The Grand Prix Guides

Bayleaf48

Hero Of Time
I don't know if any ones noticed, but ever since ITV started showing the Formula One season, they've done a giude for the year & I've got them

They're very useful in that they give information on ALL of the drivers, teams, tracks & rules that is the sport

If like me you enjoy watching Formula 1, then getting 1 of these is a very good idea indeed

:blush:

Have to confess, Bay, I find Formula 1 to be extremely dull now a days.

I used to enjoy it, many years ago. Following the likes of Lauda, Stewart and Moss, the introduction of 'Wings', even the six wheel Lotus.

But now it is too much of a technical procession. The winner isn't ruled so much by having the most brain dead jockey, but where he starts from in the pack, or if somebody drops a nut in the paddock.

Even advances in automotive technology are all but impossible. The rules have been throttled so much.

Consequently I find it difficult to see why it remains so popular. Please elucidate?

Sorry 2 hear that you don't like it much any more ray

I think that the popularity has stayed because of the new drivers that are currently in Formula 1

Why should they be popular?

Nigel Mansell was even more boring than Jacky Stewart and he was not exactly a socialite at that time!

Sorry you will have to do better than that?

I don't know why they are popular as I support a team & not a driver, but 4 me it's the whole atmosphere & of course the Jordan team as thye've got such a friendly view on the sport

Didn't think it would because of their successes!:evil:
Their points usually come because everybody else has fallen off!

The one thing I do find interesting about it all, is that with the periodic exception of Ferrari, all the other teams are based in the UK- Mostly around Oxford.

Amazing considering that our car industry is all but non-existent.

It is the same with the Superbike teams as well- Which is even odder.

They had good results back with Mugen-Honda, but Honda haven't given them the backing needed

Originally posted by ray gower

The one thing I do find interesting about it all, is that with the periodic exception of Ferrari, all the other teams are based in the UK- Mostly around Oxford.

Amazing considering that our car industry is all but non-existent.

I don't really know anything about F1, but my flatmate is a HUGE admirer of the Lotus cars, and aren't they made near Oxford somewhere? I know Rolls Royce used to be based in that area too.

The teams that are based over here are: Jordan, B.A.R - under a different name next year, Williams & Mc Laren

Rollers are built in Coventry.

Lotus Racing was based near Benson, Oxfordshire, when they were involved in F1, the road cars are built in Norwich.

Where/are Arrows based, Bay?

Re: Why Oxford?

Oxford used to be the heart of British Car Manufacturing though, back in the days before British Leyland and it's subsequent lingering death. The William Morris factory at Cowley, first built in 1850, was huge.

Today, even the Dagenham Ford plant in Essex has almost closed down.

Re: Why is it Boring?

There is no competition, Michael Schumacher and Ferrari win everything and are unbeatable. Yet he is such a poor sportsman that he still throws a tantrum when he doesn't get his own way.

Since the team hasn't been racing since mid this year :eek: Arrows may not never race in F1 again as 1 of their big sponsors wouldn't pay them the money that they were owed, but as 4 being based it's over here & the same 4 Renault

4 a complete run down of ALL of the British teams:

Jordan - Silverstone, England
McLaren - Woking, England
Williams - Grove, England
B.A.R - Brackley, England
Renault - Enstone, England
Jaguar - Milton Keynes, England
Arrows - Witney, England
Minardi - Partly Ledbury, England

Back