Nightfall (issaac Asimov)

well, i didn't read the short story. i only read the novel (by Silverberg). the story was really good. but the ending seemed to me to be a bit of an anticlimax.

well, i didn't read the short story. i only read the novel (by Silverberg). the story was really good. but the ending seemed to me to be a bit of an anticlimax.

It's been a while, and I admit I prefer the short story to the novel, but I'd like to ask... in what way?

I admit I prefer the short story to the novel, but I'd like to ask... in what way?
During the whole novel, the protagonists opposed the religious group. But at the end, suddenly they reconciled with that very group. That was something totally unexpected (and NOT in a good way) to me. But I have to say that the rest of the story was just brilliant.

Edit: I just noticed that in the name of this post, "Isaac" is spelled as "issaac" :)

I think that,the religion issue,would be Silverberg's voice.

If you mean the way it was handled at the end, and such... perhaps (as I said, it's been quite some time since I read the novel, so the details are foggy); but as far as the overall inclusion of that element, that dates back to the original short story, written and published in the early 1940s....

i have recently finished the novel "nightfall" and i really like it. though it is written in colaboration with silverberg, the style is very asimovian. i like the finish too, the reporter find out that kalgash will pass through the barbarian times that come with the eclipse better and faster if the planet will be under the authority of the religious group Apostles of Flame.
i'm going to read the other two novels written in colaboration with robert silverberg: the ugly little boy and the pozitronic man.