Top 5 Fav Buffy Eps?

I couldnt see a thread like this anywhere else so i thought i'd start one. What are your favourite top 5 Buffy eps?

My list would have to include The Musical, Smashed, The Gift and Something Blue. But i'd have to think about the order and the other ep i would include first :)

:fangs:xxx:smokin:

5?? I can only choose 5? [panic]

ok, deep breaths....I'll have to go and think.

:D

Oh, er, i was maybe thinking about upping it to 10? I thought of another one i would like to add to my list - Hush - a masterpiece.

Ok, i've changed it now from being Top 5 List, to Top 5 or 10 List, whichever.

My ten favourite episodes in no particular order(I can't narrow it down to five):
Band Candy
The Zeppo
Earshot
Dopplegangland
Hush
A New Man
Once More with Feeling
The Replacement
Becoming
Graduation Day

well - I'll try to get it to 5 --

1. Intervention (all-time fave)

(the rest are in no particular order - just the order I can remember them)

2. Tabula Rasa / Band Candy (kind of a tie - "TR" might beat b/c Spike's in it)
3. Once More With Feeling
4. Harsh Light of Day
5. What's My Line I & II

Some other close ones are:

Angel
Halloween
Lie to Me
Becoming I & II
The Yoko Factor (but only b/c Angel beats the snot out of Riley) :evil:

Ok, -

1) Once More, With Feeling

And then i can't decide the order of the other 9 so they would just be -

Becoming II
Band Candy
Something Blue
Hush
Intervention
The Gift
Life Serial
Tabula Rasa
Smashed

Boy, it's not easy.

I didn't spend a lot of time on picking the episodes, because I was afraid that I would just get frozen trying to choose between them all. So I went mostly with impulse picks by scanning the episode titles. I'm sure if I thought about each show in detail, I'd never be able to decide on just 10.

1) Becoming - I had to cheat and count both episodes as one, in order to make only ten. The story that convinced me that Buffy was the best on TV. When she sends Angel to hell and the voice of Sarah McLaughlin begins that sad song, even though I am a mostly unsentimental man and over the age of 40, I wept - no sobbing, just couldn't keep my eyes from leaking.

2) The Gift - The second best finale. The best one-on-one fight, even if Xander did lend a heavy hand at one point. Each of the characters had something unique and vital to add to the episode. And yes, the ending made me cry - again! The sure sign of a winner story.

3) The Body - I can't believe no one has mentioned this one yet. I just regret that they had to add that lame vampire at the end. It was a perfect episode without any monsters. Most shows have a character die and the very next scene is the funeral and then everyone moves on. This story took us minute-by-painful-minute through the death of loved one. No TV drama that I am aware of has ever dealt so unflinchingly with this subject. Without a doubt, it should have won the Emmy that year.

4) Anne - The perfect follow-up to Becoming. Despite her best efforts, Buffy is forced to face the fact that she is a hero. Lily was a great character as well. The best Buffy vs. a whole gang of bad guys fight. When she was up on that raised platform kicking the ass of all comers, it was a rush. It also gets the nod as one of my favorite Buffy-as-Bruce-Willis lines, "Anyone not having fun here, follow me."

5) Graduation, Pt. I - I could have cheated and added Pt. II, but that would have cheapened Pt. I, which was far better. The definitive Buffy vs. Faith showdown. The dismissal of Wesley combined with Buffy's "graduation" from the Watchers. Buffy's and Faith's mystical connection through dreams. Anya professing her confounding love for Xander and becoming a member of the team. But mostly - Buffy vs. Faith.

6) The Wish - Speaking of Anya. The dark, morbid alternate universe. Cordy getting what she deserves for creating that hell world. Evil Willow. Puppy Angel. And Giles saves the world from Anya and the Master, which he doesn't get enough credit for, because no one remembers it.

7) Innocence - The introduction of Angelus; Jenny's secrets revealed; The Judge; Angelus-Spike-Dru together again for the first time; Willow and Oz sitting in the van - "See, in my fantasy when I'm kissing you, you're kissing me. It's okay. I can wait."; and, of course, the rocket launcher - "What does that do?"

8) Once More, With Feeling - a gimmick show, but a gimmick that worked. They could have done all the character and story development without singing, but they were also talented enough to pull off the challenge. I have a soundtrack CD I created of the songs and I still play it at work sometimes and sing-along.

9) Faith, Hope & Trick - Two great characters introduced in one show. Sadly, Trick did not live up to his potential, but he had great beginnings. Faith as the anti-Buffy. Faith getting to know the gang at The Bronze is a laugh from start to finish. Faith seeming to thoroughly enjoy being a Slayer. Joss doesn't seem to keep edge-y characters around for long, but it was obvious from the start that Faith was a keeper.

10) Hush - Another gimmick show, but another one that worked. The briefing by Giles without words is a classic comedy bit. Riley meeting Buffy as The Vampire Slayer for the first time. And the Gentlemen were great bad guys. One of the most creepy moments of all time was contemplating having your heart cut out and your screams can't even be heard. - OH! I forgot and so I'm adding this later - I can't believe I didn't remember that this is the beginnings of Willow and Tara's relationship. For that reason alone it belongs in the top ten.

Actually - if I'd yanked out my episode guide - my choices might have been a little different --

Episodes like "The Body" and "Hush" would have been included I think -- I just got lazy and didn't pull it up --

of course - you watch an episode one day and aren't sure about it, then you watch it again later and love it --- things change ---

I thought about including The Body but decided it didn't fit my meaning of favourite. I take favourites as the episodes that I just love watching over and over but with The Body, it had such an impact and so emotional that I don't think I could watch it over and over without lessening it. I do agree with it being a brilliant episode though.

