Enemy Mine (1985)

ray gower

From IMDB
A soldier from Earth crashlands on an alien world after sustaining battle damage. Eventually he encounters another survivor, but from the enemy species he was fighting; they band together to survive on this hostile world. In the end the human finds himself caring for his enemy in a completely unexpected way.

An excellent film, criminally forgotten.
Two enemies, Drax and Human, with their inevitable racial bigotry face each other after crash landing, then discover that the only way either will survive is for both to work together and learn to be friends. Old story. But add a twist with the Drax giving birth before dying. Leaving our human warrior a father. Then a desperate search to find his orphaned son after being taken by human slavers and final reconciliation.

I saw this at the cinema. I liked it but I wouldn't rate it that high. Worth renting if you have never seen it. There isn't a great deal of action, it's very talky which is probably why it's been forgotten.

Starred Denis Quaid as the human, and Lou Gossett Jnr. as the lizard-like alien. The planet they crashlanded on was called Dracon.

Totally enjoy this movie, it was so touching. Good one. :D

Krystal :alienooh:

I must admit, I had forgotten this one and I thought it a very enjoyable and touching film. I rented it, liked it and bought it to watch whenever I wanted.

I liked it because I thought the acting and learning to get along and teaching a child (all be it another race) shows love and loyalty has no bounds. Mushie, huh :p

Think I'll get it out and watch it again :D

With Denis Quad and Lou Gosset Jr . Based on the story by Barry Longyear . If any film can be called underrated , it's this film . This is a great science fiction film well written , directed and acted. :cool:

I remember going to see this at the Cinema. A genuinely excellent movie and criminally forgotten is a great way to describe it, Ray.

Surprised no one has felt to remake it.

Last edited:
I remember going to see this at the Cinema. A genuinely excellent movie and criminally forgotten is a great way to describe it, Ray.

Given the quality of most remakes , I hope the done't remake this one. It's fine the way it is.:cool:

It reminded me of a WW2 film with Lee Marvin? and Famous Japanese Actor about 2 survivors on an otherwise deserted Pacific island. Enjoyed both films.

It reminded me of a WW2 film with Lee Marvin? and Famous Japanese Actor about 2 survivors on an otherwise deserted Pacific island. Enjoyed both films.
Hell in the Pacific, starring Lee Marvin and Toshirô Mifune who both served in the pacific during WWII. Marvin was a Marine and Mifune was in the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service. This film was successful in both the US and Japan as both actors spoke in their native tongue, meaning most audiences could only understand half of anything said.

Hell in the Pacific, starring Lee Marvin and Toshirô Mifune who both served in the pacific during WWII. Marvin was a Marine and Mifune was in the Imperial Japanese Army Air Service. This film was successful in both the US and Japan as both actors spoke in their native tongue, meaning most audiences could only understand half of anything said.

One of John Boorman's best films . It's a very good companion with Enemy Mine.

I saw this at the cinema. I liked it but I wouldn't rate it that high. Worth renting if you have never seen it. There isn't a great deal of action, it's very talky which is probably why it's been forgotten.

Starred Denis Quaid as the human, and Lou Gossett Jnr. as the lizard-like alien. The planet they crashlanded on was called Dracon.

It must have great on the big screen. It's one of Wolfgang Petersen best films. :cool:

It must have great on the big screen
I honestly can no longer remember, it was 36 years ago! I can't remember what I ate for Breakfast this morning!
Star Trek TNG did do an episode like this though. In Darmok, Picard is marooned on a planet with an alien captain who speaks a metaphorical language incompatible with the universal translator. They must learn to communicate with each other.
It reminded me of a WW2 film with Lee Marvin?
I think it is generally accepted that Hell in the Pacific was a huge influence upon Enemy Mine.