Round Robin: Captain Scarlet- A Time for Talks

ray gower

Thought we might like to liven the forum up with a little fiction. But as I am rather tied up with a couple of other projects, perhaps others would care to join me with a Round Robin?

Upon which case I offer this as a starter.
Even a few lines from non-writers will help keep the story flowing.

Synopsis:
The Mysterons offer a hope for an end to the eternal war between Earth and Mars. But is it as clearcut as it seems?

A Time for Talks
“This is the voice of the Mysterons. We know you can hear us Earthmen!†The well known litany echoed around Cloud Base and every other Spectrum base, causing all that heard it to stiffen in expectation of yet another cryptic clue to some monstrous atrocity to be prevented.

The voice continued with an unexpected twist. “We have decided that our war must finish. Our agent will meet your World Leaders for surrender negotiations within the week.â€

There was a stunned silence as the statement was taken in, nobody entirely believing what they had just heard.

Some, like Lieutenant Green, decided to take it at face value and commented hopefully upon it. “The war is over!†He declared with relief.

Colonel White behind his quadrant desk, perhaps fearing the prospect of thatched cottages and roses, was more sceptical. “This is unlike anything the Mysterons have offered before,†he admitted gravely. “We must be on our guard for treachery. Call Captains Scarlet and Blue.â€

The two Captains were as divided in their opinions as the Colonel and Lieutenant.

"This could be our chance for peace?" Captain Blue opined.

"It could also be a means of destroying our leaders," Captain Scarlet offered. "It is too simple. Besides they haven't said who is surrendering!"

"I agree," the Colonel claimed. "If it is genuine, then we must give the talks every chance to suceed. If it is not, then we must be on our guard for that as well. I want a full security clamp down for the talks. The Mysterons will have to accept our caution."

With that, the World Leaders were informed of the situation & most important of all Spectrum was put om the highest alert level possible as this just didn't sound right at all

"Colonel, colonel" yelled Destiny Angel "Captain Scarlet's collapsed & the doctor is extremely worried about him"

Captain Scarlet down & the doctor extremely worried, not natural at all

"Tell me I didn't just hear that Lieutenant Green?" said Colonel White, but before he could answer the look on the Lieutenant's face said it all "I-i-it's real s-s-sir" he stuttered

Captain Blue ran to the medical area & couldn't believe what he saw when he got there, Captain scarlet was indeed very ill

"Don't let the talks go through" he managed to say before passing out

"What does he mean?" commented Captain Blue

Another instalment

Albert Parrowski carefully pulled on his threadbare jacket before closing two days later and securely locking the door to his small work-shed.

Undoubtedly, some fool Spectrum security guard would inspect it later, along with all the bigger idiots from the CIA and other security agencies that had gathered in and around Canyon Villa. But Albert would have locked the shed securely anyhow. There are secrets every gardener keeps and Albert was bigger than most in keeping his secrets on how he managed to keep the gardens so colourful.

Finally he climbed into his old Plymouth saloon and bumped down the track to the lane leading him to the gate.

“Got any more of them Blueberries, Al?†Mark Curtis drawled amiably leaning through the window ten minutes later at the gates. Behind him the Spectrum guard took little notice. “The wife made a real good pie from yesterdays!â€

“Yeah. Sure! Just don't tell the boss!†Parrowski answered with a wink handing up a paper bag bulging with fruit. “When those guys leaving?†he nodded at the guard.

“Guess after those talks with the Martians. Thinks it's a good place 'cos there's no buildings in thirty miles. And with your grounds an all, no one gets close.†Curtis explained.

“Well they're cutting up the grass!†Parrowski complained. “Take months to get it right again when they've gone!â€

Curtis laughed. “Just make sure you've flowers for the table. Goodnight, Al!â€

Cloudbase... Headquaters of Spectrum

"I wonder what the Mysterons are cooking up this time, sir?" said Lt. Green.

Sitting at the cloudbase coffee table, opposite Lt. Green, Col. White rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

"There has got to be more to it -- they've never offered peace before. Get the World President on line for me!"

Spectrum's radio network was such that within minutes, even from thousands of mlies away, their call was answered.

"Nice to hear from you again, Colonel. The Mysteron offer has been repeated. We are depatching negotiators at 23:00 hrs for a peace commitee meeting... but I don't see... " said the President.

"That conference must be prevented... at all costs... the most important men on Earth will be present together... under one roof!"

Mean whoile back on Cloudbase, things weren't at all good as Captain Scarlet was getting worse & not better, it was then that Captain Blue came up with the answer "Of course, why didn't I think of it sooner?" he shouted to himself & made all those present turn round & look at him

"It's so obvious, IF the Mysterons give int, then there's no need to carry on this war, we'll be shut down & things will return to how they were ...."

"That will mean Captain Scarlet will be dead" finished off Harmony Angel

Within minutes of that being said urgent messages were sent to ALL of the World Leaders to turn back & NOT attend this conference at all

"Colonel White, it's the doctor again fro you" said Lt. Green

With that the Col. raced off to the medical area to where a worried Captain Blue was by Captain Scarlet's side

"Captain Scarlet wants to speak to you as best as he can & it's vital that you listen Colonel" said Cpt. Blue

"What is it Captain Scarlet?" the Col. asked

"T-t-the meeting" he gasped "I-i-is really a plan to k-k-kill them all & c-c-conquer the Earth"

Now it was all fitting into place as to why Cpt. Scarlet was slowly dying & NOTHING could be done for him, or could there?

It seemed hopeless, Captain Scarlet was dying & the meeting was a plan 2 kill all of them, conquer the Earth & thus win the war

Col. White hadn't slept all night, infact no 1 had as sleep just didn't matter over the current situation

"I've got it!" yelled Cpt. Blue 2 everyone's surprise

"Got what?" asked Destiny Angel

"How we can save Cpt. Scarlet of course, it won't be easy though & will be dangerous"

That wasn't good, but yet at the same time it was their only hope of saving Cpt. Scarlet

Basically it involved Cpt. Blue going out & foiling the Mysterons plans & so enraging them & thus carrying on the war between them & Earth even though many wanted it 2 end, but yet at the same time NO ONE wanted Cpt. Scarlet 2 die either

"Keep me informed of his condition at ALL times" said Cpt. Blue 2 the doctor

"Yes Cpt. Blue" came back the reply & with that Cpt. Blue set off on what was his most dangerous mission EVER