Excalibur (1981)

I'm surprised he wasn't more renowned. He struck me as a wittier (almost cheeky) Obi-Wan in Excalibur. I think Excalibur was brilliant for its time and still worth re-watching. It'll be interesting to see if it excites my kids when they are old enough to watch it (and definitely that will be older than eight!).

I first saw Excalibur when about 15, and it's had a great influence on me. A friend of mine and I always seem to end up saying "Speak the words! Yes, that's it!" in a West Country accent whenever we meet, usually while drinking cider. Excalibur is absolutely brilliant and Merlin in particular. I think it's the best version of the story I've seen, with the balance of mysticism and earthiness spot on. Also, it introduced me to Siegfried's Funeral March, which is a great piece of music.

But how the hell did they do that special effect where Launcelot pulls the sword out of himself?

Also, it introduced me to Siegfried's Funeral March, which is a great piece of music.

I didn't catch the names of the pieces used in the soundtrack when I saw the film at my uni's cinema screen. Of course there wasn't any internet then, and I couldn't think of any way to find out what they were, so I walked into a classical music shop in town and hesitantly said, "I don't suppose you know a film called Excalibur ...?" The owner half-smiled and said, "Ah yes, you'll want this, this and this," and pulled out tapes of music from the Ring Cycle, Wagner preludes (including Parsifal), and Orff's Carmina Burana. I'm grateful I didn't have to hum them.

As long as this movie's been out, I hate to admit the first time my wife & I saw it was July, 2010. We need to rewatch it again soon.

Sad to hear about Williamson...:( -kd5-

Loved the film. Just recently had to get rid of the video as my video machine died and will definitely be looking to obtain the DVD - must have watched this film over 20 times (must get a life! must get a life!) and I still find something new each time. I adored Williamson's interpretation of Merlin.

One of the most beautiful versions I've ever seen with supurb acting as well. A bit over-done with the costume designs but in a way that is what made it so different from any other version.

Sad ending to.

Back