The DS9/Nemesis paradox...

The Master™

Science fiction fantasy
I don't know if anyone else was aware, but there was a slight continuity problem between the ending of DS9 and Star Trek: Nemesis...

What was Worf doing aboard the Enterprise, when at the end of DS9 he agreed to become the Federation Ambassador to Kronos... In order to go Targ hunting with Chancellor Martok!!!

Did he get the Chancellor killed??? Was stripped of his Ambassadorial position and kicked back into Star Fleet???

Does anyone know???

that is a very good point and i have no idea, not a big fan of ds9. the only explanation i can think of is if they are at different times.. very odd

I don't think the Trek writers have ever cared much for continuity across the shows. World building and continuity has never been their strong point, let alone time travel. Trek became "soap opera in space". Or "space soap opera". That';s all. No detailed history, no detailed background information (excepting to sell to Trekkers). No character continuity (cf. general plot line: main character is tortured, main character saved at end; main character fully recovered at end and the event is never referenced anywhere ever again and the whole experience is entirely forgotten). Star Trek has always been frsutrating from a sf point of view, because it always promises something, but rarely delivers anything properly satisfying.

The most glaring continuity problem with Star Trek: Nemesis, is the fact that the USS Enterprise crew look at the dismembered body of an artifical humanoid that looks stunning like Data - Beverley Crusher calls it "cute" - and at no point whatsoever does anyone even say "Law", or figure it's a likely danger to the Enterprise that should be safely sectioned.

I mean, seriously - Law was the subject of multiple Next Gen episodes. How on earth could they not reference Law anywhere within that entire film? This isn;t simply a matter of detail - it would be like finding a Romulan and then exclaiming "Oh, look at this cutre-near human lifeform!". Huh?

The only thing I could think of was that Worf was on holiday as an Ambassador. It would have been nice if they had joked about his position in Starfleet though.

It was a cop out to have Data destroyed and just having a replacement with B4.
He also has all Data's memories and another gripe is the no mention of Lore and his amoral/selfish behaviour.

It would have actually done more for the continuity if Picard had died fighting Shinzon or perhaps redeeming him as his clone son.

Then of course we wouldn't have Kirk's son as the new Shinzon.

Kirk's Romulan clone would have been getting his end away with any female with a heart beat!!! ;)

You are right, continuity takes a severe bashing in these "franchised" shows, who look more at merchandising than at quality... (I wonder who got a kicking for making First Contact so good??? Jonathan Frakes for Directing it???)

I thought something was funny about that myself but couldn't put my finger on it exactly. Continuity has been a problem at time in the Trek universe for sure.

Good call...

one word: WEDDING

worf may be ambassador to kronos but i would assume he would be allowed to attend the wedding of his old friends riker and troi. the crew starts off at their wedding and are on their way to a second wedding on betazed when they get distracted by B4

one word: WEDDING

worf may be ambassador to kronos but i would assume he would be allowed to attend the wedding of his old friends riker and troi. the crew starts off at their wedding and are on their way to a second wedding on betazed when they get distracted by B4
So, shouldn't Worf be in his "Ambassador uniform" and not his Starfleet Officer uniform?

I thought it very odd at the time and have never seen a good explanation.

hmmm good point

i just assumed he would be wearing his ambassador outfit for official stuff and he wasnt attending the wedding in an official capacity. i suppose it was so the fans who didnt like DS9 and so never bothered watching could maybe pretend he never left enterprise, or cause all the non trek fans who would see the movie wouldnt know about him being made ambassador.

There was originally much more to that part of the script, maybe originally it was explained, but left out and no one picked up on it. I know that more of the Wedding was actually filmed. I don't have the DVD but a believe some cut scenes are available on that.

okay i looked it up and it would seem that worf wasnt wearing any ambassador robes because at that point he was no longer ambassador but had since handed the position to his son alexander and resumed his position as a starfleet officer.

the series of non canon star trek novels a time to be born, a time to die, a time to sow, a time to harvest, a time to love etcetera are supposed to take place sometime inbetween DS9 and star trek nemises and at the end of those novels worf does the aforementioned. it would seem that the PTB behind star trek wanted to go along with the events/continuity of the non canon novels plus it was probably easier for making the movie cause then they didnt have to waste time with a reason for worf to be there.