Vampire books after QotD (Anne Rice)

Draco Weyr

Dragon Wrangler
Vampire books after QotD

Okay it is generally accepted that the first three Vampire Books Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned where her best vampire books. (Queen is my personal favorite).

But I would like to get peoples opinions on the vampire books after Queen...

Tales of the Body Theif
Memnoch the Devil
Pandora
Armand
Vittorio The Vampire
Merrick
Blood and Gold

Personally I just felt these books where not that good. In fact they felt quiet production line-ish and most are at various levels of crappiness.

Tales of the Body Thief was so-so... Lestat IMHO can accross as rather whiney and boring... Plus it felt like most of the stuff was previously explored in the last two books.

[ b]Memnoch the Devil[/b] was a total mess that I still do not fully understand. (It read like it was written on an acid trip). I wish Anne Rice had stuck with Louis as the main character and Lestat as the outsider.

I held out much hope for Pandora, but it came accross as a rather un-interesting book that bordered on Mills and Boon... (or whatever the local pulp romance publishing company is in your area).

Ditto for Armand, bringing him back to life after Memnock was frustrating. Plus he was never exactly my favorite character.

Vittoria the Vampire... I can see why she wanted to start afresh with a Vampire never mentioned before... completely new slate... but this book was boring to the least. I couldn't actually even finish it.

Merrick I actually enjoyed, I thought it was actually a good read, but still it wasn't the epic tale that the earlier ones where.

I have not read Blood and Gold yet...

I read Tale of the Body Thief first - that's what got me into Anne Rice, but I haven't read any further than Pandora. I agree with your assessment of Memnoch - it was very disappointing after the previous books. Pandora barely left any impression on me at all, so I can't really recommend it.

O/T - These aren't Vampire books, but have you read the Mayfair chronicles? They are set in the same 'universe' and are pretty good.

Originally posted by Tabitha
I read Tale of the Body Thief first - that's what got me into Anne Rice, but I haven't read any further than Pandora. I agree with your assessment of Memnoch - it was very disappointing after the previous books. Pandora barely left any impression on me at all, so I can't really recommend it.

O/T - These aren't Vampire books, but have you read the Mayfair chronicles? They are set in the same 'universe' and are pretty good.

I read the first one (and obviously the tie-in "Merrick"), I did enjoy them, but I never got to the others due to circumstances that had nothing to do with the books (lack of time to read such a long book) ;)

Re: Vampire books after QotD

Tales of the Body Thief

I love this book, it was a relief book. You know not too serious and I totally love Lestat experimenting with all the sensations of a human body. Also how at the end David ends with the body of the thief. I think it was the book of the chronicles that more make me laugh.

Memnoch the Devil

Well, here I have to agree this book was very confusing, most of it I really don't understand but I think it was cool to see the religious mess she did in this book. I think that was make the book so confusing, she really plays with a lot of religious images and theories. It wasn't one of my favorites because I found it very confusing but anyway enjoy it.

As for the other books, Pandora, Armand, Vittorio, Merrick, and the last one Blood & Gold( past history seeing from the experience of Marius). I really enjoy them because they serve to know more about characters we have see and see things for their points of view and not from Lestat only point of view or Louis. Of this books the only exception is Vittorio because he's a new character but I find he's story interesting. Not my favorite anyway. I have to say that from the last ones my favorite are Armand and Blood & Gold because Marius is a very important character in all the other books and here we have all his opinion and how he see things. I always have love Armand as a character and see his point of view to me also was a must see. For me the most important thing is that we can see how everyone of them see Lestat, what they think of him etc.

Draco I recommend you read Blood & Gold, I think maybe you will enjoy it. It have Marius story and his point of view on everything that happen in other books, he's story being the guardian of the first ones. I think probably you will find it very interesting.

Krystal :p

Books

i read the armand book first. very erotic, WOW! that was one good book if u like gay action. but some bits i found hard to read they were so full on. i sometimes found myself laughing really hard. but i found that those really hardcore bits were the parts keeping the story alive and interesting. dont get me wrong though, im not sick, but why is it sick? i have nothing against gays, in fact i feel really happy for them.

Re: Re: Vampire books after QotD

Originally posted by Krystal
Tales of the Body Thief

I love this book, it was a relief book. You know not too serious and I totally love Lestat experimenting with all the sensations of a human body. Also how at the end David ends with the body of the thief. I think it was the book of the chronicles that more make me laugh.

I got a kick out of it because of lestat being back in human form.

You go to admit he was a total mess while in human form.

Stryker

Re: Re: Re: Vampire books after QotD

Originally posted by Stryker

You go to admit he was a total mess while in human form.

Yeah, he was. :lol: But that is what makes the book so interesting. I really have a good time reading that one.

Yeah, he was. But that is what makes the book so interesting. I really have a good time reading that one.

Merrick was great....have to find the other ones....Blood Cantical won't let you down either

Stryker

As the Vampires Collection goes, I just love every one of them so far. Some are more confusing than others but I still love it.