1.04: And The Ground Sown With Salt

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Directed by: Peter Deluise

Jason Priestly, Perry's co-star from BEVERLY HILLS 90210, makes a special appearance as a self-proclaimed god on a mission of doom, warning all who will listen of an impending Armageddon.

What I can say about this episode, this was D'Bomb! literally. :lol: Jason Priestley as Michael was awesome. What a villain! I think with this performance many forgot the cute guy in Beverly Hills. This episode put him in my list of great baddies. Other things I love about this episode when Kurdy ask Jeremiah is he have a plan, that was so funny.

We know more about Valhalla Sector, that they're well eqquipped will all that military stuff from military bases. And how Michael mention that there are others like himself(baddies). This others truly will be a strong enemy for the Thunder Mountain group. It was a shame that Michael was send to kindgom come with the explosion because he was truly a great villain. Love to see him more. :evil:

Krystal :eek:

He did play a rather wonderful psychopath.

To him it all made perfect sense. Very chilling.

Originally posted by Gemsong
He did play a rather wonderful psychopath.

To him it all made perfect sense. Very chilling.

Yeah, you use the perfect word psychopath. That truly describe him in the episode. :eek:

Krystal :D

What can I say, see it again love it again. :rolly2: This episode truly was one of the best in Season 1. And Michael was great, is a shame that his character can't come back for some more action. It would be good to see how he will act before Valhalla Sector. :evil:

Krystal :p

I don't know. Michael is a little too creepy as a psycho to keep around.

Nothing more scarey than the psycho that thinks he's sane. :)

Good point! But maybe a psycho could make Valhalla Sector run for their lives. :lol:

This morning on the news I heard Jason Priestly was in another serious car accident. I haven't heard anything on his condition yet. :(

Yeah, I read it in another forum but the news are that it was a serious one but the doctors expect that he will recovers entirely and be back again, I read that the persons with him in the race business are sure that he will come back and do it again because he love that race business. :eek: Scary! But I hope he gets healthy again soon.

Krystal :cool:

Sorry to have to say it, but this series is still not gripping me. I think it would be a brutal and savage world as depicted, but why are all it’s leaders (with the exception of Markus) so cruel, evil and insane.

In the end it was pretty lucky for Kurdy and Jeremiah that Michael was disliked so much. They would never have brought about his downfall if he had been a more charismatic leader. But, we have now been given the same story in three out of four episodes (find closed society, enter and are captured, dislike ideals of leader(s) or gangs, escape and/or depose leader(s))

Also it was quite a coincidence that Michael was just ripe for his dethronement – I can’t remember exactly how long he had been at the air force base, but in all that time he had never used a ‘Daisy Cutter’ (even to test it out), and his ‘Angel’ had not got pregnant (none of the women are, maybe the ‘Big Death’ makes them infertile.)

I also think Michael would have worked out where the ‘End of the World’ was for himself by now. He claims to have information on people as far away as the Rocky Mountains and the South. But obviously, that was just a way of throwing in a line about Valhalla Sector again. Also, knowing where it is is one thing, getting in would be another. Kurdy and Jeremiah found that out.

Which is why I don’t think Jeremiah would have held out on the information so long. And why not use Kurdy as a hostage? Would Jeremiah have not given in then?

You make some good points there Dave, and I will come to them in a bit, but first I want to say that I think I have been a little put off by this episode for two main reasons.

Firstly, Jeremiah's outburst when that huge fella complains that J has taken his 'spot', was frightening, not the kind of behaviour I would like to see in my heroes. I suppose we saw shades of it in the last episode, but at least then he had serious motivation for his rampage. I wonder how far J is from the psychosis of this episode's Michael?

Secondly, I have to disagree with you ladies about Priestly's performance. I have seen him in other things where he has been quite enjoyable to watch, but every time he set off on one of his crazed monologues I was thinking of William Shatner's stilted dialogue (or rather, the parodies of it) in Star Trek.
I agree with Dave's assessment that if Michael really was all that charismatic, as he is supposed to be, then there shouldn't be such widespread discontent with his methods. Not even his henchmen seemed particularly happy with their jobs - surely a pre-requisite in that kind of set up.

I think there were too many convenient weaknesses in Michael's operation, and I also thought it seemed too much like an obvious plot device that Julie should be pregnant and thus given the motivation to turn against Michael.
I did however quite like the angel of death scene at the end, and have to say that I am quite glad we will never see this character in his present state again. I wouldn't mind seeing him again, but not as the arch-nemesis type we saw here - perhaps as a shrivelled refugee who arrives at Thunder Mountain in the next season, without his god-complex.

If Michael has access to even basic military information that is accessible at the base (like how to operate those Daisy cutters) then he could probably work out the other strongholds of military power from a map of other bases. And Cheyenne Mountain is going to figure prominently there. So I agree that it seems odd that he wouldn't have figured it out yet.
How did the mole get info back to the End of the World exactly?

I often watch my sf with non-sf fan friends, and usually the things I really like don't often elicit many groans from my companions, but this series does, on a minute-to-minute basis (A notable exception to this little rule is Trek). I am also not getting interested in the series very quickly, and at this point and far more interested in figuring out whats happening back at Thunder Mountain than on the a-team-like exploits of Jeremiah and Kurdy.

Which is why I don’t think Jeremiah would have held out on the information so long. And why not use Kurdy as a hostage? Would Jeremiah have not given in then?
I wondered about this too, but a good reason for not using one of the two as a hostage would be that they BOTH know about Thunder M, so if circumstances led to the death of one then Michael would have been severely limiting his options.
I also didn't think Jeremiah would held out that long on the information front, in fact, considering how things turned out, giving the information might have saved a lot of lives. Mind you, if the information had been turned over then Michael would likely have killed them anyway. Again leads to my opinion of Jeremiah being a little bit pyschotic - I certainly wouldn't have held out in the face of that kind of threat to others. Why does he have such a deep allegiance to Markus and the others anyway?

I think it would be a brutal and savage world as depicted, but why are all it’s leaders (with the exception of Markus) so cruel, evil and insane.

Well, I really think probably seeing death all around you and growth without guidance as a child could make some of this things happens. Because one of the things that I think generally spread violence is panic. I imagine all that kids without parents and having to learn to survive in a world not always kind and where justice not always is served. So that definitely will create some psycho like Michael. Or someone strong minded like Theo. But you will see other kind of leaders Dave as the series progress.

I wonder how far J is from the psychosis of this episode's Michael?

Well, I think Jeremiah is very intense in his feelings, he most of the time is quiet but I think probably what will put apart Jeremiah from Michael is that he cares for other people. But as someone tell him in other episode he's carry a big burden himself. Feeling he doesn't keep his promise to his dad about his brother. So he could be mean when he wanted specially with the ones that do wrong to others but he generally try to do good. And he could be a little self minded with everything that have to do with Valhalla Sector.

About this I think this is what makes Jeremiah a little psycho in this episode as Tabitha mention. Since he's a caring person specially when innocent people are at stake. But I suppose Jeremiah held out because of loyalty more than anything and probably thinking what Michael will do with two well equipped bases in his hands. He definitely show him that he was capable of anything. So I think the reason he couldn't help this people was eating him inside. As for why not using Kurdy that is a good question, it would make sense is Michael was so interesting in getting the information. Probably taking Kurdy will make Jeremiah talk also. But as why Michael select Jeremiah to torture it was because he sees that Jeremiah cares and saw his weakness when he help the other people.

Well, I hope you like the other episodes but is this don't make it probably Firewall will do it. Hope so. I think the stronger episodes are the arc episodes. Anyway is good to hear other points of view. ;)