considerable portion of Americans feel that the White House has lost energy and focus. A perception that is not likely to be altered by the video footage of the President riding his bicycle into a tree. As we speak, the Coast Guard are fishing Cubans out of the Atlantic Ocean, while the governor of Florida wants to blockade the port of Miami. A good friend of mine is about to get fired, for going on television and making sense. And it turns out, that I accidentally slept with a prostitute last night. Now, would you please in the name of compassion tell me which one of those kids is my boss's daughter?
Mallory : That would be me.

YAY!!!! That's the one. I love that bit :D

oh how about:

Josh: Sam's getting his ass kicked on TV by a girl!
Toby: Bring the popcorn.

Ok... this is from one of your favourite eps, 'A Proportional Response', where Charlie first comes in.

JOSH: You’re overreacting.

C.J.: Am I?

JOSH: Yes.

C.J.: As women are prone to do?

JOSH: That’s not what I mean.

C.J.: That’s always what you mean.

JOSH: I really think I’m the best judge of what I mean, you paranoid Berkeley shiksta
feminista! ... Whoa. That was way too far.

C.J.: No, no. Well, I’ve got a staff meeting to go to and so do you, you elitist, Harvard
fascist missed-the-Dean’s-list-two-semesters-in-a-row Yankee jackass!

JOSH: Feel better getting that off your chest there, C.J.?

C.J.: I’m a whole new woman.

yeah there were some great quotes early on.

C.J.: Is there anything I can say, other than the president rode his bicycle into a tree?
LEO: He hopes never to do it again.
C.J.: Seriously. They’re laughing pretty hard.
LEO: He rode his bicycle into a tree.
C.J.: What do you want me to --
LEO: The President, while riding a bicycle on his vacation in Jackson Hole, came to a sudden arboreal stop -- What do you want from me?
------
LEO: Margaret. Please call the editor of the New York Times crossword and tell him that ‘Khaddafi’ is spelled with an h, and two d’s, and isn’t a seven letter word for anything.
MARGARET: Is this for real? Or is this just funny?
LEO: Apparently, it’s neither.

Later
LEO: (on the phone) Seventeen across. Yes. Seventeen across is wrong. You’re spelling his name wrong. What’s my name? My name doesn’t matter. I’m just an ordinary citizen who relies on the Times crossword for stimulation. And I’m telling you that I’ve met with the man twice, and I’ve recommended a preemptive Exocet Missile attack against his airforce. So, I think I know how to--
C.J.: Leo!
LEO: They hang up on me. Every time.
C.J.: That’s almost hard to believe.

-------
oooh i also found more of the Sam and Mallory bit :D
MALLORY: Hi.
SAM: How ya doin’?
MALLORY: I’m sorry to be rude, but are you a moron?
SAM: In this particular area, yes.
MALLORY: The 18th president was Ulysses S. Grant, and the Roosevelt Room was named for Theodore.
SAM: Really?
MALLORY: There’s like a six-foot painting on the wall of Teddy Roosevelt.
SAM: I should’ve put two and two together.
MALLORY: Yes.
SAM: Look, the thing is, while there are really a great many things I can speak with authority, I’m not good at talking about the White House.
MALLORY: You’re the White House Deputy Communications Director and you’re not good at talking about the White House?
SAM: Ironic, isn’t it?
MALLORY: I don’t believe this--

Leo: You have an interesting conversational style, you know that?
Ainsley: It's a nervous condition.
Leo: I used to have a nervous condition.
Ainsley: How did yours manifest itself?
Leo: I drank a lot of Scotch.
Ainsley: I get sick when I drink too much.
Leo: I get drunk when I drink too much.

Mrs. Landingham : In my day we knew how to protect ourselves.
Leo: Well, in your day you could fight off the Indians with a Daniel Boone musket, couldn't you?
Mrs. Landingham : Ah, sarcasm - the grumpy man's wit.
Leo: Go sharpen a pencil, would you?

--

Charlie: Zoe and I are going out, Leo
Leo You're taking protection, right?
Charlie: Leo, that's kind of personal.
Leo: I meant Secret Service but thanks for the image.
Zoe: Good night, Leo

--

Toby: You think the United States is under attack from 1200 Cubans in rowboats?
Sam: I'm not saying I don't like our chances.
Toby: It's mind-boggling to me we ever won an election.

