Butcher, Jim -- The Dresden Files

Woohoo!!

Okay - part-way through SheVa Con --

And to this point made several months ago --

Ray Gower --> Hope he don't prove to be a big disapointment to you

Ray -- totally not! The guy is awesome! Very down-to-earth. I swear, if you were to meet him on the street, not knowing anything about him, you'd never know he had a series of successful books on big chain bookstore shelves! Totally rocks!

Read my little con report at My journal ---

had fun - mostly just talking to people and stuff -- nice little con - I mean, compared to Gatecon - this thing was not very big - but it was enjoyable...

Last edited:
photography goodness from SheVa Con --

HERE!!

Go - view - see the cool hat -- ;)

Last edited:
There are still some old biddy's around here that wear those and the red cloaks! :D

They don't manage the writing though.
Are they signatures or book titles?
Did you put your own cross on it?

you talkin' about the hat?

The writing on the hat are quotes from the Dresden Files -- plus the titles of the first 6 books (book 6 releases in August) -- plus names of the 6 major (or most featured) characters in the stories -

Harry Dresden
Bob the Skull
Karrin Murphy
Susan (Rodriguez)
Michael (Carpenter)
Mister (the Cat)

took me about a month to do it all --- and I had some help locating all the quotes.

On the underside of the brim is the line: "Well, this is just... neat!" from Spike from the BtVS episode "Halloween" -- which was put on there just for Jim -- that's the line that caught him up in BtVS and made him snort spaghetti out his nose --

and no cross on the hat --- no need.... ;)

Did indeed!!

Now - I just need to convince all those Dresden fans I know to hot-foot it over here and post and post so we can get Jim his own little bitty section here --- bwahahahahaha -

I'm just chock-full of ulterior motives --- :evil:

btw -- read the books!! They're very good!

hey! those pix really are, well, neat!

gonna read the report tomorrow. sucks to have to be on someone else's computer schedule.

my girls are psyched about the new book, and so am i, naturally. maybe i'll see if it's available for pre-order; i think i have about 3 other books on pre-order already, because i am not patient about this sort of thing.

WOOHOO!!!

*bouncebounce*

Got someone else reading the books!! :D

*big happy dance*

I love getting ppl into these!! I love these books! I love that someone wrote books that got me this excited about reading and sharing! Most of the time, I don't really do that - I get more excited about good TV -- but these books just ROCK!!

I should just buy a whole bunch of the 1st one and give 'em out to ppl -- then they'll get hooked and read the rest!! :)

*bouncebounce*

:blush: I didn't realize that was a link to another thread and I posted my :wave: Hi there! in the other post... oops.. now it's here and I didn't have to re-read it because I've already been following this thread ;).

:wave: Hi there!

(from Yoda and the Duck, Duck, Goose thread)

Well, I said to H2 that I might get the audio book, but I haven't yet. I've got into reading Neal Stephenson at the moment, but if I see these in audio book for a reasonable price then I will.

From the description it seems more along the lines of 'Jonathan Creek' (British TV sleuth who designs magic tricks) I don't know if that gets to the US (maybe on Public Service Broadcasting) It's a BBC show -- rather than 'Dirk Gently the Hololistic Detective' as Ray suggested.

But, are we dealing with 'real' black magic here, not the fake illusionist magic of 'Joanthan Creek'?

If he is a civilian 'police expert' then it also would be similar to 'Cracker'. That's a British Ch4 show, with a Glasgow-based Criminal Psychiatrist who profiles murder suspects, but has a personal life so screwed up that he could keep an army of Psychiatrists occupied.

Nope. Harry's a wizard who is also a 'consultant' for the Chicago police department.

It's 'real' black and white magic - not magic tricks like Houdini. Though, Harry's father was a stage magician.

Not really sure how to describe it - b/c I don't wanna say it's 'like Harry Potter for the older generation' - b/c it's not. It's not a guy going to school. It's a guy who's been through training, but he's still not the best wizard around - he's still learning stuff, plus he's a hard-headed bugger and doesn't always listen or follow directions. He wants to get to the bottom of things before his friends get hurt. (Not a bad trait, but it could get him killed.)

Oh - and the audiobooks, as far as I know, are only available at:
http://www.buzzymultimedia.com

And, on the audiobook front -- it looks like James Marsters will be reading the 3rd book - "Grave Peril" - and that audiobook will be available some time in November --

hey - at least I might have some money by then.... ;)

A message from Jim Butcher a few weeks back mentioned that he had finished book 7 - "Dead Beat" - and was busy working on the next "Furies of Calderon" book (both to release next year) --

So, in Dresden - we're up to 7 - means he'll be starting on 8 soon - and Furies - we're on 2 - don't know how many books he has planned for Furies though...

Blood Rites - Dresden Book 6

Book Six in the Dresden Files series is titled Blood Rites -

Harry takes up an undercover bit as a Production Assistant on an adult film set to figure out who or what is going on that has the Executive Producer spooked.

Of course, if it was all that simple, this wouldn't be Harry Dresden, so there are twists and turns and ups and downs and fights and freaky-ness all over the place!

Harry has a lot to contend with... including dog-sitting duty until he can return the pup to it's rightful owner.

It's always a bit of a roller coaster ride with Harry!

imagey-goodness --

cover art for book 7 - Dead Beat - is now available --

HERE

they've changed artists - and book 7 will release in hardcover in May 2005! :)

The Audiobook for "Grave Peril" is available for pre-order...

order order order ---

there are also audio clips for your preview-ing enjoyment... ;)

Updates:

Harry Dresden ~ Wizard has been redesigned and updated...

Preview chapters for "Dead Beat" are up - the 1st three - courtesy of Jim Butcher.

Have a peek around and let me know if you have problems reading anything or navigating the site. ;)

Last edited: