Ben Bova: The Exiles Trilogy

Draco Weyr

Dragon Wrangler
Do people remember it? It is about a group of sciencists who are exiled from earth after a great scientific discovery. Rather then live their live in an orbital station, they set out to travel to the nearest star system.
The first book was my favorite as is layed out so much.

The second book which dealed with a disaster at the first planet they visit was okay, but it was disapointing as it made me realise there would be no epic grand adventure in the books...

The third one I didn't really like... In fact I thought it ruined the series.

Not read them. But then Bova is quite a new author to me.

Can you give us the titles, please?

Then I can look out for them in the bookshops.

Originally posted by ray gower
Not read them. But then Bova is quite a new author to me.

Can you give us the titles, please?

Then I can look out for them in the bookshops.

Well to my knowledge there not in print anymore, but you should find them in any good second hand place, plus they are being sold on Amazon to my knowledge.

But they are:

1 Exiled from Earth (1971)
2 Flight of Exiles (1972)
3 End of Exile (1975)

They where released as the one book "The Exile Trilogy" in 1981.

The first one was good. The second one as well... The third one... well... it is not everybodies cup of tea...

but if you want to know (and since you have not read it I will add spoiler tags just in case (hope they work) ;)
Did you ever see a 70's TV series called "The Star lost - (http://us.imdb.com/Title?0069638) or (http://www.snowcrest.net/fox/star.html) from the early 70's by Harlen Ellison? (the guy that wrote "City on the Edge of Forever") ... well the first book is almost a direct lifting of that short lived television series...

Thanks. Not seen Star Lost, but have read City on the Edge of Forever.

Will keep an eye open for the trilogy

His earliest SF stuff is generally considered to be less good than his later Grand Tour books. what was the book you found?

I have it (oddly in paperback and hardback), but I can't remember content, so either I forgot to read it or there was nothing exceptionally bad or good in it.
I have 10 other Ben Bova books. He's OK, I'd rate him higher than A.C. Clarke, Brian Aldiss, Ian M. Banks and Ken Macleod.
I think Harry Harrison, C.J. Cherryth, Ursula Le Guin, early SF Anne McCaffery, earlier Asimov, Cordwainer Smith better.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Obituaries 14
Rodders Ben Bova 7
J-Sun Ben Bova 18
EricWard Ben Bova 5
AE35Unit Ben Bova 2