Nightfall (issaac Asimov)

Draco Weyr

Dragon Wrangler
Nightfall

I found this to be a great Issac Asimov book. Rather creepy and dark, but still full his genius.

I heard somewhere that he had written a Nightfall 2 (well somebody wrote it anyway). Is this true and what does it involve?

But the characterisation was good, the plot was brilliant and it got rather creepy when only the red sun was in the sky before it set to Nightfall...

Nightfall 2 appeared when Nightfall moved to paperback. They had to split the original up into two volumes (1 and 2) for technical reasons.

Nightfall was the story that put Asimov firmly in the successful writers camp, (though he had over two dozen stories published before that in ASF) he was even paid a 25% bonus by Astounding Science Fiction for it.

While some claim it is his best story, I'm not sure I would go that far (tend to prefer the I Robot series), but it does make one wonder... If only about what would really be our darkest fear?

Several of the stories in Nightfall were used as the basis of radio plays for Dimension-X and X Minus 1 on NBC.

More usefully they can be listened to on www.cyber49er.com . Or will be when they get their server up again.

Wasnt Nightfall a short story?

Is it good as a novel?

I saw in the library a Nightfall book he apparently wrote with some other writer.

Im alittle confused, i thought it was one or several short stories, not
one or two books.

Alittle help for a confused Asimov fan that wanted to read this famous story of his ?

Here you go, Con:

Nightfall (Isaac Asimov) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And no, I don't think I'd claim it as anywhere near his best, though it is a good story. Too early in his career, and he was still somewhat wobbly stylistically, and a bit callow and melodramatic even in his style.

As for the novel... it's a good read, but not as concentrated, of course, as the short story. Still, it does address some things more thoroughly, and is thought-provoking and enjoyable.

Incidentally, Con (and forgive me if you've mentioned having read him before, and I'm just glitching) if you've not read anything by Silverberg, he's also well worth reading; a very intelligent and thoughtful writer with quite a few classics to his credit, including Nightwings, The Man in the Maze, Dying Inside, Thorns, Tower of Glass, The Book of Skulls, Shadrach in the Furnace, Lord Valentine's Castle....

Here you go, Con:

Nightfall (Isaac Asimov) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And no, I don't think I'd claim it as anywhere near his best, though it is a good story. Too early in his career, and he was still somewhat wobbly stylistically, and a bit callow and melodramatic even in his style.

As for the novel... it's a good read, but not as concentrated, of course, as the short story. Still, it does address some things more thoroughly, and is thought-provoking and enjoyable.

Incidentally, Con (and forgive me if you've mentioned having read him before, and I'm just glitching) if you've not read anything by Silverberg, he's also well worth reading; a very intelligent and thoughtful writer with quite a few classics to his credit, including Nightwings, The Man in the Maze, Dying Inside, Thorns, Tower of Glass, The Book of Skulls, Shadrach in the Furnace, Lord Valentine's Castle....

Good i dont care if its dated i wanna read the original short story and read the novel way later. Is the short story Nightfall one and the novel two? Or did he write two novels ?

There are alot of Silverberg in the library so i can try him.

Is he one of those that wrote both SF and Fantasy?

Silverberg is predominantly a science fiction writer, but he has done some fantasy (the Majipoor novels, for instance). You might also try out some of his story collections, which are well worth reading. (When it comes to his stories, I have a particular liking for "Nightwings", the novella, and "Flies", I must admit....)

On the subject of Nightfall 2 ... I must admit I've never heard of it, nor have I been able to find anything on it. I'm aware of Fantastic Voyage 2, by Asimov; but the only other "Nightfall" I'm aware of are Reichart's Legend of Nightfall and Return of Nightfall, where it is used as a character name, and Roger Taylor's Nightfall series, which doesn't have anything to do with Ike's work, either.

Ok i have heard of several times in these forums about Nightfall vol one and two. They must mean short story and the novel.

Thats what confused me.

I will have to reasech Silverberg and the books you mentioned. Must see what kind of books they are. I need more SF right now so i will focus on his SF first.

Really enjoy the Majipoor cycle - some of the stories in the Chronicles are polished little gems, and LVC itself is in my personal Top 10.:)

There's a movie of the same title " Nightfall".. It follows the storyline of Asimov's.

I remember being excited when I found this film in my local video store many years ago...

One of the worst movies ever made!! :mad:

How sad.:(

Jeff

Ummm, yes... I've seen the thing around, and was initially excited myself... then I started talking to people who'd seen it.

Yep. That's pretty much the consensus of what I've heard.....

My dad has the paperback edition of the original anthology, split into Nightfall One and Nightfall Two, numbers written out like that. I hadn't even heard of a novel!

Ok i have heard of several times in these forums about Nightfall vol one and two. They must mean short story and the novel.

Nope. Nightfall (more fully Nightfall and other stories) and Nightfall Two were short story collections. I came across them under the old Panther imprint, for those who remember Granada Publishings epic contribution to 60s and 70s SF publishing.

Nope. Nightfall (more fully Nightfall and other stories) and Nightfall Two were short story collections. I came across them under the old Panther imprint, for those who remember Granada Publishings epic contribution to 60s and 70s SF publishing.

Yeah thats how I read it - far too many years ago - The short story nightfall used to regularly find it's way into top ten short story lists

I saw in the library a Nightfall book he apparently wrote with some other writer.

Yes, with Robert Silverberg.

The original Nightfall was a short story. It made success so with Silverberg, it was turned into a novel. But beware... the short story is part ONE of the novel. Part 2 was created just for the novel... but its not as good as part one.

Nightfall was and is a brilliant story BUT DO NOT EVER BUY THE MOVIE OF THAT NAME.

I bought it and found it to be a very cheap and very bad Bollywood type production that really had virtually nothing in common with the book. Boy was I disappointed.

I have read the short story and would love to find the issue of Astounding that featured it-great story. Also I had the Silverberg collaboration from the 90s,quite good too.

Last edited: