what do you like about jonas

imported_TheDoc

"don't feed the doc!"
hello ladies

you know, I got one very depressed cartoonist here. he wanted to help us out and offered to do recherche on jonas for the next issue of "pink khaki". so he joined the jonas group on yahoo and asked about jonas - alas, he was ignored. nada. zilch. not *one* reply.

ok, so *I* give it a try, if we still don't get any response we simply drop the article as there's obviously nobody interested in the man. I'm not being ironic here, and we have no intention to "slay" jonas quinn. I'd really appreciate if you guys could tell me:

what you specially like about jonas
what your fav episodes with jonas are so far
fav jonas moments
what development do you see for jonas if there was a 7th season

please no anti-jonas, no jonas-is-better-than-daniel or daniel-is-better-than-jonas statements, we've heard them all. I'd really like to hear what those who like him think.

the doc

Happy to Help If I Can

I haven't seen a lot of Jonas yet and therefore have yet to form an opinion of the character. My network area jumped from S4 to S6, so I did not have a "proper introduction" to Jonas. I have several scattered postings on ASciFi.Com on the character, which you are welcome to search out for any meaningful tidbits.

To date I've only seen Jonas in the first eps of S6 (up to The Other Guys). I very much want to like him, but feel that the writers have spent more time on giving reasons why the SGC should like him rather than the audience. Thus far Jonas hasn't been given very much to do that has had any emotional depth and has left me wondering why I'm supposed to care about him. He can't be left to save the team in every ep nor is it satisfying to watch him read another book.

If I could pick a few moments that struck me at all then:

Nightwalkers -- when Sam slapped Jonas, and then later when he realized that she was in complete control and only hit him to "make it look convincing."

Shadow Play -- when Jonas admits that if he stays a minute past the negotiations he'll be arrested for treason.

The Other Guys -- when the team learns that Khonsu won't be there to get them out of their situation, nice look of panic and frustration from Jonas

If there is a tremendous advantage to the change from Daniel to Jonas it is that the team had lost much of the wide-eyed innocence, our view through their eyes of the wonders they see. In the film, that view was supplied by Daniel (James Spader). In COTG, it was Sam and her fascination when first seeing the event horizon. Later, it was T'ealc as he discovers the oddities of Earth culture and customs. Jack is the stable, seen-it-all, wise-cracking military man, but he has moved from Kurt Russell's intense and suicidal character to RDA's humor and charm -- but not innocence.

SG1 and the audience were all getting a bit jaded. Seen the Goa'uld, been captured by this or that villain, died and resurrected a few times, been there, done that.

Now Jonas is the one who remarks on the "firsts" and the new things around him. How long the writers can sustain that is unknown. Perhaps through a possible 7th season. They've given Jonas a lot room to grow and change; now they need to let some stories focus on that and let the audience experience everything anew.

I remain patient and hopeful, but with network TV one shouldn't get too attached to anything that seems sensible :D

sorry doc,
i meant to reply, just haven't gotten around to it yet. <G>

What i like about Jonas.
He does bring a freshness to the show. Everyone seemed to be a bit tired in season 5. I have nothing specific to quote, folks just seemed so subdued. Things are different now. There's a new energy to the show.
Jonas has enthusiasm and an eager to please attitide that i think any of us would have given the circumstances.
He knows he's not totally welcome...but I haven't seen him sitting in the corner whining about it, he's accepted it and is working to prove himself.
He seems to be to be a guy that's not going to judge you...rather accept you just as you are.
The favorite eps...Descent and Shadowplay.
Descent because that's when he truly became a member of the team and was accepted by Jack. He accepted Jack's limits and did what he could within the scope of his limitations. Then in the end, he also showed that he has the initiative to know when to ignore orders and do something to save the team.
In shadowplay we got to see a bit of the price he paid to leave his home. How many of us could literally grab some valuables from our boss and walk out the door, knowing full well we can never return? What he did took guts. He had the foresight to see that at times sacrifices need to be made in the quest for the 'greater good'

jonas moments.
I like how he and teal'c talk. They've done it several times and it seems that those two have a good chemistry. I also liked it in descent when he realized that even though he was on the team, he had a lot to learn. He may know 'book learning' but he is woefully innocent in the aspects of 'real life'.

what would i like to see in season 7
Wow, i can't even imagine that we're talking about a season 7. I'd resigned myself to it ending in 15 eps or so.
I think i would like to find out for sure what happened to his home world...and either return to lead his people, or to find a nitch where he can continue to learn and help his adopted people.

