I need help finding a book

ubersimpleboy

Help!!
I'm trying to find the title of a book I once read. It was about a group of men called (I think) the Brotherhood who were genetically different from the rest of the human race. There were no women in their race and they were fairly identical( clones)
The leader of a unit of brothers was called "abbot" and later "bishop".

They seeded a enemy planet with a few babies and one grew up to be a military leader on the target planet. The book was about that man.

I hope that is enough information. I don't remember the title or the author but I'd really like to re-find this book. Any help at all would be very appreciated. You can post here or email me at ubersimpleboy@mac.com

thanks

Once again I have unearthed a very old unanswered book search. I have read this also and was searching for the same story online a few years ago without success. Further info to OP...the protagonist was indeed one of the cloned Brotherhood but was on the side of "normal" humanity. In this instance immortality drugs had long become the norm but after a few centuries of use people often chose Reclusion ( Seclusion?) Where they abstained and then aged normally. Because of this almost everyone in the free space navy fighting the Brotherhood had the physical appearance of 14 to 16 year olds, from the youngest recruits to senior admirals with several centuries of service. The Brotherhood had large dormitories on all their worlds with older youths raising the cloned boys. They too used the immortal drug from mid teens. The young brothers were raised not to be individual. One day you wore a red shirt so were called Red, the next day Green etc etc. Hope this extra info reminds someone cos I wanna read this again - great battles scenes I faintly recall

This is mega serious fellow Chrons - I've been pummeling my brain since stumbling across this old question since last night. Big shadows under my eyes. Gaunt unshaven cheeks. Furrowed brow. Palpitations. Erratic facial tic. Chewed fingernails. Snappy and irritable. Come on peoples and give succour ( and a title! ) thank you one and all

This is pretty obvious, but might it have been an inspiration for the Clone Wars? That might be a route worth following.

Some kind person over on stack exchange has today answered this same question for me.
Hero by Dave Duncan.1991

I appreciate the OP hasn't been here in 13 years but his query was identical to mine (and a combination was used on stack to identify the answer :))

Hero! – Dave Duncan

Last edited:
I assume you emailed the OP? He did leave an address which might still be current. Mine would be from that long ago.

I assume you emailed the OP? He did leave an address which might still be current. Mine would be from that long ago.
I emailed this morning but no response, however if email was no longer valid I think I would have got a message from gatekeeper:)

Edit: ....update on this.... I went and checked my emails again and I had an inbox from "postmaster" to inform me the message has been returned as Undeliverable so it looks like ubersimpleboy has let that address drop

Last edited:
Your dedication to the search is most admirable. I propose a plaque in your honor to commemorate your success. Even if the original searcher can no longer be found, let it be known his question was answered!