Originally posted by FeedMeTV

Toby: It's mind-boggling to me we ever won an election.

I LOVED THAT! Toby is sooo funny :D

Leo : "With everything that's going on, I don't think we need to be marriage counsellors too."
Toby : "Well, yeah, because you and I would be so good at it."

------

Doug : "It's a simple equation. Bartlet rules America; America rocks; therefore Bartlet rocks."
Sam : "'America rocks'?"
Toby : "'Bartlet rocks'?"
Doug : "Yes."
Josh : "He really... doesn't... that much."

----

CJ : "I want you to get with one of your friends in the press room from a conservative paper."
Ainsley : "You really think we have a secret handshake, don't you?"
CJ : "Do you?"
Ainsley : "Yes."

------
Bartlet : "Josh!"
Josh : "Yes sir."
Bartlet : "A ballerina?"
Josh : "Yeah, I... I didn't know... what it was at the time... I... I liked the word."
Bartlet : "We'll go with that for now."

:D :D :D

Originally posted by Maria8475
Bartlet : "Josh!"
Josh : "Yes sir."
Bartlet : "A ballerina?"
Josh : "Yeah, I... I didn't know... what it was at the time... I... I liked the word."
Bartlet : "We'll go with that for now."

:D :D :D

When I first watched that bit, it made me laugh for ages! Ah, the imagery!!!

----------

C.J.: The more photo-friendly of the two turkeys gets a Presidential pardon and a full life at a children's petting zoo; the other one gets eaten.
Bartlet : If the Oscars were like that, I'd watch.

Originally posted by wikiberry
C.J.: The more photo-friendly of the two turkeys gets a Presidential pardon and a full life at a children's petting zoo; the other one gets eaten.
Bartlet : If the Oscars were like that, I'd watch.

Haha I love that one!!

Toby: "The fate of the world just hung on a Bingo Bob brainstorm... we need a better plan."

From The Warfare of Genghis Khan (which i just watched and loved :D)

one more from sam and mallory...
Sam: It's my day of jubilee.
Mallory: I despise you and everything you stand for.
Sam: All right, my day was a little bit better a few seconds ago but that's all right.

Six Meetings Before Lunch

~~~

Mandy Hampton : Mr. President, if you could also see your way clear to not answering that question like an economics professor with a big old stick up his butt, that would be good too.
Bartlet : I am an economics professor with a big old stick up my butt, but I'll do my best for you, there, Mandy.

~~~

Bartlet : I could jump you right now.
Abbey Bartlet : I could kill you right now.
Bartlet : My idea is more fun.

[the President neglected a formality transferring executive power before going into surgery]
Margaret : Can I just say something for the future? *I* can sign the president's name. I've got his signature down pretty good.
Leo: You can sign the president's name?
Margaret : Yeah.
Leo: On a document removing him from power and giving it to someone else?
Margaret : Yeah. Or do you think the White House Counsel would say that's a bad idea?
Leo: I think the White House Counsel would say that's a Coup D'Etat.
Margaret : I'd probably end up doing some time for that.
Leo: I would think. And what the hell are you doing practicing the president's signature?
Margaret : It's just for fun.
Leo: We've got separation of powers, checks and balances, and Margaret, vetoing things and sending them back to the hill.

~~~

Toby : It couldn't have gone far, right?
Sam: Right.
Toby: Somewhere in this building is our talent.

