Butcher, Jim -- The Dresden Files

Highlander II

There can be only one!!
The Dresden Files

Harry Dresden - the country's only publicly practicing wizard... he's in the book, under "WIZARDS" --

Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations. Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates. No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment
excerpt from "Storm Front"

Chicago's got a reputation (what city doesn't), but maybe there's more than meets the eye... Well, there is if you ask Harry Dresden. He's on retainer w/ the Special Investigations team of the Chicago PD, and they've seen some pretty strange stuff.

Book One of "The Dresden Files" is "Storm Front". Harry is called in to help investigate two unusual murders and finds himself at the business end of some dark magic.

You should ;) -- or you can order the audiobook, as read by James Marsters, from http://www.mediafans.com --

There is a site here for fans to either learn more about the author or the books, or for those who aren't fans yet, but might be interested. There is also a mailing list, that (if I read correctly) Jim Butcher is a member and regular poster to.

the 4 books, so far, in the series are:

Storm Front
Fool Moon
Grave Peril
Summer Knight

The fourth book hasn't released yet, it's due out either late this month or early next.

Jim Butcher has also posted at the JamesMarsters.com message board about Storm Front and James Marsters reading it for the audiobook.

Man, that's a lot of info. Anything else you want to know about? Story synopses, reviews? Let me know - and I'll do what I can.

"Summer Knight" is in bookstores now.

I think the official release date is 3 Sept (or it was 28 Aug - not sure) --

It's a wonderful book - further delving into the life of Harry Dresden --

Once I get back from Gatecon, I might be able to jot down some reviews --

I've seen these books in the bookshop. Didn't bother with them as the intro suggested something like Dirk Gently, Holistic Detective- i.e. tries to be funny but not succeeding.

Is this the case, or am I missing something?

No - that's not the case at all!

Honestly, I'll tell you, when I read a brief description of the first book - Storm Front and saw that the main character's name was "Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden" - I was a little anxious about buying the Audiobook, thinking that this guy had the corniest name ever for a character. But, as I love to listen to James Marsters talk, I bought the audiobook, eagerly awaited it's arrival, tossed in the first CD and was totally hooked w/ the very first paragraph.

And, if it's the character's name throwing you off, don't worry - there's a reason that he's named that, and it makes a bit of sense once you get into the book.

Harry Dresden is a very 'human' character - he's flawed, but has noble traits also. The combination of the two give you a realistic character (in a fantasy world, of course) that you find yourself concerned about as you read. You care about what happens to him, if he's injured, if his magic will work, if he's done something really wrong... and by the end of the first book, you're dying to know what happens to him in the next one --

Here you can find Sample Chapters from Storm Front.

I'm really picky about the books I read. I usually give 'em about 50 - 100 pages (depending on the length of the book), then if there's nothing of interest, I stop and move to a new book.

Storm Front and the others all take place in an 'alternate Chicago'. Harry Dresden is a wizard. Not a stage magician w/ rabbits in his hat and pigeons up his sleeves, he's a wizard. And as a wizard, he is governed by a body known as the White Council, and there are 'laws' of magic that all the wizards must follow.

And, IMO, I think Harry is funny and snarky and so many other things. The books aren't 'funny' and I don't think that was Jim Butcher's intention. The titles, however, are 'pun intended' and once you start reading, you do understand that the titles mean more than just 'naming the book'.

This is probably much more than you wanted, but it is my current obsession, tho, slightly tapered off as I've read all 4 books and the next one isn't due out for quite some time, IIRC. So, I think I'll stop now... ;)

Originally posted by Highlander II
This is probably much more than you wanted, but it is my current obsession, tho, slightly tapered off as I've read all 4 books and the next one isn't due out for quite some time, IIRC. So, I think I'll stop now... ;)
Not at all:)
Think this is what this forum is about. Learning what we might be facing if we pick up a book.
Your assessment is first rate.

I'll put the books on my list for obtaining. Thanks!

Storm Front --

Book one of The Dresden Files -

We meet Harry Dresden, wizard, he's the only one in the phone book, oddly enough ;), but he enjoys his work, though he's definitely NOT in it for the money. He lives in a humble apartment in the basement of an old rooming house with his very large cat, Mister. And, as wizards have an adverse affect on electronics, he has none - well, none that work anyway - except the telephone, and even that is sporatic.

Sitting in his office, he gets a phone call from a distraught woman whose husband has apparently gone missing and she's considering asking Harry to find him. Then, he gets another call from Det. Karrin Murphy about 2 bodies in a hotel room... and Harry's on the job!