I'll give it a go!!:cool: I'm new to the forum but not to Stargate.

I have to admit that looking back at season 5, the above posters are correct that the team seems a bit jaded. It's like they can't be surprised by anything anymore. Makes Jonas much more refreshing, I think. He isn't innocent but he is new to everything and wanting to learn as much as he can as fast as possible.

My fave Jonas moment so far? (I can't get the spoiler thing to work so I am putting in space)

Redemption pt.1- Teal'c is teaching Jonas to box. Jonas gets knocked over and barely touches the mat before he is back up for more. He has just been hit who knows how many times by Teal'c and he still makes the deal that if he knocks Teal'c out, Teal'c will talk to Jack. I doubt he succeds but he is spunky to even try.

Lesson? He isn't going to give up! He may not ring a winner the first time around but he will try again....and again.... and again.

:rolly2:

Besides, he is an underdog and I always root for the underdog. LOL

I liked Shadow Play best I think. It really highlighted Kelowna's problems and made it clear that Jonas sees the bigger picture in that his world has a much larger problem than the cold war if they use the Naquadria.

Season 7? Oh man, I have no idea! I'm just along for the ride as long as they make them! LOL

thanks!

thanks a lot to all of you who took the time to reply, it's much appreciated! :) I admit I will not become a member of the jonas fan club anytime soon ;) but I usually try to be fair, and I'd found it extremely difficult to do a portrait on jonas quinn without hearing both sides. so don't worry, no "jonas slaying" will take place from our side. :)

and look out for the next issue: we lift the secret about the meaning of jonas' ring! (important issue!)

thanks again, you're great. :)

the doc

Re: thanks!

Originally posted by TheDoc
...but I usually try to be fair, and I'd found it extremely difficult to do a portrait on jonas quinn without hearing both sides.

A lot of us are having the same trouble. We want to be fair and give Jonas a chance, but his introduction to the series set up so many negatives to overcome. Thus far the stories either have him overcoming all obstacles in a single bound or completely unimportant to the story in any meaningful way.

I keep watching, now as much for Jonas as for the rest of the cast, but not because I really like Jonas yet. I'm just curious as to when / how the writers will get their act together and make Jonas a real part of the team instead of an addition to fill a vacancy.

Ever the optimist, of course. :D

Jonas proved himself to me in nightwalkers. when in the dinner he noticed the weird tired behavior of the town's people. In all the ep's whenever he talks about his homeworld a tone of regret always follows. I also like the first experiances he brings to the show. And since he isn't that bias yet he could see things Tlea'c, sam and jack might miss.

ZachWZ

I agree Jonas' fresh POV may be his salvation as a character, but it may not be enough to allow him to cover the void created in removing Daniel. We have been given so little of JQ's background -- what did he do on Callona, what were his duties for the government, what did he study in school, etc. -- that of course the writers can simply graft on whatever skills they need him to have at any moment, but without it being set up in advanced it feels forced and unrealistic.

"Oh, we need someone with diplomatic and linguistic skills right now, oh I guess that'll be Jonas because we don't have Daniel, and besides we'll just stick in a line here about 'when I worked for the Callonan Ministry' and everyone will accept that and the plot can roll along." :)

"Shadow Play" was a lost opportunity to really show what JQ was to that government, what they lost and what he gave up. Instead the writers were so focused on lifting the plot from "A Beautiful Mind" that they lost sight of what could be done to give Jonas more depth by giving him more background.

