Rumoured "Superman vs Batman" Movie in production

Tabitha

Save Angel!
Yep, you read that right.

Various websites, including the ever-faithful www.scifi.com/scifiwire and www.aintitcool.com report rumours over Das Boot and Air Force One director Wolfgang Petersen's involvement with this project. No stars have so far been attached to take on the titular roles, but the director has apparently gone on the record as saying he would like "someone like Matt Damon".

Batman Vs. Superman Hinted

Wolfgang Petersen, who is slated to direct Warner Brothers' upcoming Batman vs. Superman movie, told MTV.com that the two DC Comics superheroes will clash over their beliefs. "I cannot tell you what really gets them together," he told the site. "I can say that much of [the conflict] is because of the different philosophies that they represent. Superman represents sort of everything clear and bright and noble. He represents our hopes and ideals. Batman, on the other hand, represents the dark and obsessive and vengeful side."

Petersen added, "The plot is structured in a way that these two very different sides basically of the same coin have to clash at some point, because they handle situations totally differently. ... For a large portion of the thing they are at each other's throats. But then, of course, because they are both crime fighters, they join forces again and fight evil."

Seven writer Andrew Kevin Walker is working on the script, which Petersen said will contain villains, lots of action and absolutely no Robin, MTV.com reported. "We have a script that really very, very much concentrates on the characters," he said. "It's really material for two great actors." Petersen added that Batman vs. Superman will steer clear of the conventions laid down in each film series, though he admitted some degree of influence from DC Comics' World's Finest series.
I for one am pretty excited by this prospect, although a little apprehensive. Various other Batman projects are in varying degrees of production and I would particularly like to see the Darren Aronofsky project "Batman: Year One" come to fruition.

visit http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1456016/20020710/index.jhtml?headlines=true for a more in depth look at what Petersen had to say.

i can't wait till they start making this one. i think it's gonna be pretty cool:cool:

Who do you think they should cast as the lead roles? Matt Damon and Ben Affleck (I am SO being sarcastic here...)

I never liked the idea of Nicholas Cage as Superman, but I hope they cast people who are fairly old, at least over thirty anyway.

nic cage as superman?!? no! and it wouldn't be ben affleck. he's already doing a superhero movie. but matt damon might actually be good. have you seen the bourne identity yet? OMG it is soooo good! matt damon, though i didn't think he would, really has what it takes to be an action star. but i think he might be a bit young to play batman or superman. personally i wish they'd bring val kilmer back, but i don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon. i wonder who they WILL cast?......

Val Kilmer - nnnooooooooo! I am sorry, I hated him in the role :(
He is about the right age though.

Ben Affleck is currently doing Daredevil, the trailers are playing already, even though it's not until until next february, and it looks like it is going to ROCK!

I have seen the Bourne Identity and I thought it was great - Matt Damon is a more interesting action star than many, and more believeable than most. He has a funny look to him, and is too much of a little boy to take on either of these roles IMHO. I would queue for Bourne sequels though...

Wolfgang Petersen seems to share our opinions of Damon - although not to the point where he wants to actually cast him. I think he wants to cast people who we migth not yet think of as action stars.

What do you think of Christian Bale as Batman?
(I just watched the supremely cool Reign of Fire :) )

He does a funny thing with his lip, but we know he can do an American accent (American Psycho) and he certainly got the "grim intensity" bit down pat in Reign.

ok, now this is a little creepy. i was just thinking about who might play in the movie and jude law came to mind. don't ask me why. i mean i love his work as an actor, not to mention i think he's really hot :naughty:, but it's probably b/c i just saw road to perdition last night and he was in it. (good movie btw) but check this out....
The latest Entertainment Weekly included more details on the 2004 Warner Bros. project...
Batman vs. Superman won't dwell on the heroes' origins. Instead, the titular titans cross paths (and figurative swords) over a case involving both Metropolis and Gotham. "Their individual crises are what pit them against each other," says Petersen. "Superman [stands by] his old thing of 'truth, justice, and the American way' - oh, boy, he gets into trouble with that one!" Meanwhile the brooding Batman "gets into a case so violent that he's about to lost it. [But] it's a superhero film, so of course at the end they join forces."

While he downplays any serious overtones, Petersen says that post-Sept. 11 he wants to create more realistic working conditions for his protagonists. "It doesn't deal with a political situation like [the attacks], but it deals with the morality of this world right now and the gray zone we're in. Just to see how superheroes work in today's world is interesting."

The article goes on to say that they are looking for a few good men (in their late 20s to early 30s) to suit up for the leads.

The director says he's looking for thesps who "can really act and give complexity and emotions, but would have the fun of being a great superhero and maybe pump up a little bit."

According to EW, the shortlist of actors includes Johnny Depp, Colin Farrell, James Franco, Jude Law and Paul Walker

This really is strange. Last night when I was also watching Road to Perdition I was thinking that Jude Law would make a pretty cool Alfred - although way too young of course!

