Ufo

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
I liked this better than 'Space 1999', but I think I'm in the minority. There were a lot of unanswered questions regarding the aliens and their reasons for attacking Earth that I would have liked closure on.

I read a story that Ed Bishop, Commander Straker, couldn't find acting work after UFO and took painting and decorating jobs. Once, he heard the UFO TV theme playing while he was at work, and looked out to find the the family of the house watching UFO on TV. Bishop said he was caught between laughing and crying. Here he was, an unemployed actor, wallpapering for a family that had no idea that the real Commander Straker was working in their kitchen.

:)
For a long time I thought Bishop's hair was a wig, or he dyed it specially. But apparently it isn't. It really is as white as it looks on UFO.

He is still working, I just looked him up at imdb:

http://uk.imdb.com/Name?Bishop,+Ed+(I)

Seems that he had a sticky patch in the 1980's with some 'adult' movies followed by several years of famine and drought.

I knew his real name was George Bishop, and he had to change it because there was already an actor with that name, but I didn't know the other piece of trivia I spotted there:

He was the voice of Captain Blue in 'Captain Scarlett'!

I've watched a couple of episodes at some point or other & found the show to be okay

I found all this information from http://www.geocities.com/rickstvshows/ufo.html

It says that Ed Bishop's hair was a wig, but Ray is correct that his hair is really white, so who knows.

UFO Cast Members:

Ed Bishop ................. Colonel Ed Straker
George Sewell ............. Colonel Alec Freeman
Peter Gordeno ............. Captain Peter Carlin
Grant Taylor .............. General James Henderson
Michael Billington ........ Colonel Paul Foster
Gabrielle Drake ........... Lieutenant Gay Ellis

UFO Premise:

Aliens are visiting the Earth and kidnapping humans. An organization called SHADO is formed to defend us from them. SHADO has several lines of defense. Missiles can be launched from a base on the Moon. High altitude aircraft can attack after being launched from submarines. There are also a fleet of armored vehicles spread out all over the planet. The episodes typically involve attempted alien attacks and how Earth defenses stop them.

UFO Trivia:

SHADO is an acronym for "Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organization". It is a control center hidden underground beneath a movie studio somewhere near London, England.

Earth had a satellite in orbit to detect the UFOs. It was called SID, another acronym for, "Space Intruder Detector".

The UFOs on the tv show could travel many times the speed of light, but would overheat and blow up if they spent more than a few days in Earth's atmosphere.

The women on the Moonbase all wore purple wigs. Sylvia Anderson, who along with her husband Gerry created the show, thought that in the future wigs might become part of a uniform. It sounds perculiar today, at that time wigs were very popular, and on the show Ed Bishop, George Sewell and Michael Billington also all wore wigs.

Colonel Straker's car had a few features that seemed science fiction in 1970 but are both available today. It had a car phone and an intruder alarm that automatically notified Headquarters in case he needed assistance of any kind.

Continuity error: In episode 6 "E.S.P." it is stated that the aliens' planet is dying and they meant us no harm, but in episode 9 "Destruction", the aliens tried to wipe out all life on Earth.

Episode Guide

- The First Season

1... Identified (9/16/1970)
2... Exposed (9/23/1970)
3... The Cat With Ten Lives (9/30/1970)
4... Conflict (10/7/1970)
5... A Question Of Priorities (10/14/1970)
6... E.S.P. (10/21/1970)
7... Kill Straker! (11/4/1970)
8... Sub-Smash (11/11/1970)
9... Destruction (12/2/1970)
10. The Square Triangle (12/9/1970)
11. Close Up (12/16/1970)
12. The Psychobombs (12/30/1970)
13. Survival (1/6/1971)
14. Mindbender (1/13/1971)
15. Flight Path (1/20/1971)
16. The Man Who Came Back (2/3/1971)
17. The Dalotek Affair (2/10/1971)
18. Timelash (2/17/1971)
19. Ordeal (4/14/1971)
20. Court Martial (5/1/1971)
21. The Computer Affair (5/15/1971)
22. Confetti Check A-O.K. (6/10/1971)
23. The Sound Of Silence (6/17/1971)
24. Reflections In The Water (6/24/1971)

- The Second Season (2 episodes only)

25. The Responsibility Seat (5/8/1973)
26. The Long Sleep (5/15/1973)

We loved UFO (especially Commander Straker's character - and therefore his *lovely* alter-ego Ed Bishop)

Saw him in a play called BROKEN GLASS (about holocaust) by Arthur Miller.

He was brilliant and very friendly (especially over an unexpected chat in the theatre's coffee bar for over an hour and a half - and that's on a first encounter - too!) His hair was naturally, dark brown - only blonde fro Straker which was a wig!

Back