Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956)

ray gower

[Earth vs. the Flying Saucers] How to produce a bad movie and keep a straight face

From IMDB
Dr. Russell Marvin heads up Operation Skyhook, which is tasked with sending rockets into the upper atmosphere to probe for future space flights. Unfortunately, all the rockets are somehow disappearing. During the final rocket launching, a UFO lands and the military shoots at it, triggering the destruction of the installation and a cryptic warning from the aliens. In response, Marvin and his colleagues develop an anti-magnetic beam weapon to disable the flying discs. The weapon and the mettle of the populace of Washington, DC are soon put to the test.
Filmed in wobbly black and white, this B movie ranks right up with Killer Tomatoes.

Then the book was dire as well. Read it after I saw the film

Which goes to prove one cannot make a silk purse from a sows ear

LMAO

I haven't seen this film - but I have heard reviews that make it sounds as bad as you say. I had to come in here and post as that is the best thread title I have EVER read :D

With its budget, horse opera history of director, producer and writer, and dreadfully serious way it took itself, it never stood a chance!

Another Ray Harryhausen classic. You expect it to make sense also? Sheesh! Just go with the flow and have some fun.

S'truth. Tomatoes was a send of the genre that EVTFS pretty much defines.
Remeber seeing the preview for this and being worked up. Saucers crash into Washington? Bring it on.

Saucers crash into Washington? Bring it on.

I suppose they couldn't deny the existence of aliens any longer. Anyway, if a sequel is made, they could show the saucers being backengineered and the technology put toward those antigravity cars I kept being informed about from movies I was shown in grade school.

Aw heck, why kid myself, the governments would keep all of the technology for themselves, while we putter around in primitive combustion machines, automobiles.

I thought it was interesting that the aliens looked very simular to the "Greys" we hear about.

I have this on DVD. Just imagine Mars Attacks without the humour and that's about what this movie is:)