He's too skinny and, well SMALL to play either of these characters. I think both the roles should be played by pretty big fellas. Bloomin good actor though.

did you ever see 'music from another room'? he was great in that! it's cute romantic comedy.

i agree with you though on the size thing. i mean, he mention them buffing up, but as they learned with leo, there's only so much of that that's possible.

When did Leo buff up? I thought he just 'spread' :evil:

Actually all those actors are way too young - and Colin Farrell is playing the villain Bullseye in the new Daredevil movie.
None of them have the right look - I think they should get some almost-unknowns, people that we don't instantly recognise from previous roles.

I haven't seen the Jude Law movie you mention - but I have loved him in everything else. oh oh oh! I have just realised - he would make an EXCELLENT Lex Luthor. You saw Road to Perdition - he plays evil incredibly well.
I am totally on board with casting Jude now!!!

he WOULD make a great lex luthor. though i'm not entirely sure i wanna see him go bald.....(not that he has to, not all versions of lex have been bald)

they made leo put on 30 exta lbs. to play in 'the beach' (which i thought was really good btw).

Casting rumours abound!

EW posted the shortlist above, but www.aintitcool.com yesterday posted that the shortlist had been narrowed to 2. Jude Law is supposedly donning the blue and red, whilst Colin Farrell is to wear the cowl and cape.

The rumour has since been debunked by, among others, the Coming Attractions website (www.corona.bc.ca), but I highly recommend checking out the aicn talkback posts for interesting and often hilarious opinions on why these actors would be magnificent or horrible in the roles.

AICN responds to criticism of their casting spoilers and offers some info...

Latest news from www.aintitcool.com :

------------------------------------------------------------------

Why Jude Law Left Warners' BATMAN VS SUPERMAN And Who Replaced Him!
Hey folks, Harry here. I've gotten a few letters that wanted to know why I never took back my story about Jude Law and Colin Farrell and their involvement in BATMAN VS SUPERMAN. Why didn't I just post it was all lies when Warners came out against it. The reason is because we were not wrong.
Jude Law had the role. It was his. He was happy with the money that was being offered, and they were just waiting on the final contracts from what Nanobot 1 and others were telling us. The people around the office were in a happy talkative jabberjaw mode (typical Warner etiquette by the way) and when the deal fell apart, it wasn't about money, it was about Sequels. Jude wasn't adverse to playing Superman in multiple films, he just wanted to be able to commit to those projects individually based upon the quality of their respective scripts. Reportedly, Jude was very interested in the Andrew Kevin Walker script for BATMAN VS SUPERMAN. I've heard it is very good, and I've been told by Houdini to expect to read it soon. However, Jude... being a QUALITY PERFORMER and knowing Warner Brothers' shitty history on Superhero Franchises, where self-parody and out right spectacular suicide dives into empty swimming pools filled with broken beer glass on these types of things... Well he wanted to control his destiny. And of course, the concept of having a star with integrity that could vote one way or another in regards to his committment on a project... Well, that's just too much.
SO... Rather than giving your star performer an assurance of quality control... Rather than going with their first choice. Rather than that, they are going with Josh Hartnett. Now, admittedly, Josh is in the exact stage of negotiation right now that Jude Law was in. The Final Negotiations. That tick tock tick tock moment to moment of a project where the balance is precariously awkward.
..... [snip]

....Colin Farrell is BATMAN still. That's been locked up, and we'll let you know the second the ink dries on Josh's contract. As of yet, it hasn't landed yet. And Josh... If you are out there... don't listen to the agent or the money on this one. Don't sign a contract with Warner Brothers to play the wrong character repeatedly. Don't do it. Josh, think about the Fleischer SUPERMAN cartoons I showed you in my backyard.... That isn't you. You are not SUPERMAN. I remember how much you liked those. How cool you thought they were, but that isn't you. Maybe at age 32 or 36. If you do sign, I wish you the best of luck, because the last thing in the world I want is another sucky Warner Brothers Superhero film.

Superman 5 Rumours Flying

Both SciFi Wire and the Dark Horizons Web sites have today rounded up rumours concerning the proposed fifth Superman movie. But you seem to have already debunked some of these rumours already:

Ain't It Cool News reported a rumour that Ashton Kutcher (Just Married), Kip Pardue (Rules of Attraction) and Barry Watson (TV's 7th Heaven) are in line for the title role, as is Josh Hartnett, but not (Smallville) Tom Welling.

Ain't It Cool also reported rumours that the project has been shut down for two months to fix script and budget problems, that director Brett Ratner isn't happy with preproduction and that there's a possibility the movie could be filmed in Canada.

The 4Filmmakers Web site reported a rumor that Jude Law (A.I. Artificial Intelligence) is another candidate for the title role.

Coming Attraction have no one confirmed for the role.

that sucks that they lost jude law! :mad: i love him! but i do think he was really smart for his choice. otherwise he might have gotten roped into something like batman and robin :blah: :dead: