6.18:Forsaken

'twa an OK show...must see it on something other than mini vision I think, in order to get the whole effect. Jack calling Teal'c, T the first time was funny the second time seemed a little out of place...maybe they're testing the waters to see how fans react?

Originally posted by Dave

I wanted to know why they don't use the MALP anymore. Here they are doing astronomical observations on a planet on which they have done no reconnaissance. If they had sent a MALP first, surely they would have noticed a huge spaceship right next to the Stargate, and not one but two sets of aliens letting off weapons.

Jack said it was a 'fair walk away' so i'm guessing amile or two. Totally possible to miss something from that distance.

Originally posted by skydiver

Jack said it was a 'fair walk away' so i'm guessing amile or two. Totally possible to miss something from that distance.

You have to be kidding, MALP`s can cover quite a distance. Remember most of the aerial survey is done away from enemy fire.

In past episodes they have referred to the MALP covering 50 square miles.

Dave points out a another plot flaw, Now we know where all those trekkie screen writers went.

oooh cant wait for series 7. Do you think they will bring a prime directive? no wait Jack already has one.

Ranger

Originally posted by Arc_Angel
This wasn't as good as I'd hoped it would be, but I liked it though none the less, and when did Jack start calling Teal'c, T ?:D

Yeah I was thinknig that while watching this episode...

Apart from that I thought it was not one of the best episodes they have done...roll on next week! :D

I'm still wondering about the telescope deal though...was Jack playing stupid or something...is that why he & Sam kept grinning? We all know he knows astronomy...

I'm taking that first scene for what I think it was meant to be - we had no ship in Paradise Lost AND they didn't give us a reunion scene, in Meta there was ship but that was the we're-gonna-die kind and that's not as fun as just 'joking around' ship and then last week we had NO SG-1 at all!

I think it was meant to be some kind of 'Ok, we've acknowledged that we both may have died in the past few months, let's be silly and goof around' scene. It made absolutely no sense if you take it as a 'work' conversation, I mean come on! Why would O'Neill ask Carter about astronomy? He knows all of that stuff! He was just being goofy and she was playing along! It was cute and I enjoyed it. You also know that, in grand Stargate tradition, a scene like that ALWAYS comes before a possible love interest is introduced (see 'Cake' scene in Brief Candle, 'Crash and Burn' scene in Ascension etc. etc.).

Speaking of the love interest, I didn't like him from the moment I saw him and NOT because I'm a shipper! He just had this look that said 'weasel', I can't explain it. He actually reminded me of Alex from the British Big Brother series, maybe that's why I didn't like him (I detest reality tv! It's so BORING! Who wants to see a load of attention-seekers prancing around in their pyjamas and discussing chickens at 1am?!?) Every line that came out of Aiden's mouth was cheesy, to coin a phrase, 'The guy is a walking cliche!'!!! I can see why Sam was flattered, I mean she doesn't get praised by men in *that* way very often (OK, OK, so Jonas, Martouf, Orlin, Joe, Narim were all after her but look what happened to them!). Neway, I didn't trust the woman either, she seemed too much like a sneaky Bond girl to me!

I didn't like that guy either (well, apart from the fact that he is rather handsome!), but I couldn't quite put my finger on why. His shiftiness and the itchy trigger fingers all round gave us lots of clues as to their status.

The hitting on Sam scenes were kinda painful to watch too - seemed like rubbish scripting to me.

I believe that after last episode I mentioned something along the lines of "They better pull something impressive out of the hat for next week, or I am giving up on this show". This was the second in a row ep to be BORING! I will stick around till the end of the season, if only to see Daniel again, and then I will decide on the basis of the spoilers for next season whether I will bother watching again.

Far too many plot holes in this ep, as several of you have already noticed. And Anni - that is a great dialogue, maybe Mr Franchetti should be drafted to write for SG1!

"He just had this look that said 'weasel', I can't explain it."

I felt that too...though you could tell Sam wasn't going to fall for any of it...where was Jack when you needed him to be jealous & punch out someone?

Originally posted by RangerOne SG13 SOR

You have to be kidding, MALP`s can cover quite a distance. Remember most of the aerial survey is done away from enemy fire.

In past episodes they have referred to the MALP covering 50 square miles.

MALP != UAV
Personaly, i'd love to see a MALP survey 50 square miles...but it just aint gona happen.
UAV on the other hand...

Originally posted by RaTY

MALP != UAV
Personaly, i'd love to see a MALP survey 50 square miles...but it just aint gona happen.
UAV on the other hand...

Yup I stand corrected I meant the UAV.

*Gets out Janes book of military surviellance toys.

:p

Ranger

I stand corrected too, a UAV not a MALP then. But my point is still valid, they used to do surveillance before going to a new planet, and if they had done some here they could have avoided some problems.

It must be Senator Kinsey cost cutting the Stargate budget!

I thought they only ever did MELP servays to make sure the planet is safe & to see if there is anything interestingnear the gate to go through, if they didn't find anything interesting or the readings that came back from the MELP were ...irregular? interesting? unexplained? they sent in the UAV (I fige that things rather expensive?

Yeh. My thinking too scoon.
One False Step had them lose one. They're probably more cautious with them now.

**Note** - I haven't read any other posts on this episode - so, if this is a repeat of anything anyone else has said - oh well --

1st - any of you MacGyver fans out there recognize that gold-looking hat-thing that Jonas had? The one w/ the big spade-shaped thing sticking off it? It's from that MacGyver ep where Mac had to find some old Incan treasure (think it was Incan - treasure turned out to be corn, unless I'm getting eps mixed up) --

Overall - pretty decent ep - until that guy started hitting on Carter hard than Buffy pounds demons - geeeeeeez -- what gives?

Okay - raise your hands - how many of you knew that the good guys were really the alien looking ones? *raises hand*

Can we stop being so predictable? (Or am I just really cynical?)

Though, I did like Jonas' 'plan' - quite sneaky -

Not a bad ep, but just some things that were too predictable and a bit 'over the top' - but - better than some from this season -

I enjoy the episode, specially enjoy Jonas in this one. It wasn't a surprise that the good guys were the aliens alike. I think it when the guy shot to kill at their first encounter.

Krystal :p

Originally posted by skoon
I thought they only ever did MELP servays to make sure the planet is safe & to see if there is anything interestingnear the gate to go through, if they didn't find anything interesting or the readings that came back from the MELP were ...irregular? interesting? unexplained? they sent in the UAV (I fige that things rather expensive?
The SGC must have done SOME sort of pretty thorough survey, by MALP or UAV - otherwise they wouldn't be bothering to send their primary off-world team to do some simple astronomical research...