Just speaking of his regret is not enough. I want to see that regret. I still don't know what leaving Callona means to JQ -- did he have a girlfriend, wife, child, parents, best friends? Where is his yearning for them? Teal'c at least returns to home now and then to catch up with family and old friends. Shouldn't JQ be wishing he could do that -- oh, but no, he'd be shot for treason. His family and friends have disowned him. He can't go home again. We should be seeing that, not just imagining it.

jonas websites

one last question:

are there any jonas websites out there? they seem to be well hidden, at least I can't find anything.

and does anybody know of corin nemec websites updated within this century and which do NOT promote scientology?

hope somebody can help.

thanks!

the doc

that's the one that i know of. I think there are a couple of jonas groups
Jonas_Quinn and Jump Jonas

I find Jonas' enthusiasm about everything extremely amusing. That guy would b fasinated by a mailbox for crying out loud! :rolly2:

Jonas enthusiasm is refreshing, but the writers are missing an opportunity to give him an "alienness" -- such as Teal'c demonstrated in the early episodes. Remember when he had been watching the news on TV, then when offered a chance to visit the outside insisted that he would need his staff weapon? :)

Jonas says "okay" too easily, just like a lad brought up in the US. His mannerisms and gestures are too familiar. Why should Callona be just like Earth in every aspect? There need to be things that Jonas does NOT readily understand, where he does seem odd. Perhaps shaking hands is an offensive gesture on his world -- or waving or beckoning -- any number of mannerisms that we do that should seem strange to him or that he does that seem strange to us.

They keep telling me he's an alien, but I have seen nothing "alien" about him. Looks to me like any another guy I ever met in Arkansas :D

Webmouse wrote:

They keep telling me he's an alien, but I have seen nothing "alien" about him. Looks to me like any another guy I ever met in Arkansas

You said it.

We're supposed to believe that he's an alien with super human mental abilities. This is a wee bit hard to believe, considering that Jonas looks and sounds just like some guy you'd see working at Walmart.

Teal'c -- even now in the 6th season -- retains an alien nature. There have been comments in Redemption by Jack and in Descent by Jonas about Teal'c's "sense of humor," which is beautifully play by CJ. Teal'c still doesn't quite get the humor-thing, because it is the hardest part of human nature to grasp even between different Earth cultures. So why should JQ have caught on so fast, quick study that he is?

JQ should have some characteristics that clearly mark him for what he is. He doesn't have a Jaffa mark on his brow like Teal'c (or pointed ears or blue skin or tentacles or any of the other alien forms we've seen in other shows), but there should be something that other characters -- and the audience -- sense as just a little odd about him.

More missed opportunities by the writers <sigh>.

BTW, do you think there may be other aliens working at Walmart? :D

I don't know about Walmart, but I've seen some strange looking characters at the 7-11.

ok, the article is online, you'll find yourself quoted and hugged :)

http://www.pink-khaki.net/jonas.html

as I didn't find any other jonas-page, I linked to the jonas quinn asylum, though I'm really disappointed that also this site isn't there to just enjoy a character, but had to belittle another in the process. it really looks like a peaceful coexistence within the fandom is not possible.

thanks again to all of you for your well-thought comments. :)

the doc

Jonas' super human mental abilities reportedly will show up in "Prophecy".

All I can say is "Jonas Smith", or should that be "Johnny QUinn" <G>

USA Network viewers will know what that means.

Originally posted by TheDoc
ok, the article is online, you'll find yourself quoted and hugged :)
thanks again to all of you for your well-thought comments. :)
the doc

Great article. One small correction "What was overseen, tough, is," I think you meant "though" -- sorry, old proofreader here.

It also would have been nice if you had attributed the quotes to the various writers, even if only by our pseudonyms, but I appreciate any mention and am happy to help. :D

Originally posted by webmouse

Great article. One small correction "What was overseen, tough, is," I think you meant "though" -- sorry, old proofreader here.

It also would have been nice if you had attributed the quotes to the various writers, even if only by our pseudonyms, but I appreciate any mention and am happy to help. :D

lol - thanks for the tip! I'll correct it later - I didn't have a beta reader this time, so all blame's on me for typos!

as for attributing the quotes: we did this on purpose, because, with every issue, there comes a lot of nice mail from nice people. alas, there are also some pretty unpleasant mails from unpleasant people ... we didn't want any of you guys who contributed to get this kind as well, we thought it was plenty enough if we had to deal with it.

but if any of you wants his/her name under his/her quote, please let me know, of course we can change that.

thanks! :)

the doc