Don't really wanna tell you much more b/c, as it's a murder mystery, much more than this would spoil the story!

However - here's a small snippet:

Have you ever been approached by a grim-looking man carrying a naked sword with a blade about ten miles long in his hand, in the middle of the night, beneath the stars on the shores of Lake Michigan? If you have, seek professional help. If you have not, then believe me, it can scare the bejeezus out of you.

If you want to know more -- grab a copy of the book and give it a read! I'm wicked w/ teasers! :evil:

Fool Moon -- book two of The Dresden Files -

Harry is approached by an on-again/off-again apprentice who is asking about some symbols. He refuses to tell her 'for her own good' and soon realizes that he might have made a mistake...

<insert ominous music>

Harry is now looking for a murderer... one who is very brutal, larger than most men, and leaves paw prints behind...

Grab the book to find out who... or what... the murderer is and how Harry solves the case!

Grave Peril

Grave Peril -- book three of The Dresden Files

Once again, our fave wizard has gotten himself into a tangle or two.

Someone or something's stirred up the spirit world and ghosts are having a party the 'big bad boo' way - keeping Harry on his toes and nose-deep in trouble (what else is new? ;))

It's a wild ride for Harry and his friend Michael Carpenter --

How do they get out of this one??

Announcement --

Book Five of the Dresden Files - Death Masks is due to release in August!

Plus, IIRC, there are 3 more Dresden books on the way after that! Not to mention, Ace just bought Jim Butcher's fantasy series, for which he's already penned 3 novels, so, there's tons of Jim Butcher coming to bookshelves! woohoo!!

Numfar - do the dance of joy! yes, again! :)

Next in the Dresden announcements --

Fool Moon will be released on audiobook, read by James Marsters, sometime this year - probably around August / September 2003 (right around DragonCon time) --

WOOHOO!!! More audio! yeah!! :D

well i just finished Storm Front and enjoyed it very much. it's not highbrow literature, which i admit a fondness for, (though not all the time of course!) but smart fun, with a few neat tricks and quirky twists. i am looking forward to reading the rest of the series, and also looking forward to hearing the audio book narrated by James Marsters. now that i've read the book, it's easy to imagine how well he'll capture Harry's voice. being able to "hear" the characters as i read is very important to me.

Even more --- Jim Butcher will be at ShevaCon in Roanoke, VA in February 2004 -- (I'll post a link to the Con's site when they've updated it a bit more) --

ETA: ShevaCon Website

Yes - I'm going to this! It's one of the only Con's I've ever heard of that is anywhere NEAR me (ie: I can drive there w/o needing to stop more than once) -- so, I'm going!

No to mention - JIM BUTCHER! I mean, come on - why not go?? :)

Originally posted by Highlander II
No to mention - JIM BUTCHER! I mean, come on - why not go?? :)
Hope he don't prove to be a big disapointment to you :)

Only author I know personally finds it difficult to string two understandable words together when speaking ;)

hehehe -- Thanx! I know where you're comin' from tho - ;)

Well - I've chatted w/ him via email and the mailing list for his fans - which he's on and pretty regularly converses w/ us on - and via e-mail, he's not a brainless git -- ;)

Then there are all the reports from ppl he's known / met over the years - his sister's on the list too -- she runs http://www.wizardsharry.com -- he's a fun guy -- a couple ppl on the mailling list used to LARP w/ him - so, I'm guessing he's not too bad on the conversational front -- :D

Update alert -- ;)

Got a nice little note from Mr. Butcher and he sent me some preview / teaser chapters for the new book that's due out in August 2004 -- "Blood Rites" -- and, in honor of such a lovely gesture, I've updated my Harry Dresden site --

Harry Dresden - Wizard

And yes, the first chapter of "Blood Rites" is loaded to the site... with a few others to follow over the coming weeks - just follow Harry and talk to Bob... ;)

this is such a happy thing. thanks, H2, for introducing me to the Dresden Files and for the effort you make on their behalf.

~highly articulate future author...:p

Yeah- you know - Jim told me the same thing - the thanx part -- I don't know if he's seen the site since the newest update - where I changed the layout and design --- (which needs a couple tweaks, but nothing big) -- but he saw the first incarnation of it --

Personally - I'm happier with it the way it is now -- ;)

And, you (and Jim too) are very welcome -- I love the Dresden files - love Harry (and Bob too!) -- the stories are great and I'm very much looking forward to what's in store for Harry next...