~~~

Leo McGarry : He's a klutz, Mrs. Landingham, your president's a geek

~~~

[during the president's physical]

President Bartlet : So, how's my pulse?
Morris Tolliver : Have you been running up and down the stairs in the past few minutes?
President Bartlet : No.
Morris Tolliver : Than it's not that good....

President Bartlet : What is that?
Morris Tolliver : It's a flu shot.
President Bartlet : I don't need a flu shot.
Morris Tolliver : You do need a flu shot.
President Bartlet : How do I know this isn't the start of a military coup? I want the secret service in here right away.
Morris Tolliver : In the event of a military coup what makes you think that the secret service is going to be on your side?

You know a series is well written when you can find this many quotable moments :D

CJ: "Smart offense."
Will: "Error-free ball."
Josh: "Knock yourselves out, but he's a slam dunk."
Toby: "Okay, that's one too many sports metaphors."

----
Will: "We're having trouble with the Democrats."
CJ: "Wow, along with the Republicans. That's kind of everyone."

-----

Will: "Who is Robert Russell?"
Josh: "He's the Congressman from Western Colorado, and I don't mean the state, I mean the mining company."
Toby: "Bob Russell is not presidential."
CJ: "...Is he Bingo Bob?"

-----
(About Bob Russell :D)
Will: "The President wants more altitude. I'm having conscience issues."
Toby: "Well, I'm sure you've had to say things you haven't meant before. You've read friend's poetry, had girlfriends... just hold your nose and hype him."

-----

Toby: "In a triumph of the middling, a nod to mediocrity, and with gorge rising, it gives me great nausea to announce Robert Russell - Bingo Bob, himself - as your new Vice President."
Will: "This lapdog of the mining interests is as dull as he is unremarkable..."
Toby: "...as lackluster as he is soporific. This reversion to the mean..."
Will: "...this rebuke to the exemplary..."
Toby: "...gives hope to the millions unfavored by the exceptional... Bob Russell: not the worst, not the best, just what we're stuck with."

Just re-watched Game On, which has got to be high on my list of fave eps :D And reminded me of a whole bunch of cool quotes.

C.J: He's not a little bit crazy?
TOBY: Albie Duncan?
C.J: Yeah?
TOBY: No... no... no. A little bit.
C.J: TOBY!
TOBY: He's gonna be great. You'll see to it.
C.J: I'm crazy about the roundness of your head.

TOBY: I need you to back up Albie Duncan.
ANDY: Is he crazy?
TOBY: No, no, no, a little bit. No. Look, he's Albie Duncan. he was in the Eisenhower State Department. He's briliant, he's respected, he's a Republican. If he's crazy then I don't want to be sane.
ANDY: You're not.
TOBY: Excellent.

REPORTER: Mr. Bailey, we're all sitting here pretending this is a regular press conference and you're very engaging up there, but your candidate died, so why isn't this all a little preposterous?
WILL: Chuck Webb is a seven-term Congressman who, as chairman of not one but two Commerce subcommittees, has taken money from companies he regulates. He's on the board of the NRA and once challenged another Congressman to a fist fight on the floor, over an amendment to make stalkers submit to background checks before buying AR-15s, AK-57s, Street Sweepers, Mac-10s, Mac-11s. He's joined protests designed to frighten pregnant women.
REPORTER: What's your point?
WILL: There are worse things in the world than no longer being alive.

LEO: There's no such thing as too smart. There's nothing you can do that's not gonna make me proud of ya. Eat'em up. Game on. :D

ABBEY: "By the way, I feel bad. I don't think I've done enough to help you prepare for this debate."
BARTLET: "Why are you telling me this now?"
ABBEY: (she cuts off his tie) "Just 'cause."
BARTLET: "Oh my god! You're insane! Are you... you're insane! Charlie!!
ABBEY cackles
CHARLIE: "Josh, he needs your tie."
JOSH: "What the hell!?!?"
(I loved this scene, especially when they're all tripping over each other to try and get the new tie on the President :D)

I loved the tie scene too! That whole episode was really good even though I didn't understand what they were all saying half the time :rolleyes:

I have started watching this (finally!) and am halfway through the first series.

Everyone talks like characters in a 1930s screwball comedy (and rather how I imagined the characters in the novel of Hill House to talk). They don't so much have conversations as shoot lines at each other like battleships exchanging gunfire. This got so annoying in Newsroom that I gave up on it, but it's somehow less irritating here. It does make the whole thing feel like a comedy, until it switches into outright drama or schmaltz. There is quite a bit of schmaltz, not least in the music, but then it is the president. Aaron Sorkin seems to have had a similar influence on TV writing to Joss Whedon - like Whedon, not always for the best.

Some of the characterisation is slightly dated: one character who is meant to be kooky and cute just seems like a lunatic, and another's pursuit of a woman feels a bit too much like harassment now. But perhaps these will simmer down as it goes on.

However, it is well-written, the characterisation is good and there's something weirdly reassuring about a White House where everyone still wears pagers and no-one is a sociopath. And I have laughed out loud several times.

However, it is well-written, the characterisation is good and there's something weirdly reassuring about a White House where everyone still wears pagers and no-one is a sociopath. And I have laughed out loud several times.

Just wait. They'll make you cry, too.