Hey, guys, I wasn't trying to say anyone had to explain why they didn't include "The Body", it's just an expression.

But it is interesting that you should mention, how you select a favorite. I have a different approach, which might explain my picks. Since I have seen an awful lot of the tube in my long experience, I want to see something I haven't seen before - surprise me! Make me pay attention, instead of surfing the web with your show in the background. Command my attention! It isn't easy because I've seen it all, or at least 90% of what passes for "original" or "new" on TV.

That's how tragedies can end up being my favorites, because lots of "artists" can't face handing their audience an unhappy ending. I guess that's also how most of my picks end up being stories without real conclusions, but just continuations of a larger story.

[Highlander II: you watch an episode one day and aren't sure about it, then you watch it again later and love it.]

Yeah, that's kinda what I meant about not wanting to think about it too much, since each episode has it's moments.

I just went for those that I remembered having more good, if not great moments, than weak ones. I had to weed out "Lie to Me", "Doppelgangerland" - with Evil Willow, whom I love and Willow pretending to be Evil Willow, whom I love more; and "Checkpoint" - when Buffy finally starts to turn Season 5 around and tells off the Watchers.

I repeat, it's not easy, but it is fun. I'm glad they changed it to 10 shows.

Shaun, what was it that made you choose "Earshot"? I don't know if you remember it, but that episode was delayed in its broadcast due to a school shooting very near the time it was to be shown. In the US, it was actually shown a few weeks after Season 4 had ended.

That's a trivia question on my website.

Originally posted by obcooke
Hey, guys, I wasn't trying to say anyone had to explain why they didn't include "The Body", it's just an expression.
Don't worry, I knew what you meant. I posted it because I did think about putting it on my list.
Shaun, what was it that made you choose "Earshot"? I don't know if you remember it, but that episode was delayed in its broadcast due to a school shooting very near the time it was to be shown. In the US, it was actually shown a few weeks after Season 4 had ended.
Why I liked it? I'm not really sure why I liked any of them, I just looked at an episode list and remembered what I felt about the episodes. Earshot, I thought, was well written and funny, and the acting was well done, especially Jonathon.

I did know about it being delayed when our fox channel made a big deal when they aired it saying it wasn't allowed to be shown in the US, even if it had probably already aired there. Jane Espenson also mentions it on her audio commentary in the episode; on why it was delayed and her feelings about it.

This is an old thread, but there is a new contributor.

USA Today published several articles on the end of Buffy today.

Joss came up with his list of his top ten episodes.

Here it is:

1. Innocence

2. Once More With Feeling

3. Hush

4. The Body

5. Doppelgangland

6. The Wish

7. Becoming, Part II

8. Restless

9. Conversations With Dead People (Season Seven)

10. Prophecy Girl

Joss includes some comments on the shows at the link and there are links to the other stories of the day.

Oh hard, urm top ten then (this isn't in any order)

Once more with feeling
The Wish
Dopplegangland
Something Blue
The Pack
A New Man
Fool For love
Intervention
Beneath You
Lies my parents told me

:D
I love em all really

Boy, it's not easy.

[/B]

So true...okay top ten in order

1. Fool For Love
2. Intervention
3. Selfless
4. The Gift
5. OMWF
6. Becoming Part 1
7. Crush
8. Something Blue
9. Who Are You
10. Tabula Rasa

Doesn't take a genius to figure out the links between my choices - Spike overload, Angel, Faith, Drusilla and Anya centred storylines, plenty of exploring into the past, a couple of gimmicks and one great apocalypse.:D

Ok, top 10 in some kind of order:

1. Once more with feeling
2. Band Candy
3. Tabula Rasa
4. The Gift
5. Passion
6. Becoming pt 2
7. Halloween
8. Something Blue
9. Helpless
10. The Dark Age

Are there any other Canadian fans here who were a little disappointed with the choices on the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Marathon (Space CH)?

I just started watching the re-runs part way thru season 3 but I pretty instantly became a fan. As with the X-files I have a soft spot for gimmicks so Hush and Once Again with Feeling were great.

These were the top 10 choices voted for by viewers of the Space Channel BTW.

1. Once More With Feeling
2. Hush
3. Family
4. The Gift
5/6. Graduation Day - Parts 1&2
7. The Body
8/9. Becoming - Parts 1&2
10. Tabula Rasa

Originally posted by greyhorse
These were the top 10 choices voted for by viewers of the Space Channel BTW.

1. Once More With Feeling
2. Hush
3. Family
4. The Gift
5/6. Graduation Day - Parts 1&2
7. The Body
8/9. Becoming - Parts 1&2
10. Tabula Rasa
It's made up of a lot of my fav eps, i wouldn't have been disappointed with that list (i'm not Canadian tho!) :)

[Originally posted by little smaug: I'm surprised "Family" got so high...]

I really liked it, although I admit I have a hard time just picking 10 top episodes.

If you're a fan of Tara or Willow-Tara, it's great one.

It's the one where Tara was finally declared a full Scoobie after her doubts about her acceptance in the group.

MR. MACLAY: This is insane. You people have no right to interfere with Tara's affairs. We are her blood kin! Who the hell are you?

BUFFY: We're family.

In a recent interview Joss explained that one of the major reasons that he allowed the character of Buffy's father to drift out of the picture was because he felt that the family you make is more important to most of us than the family you are born into.

That makes "Family" an important part of the Buffy mythology.

And I love the scene at the end when Willow and Tara are literally dancing in air in each other's arms.

But then I'm a bad one to ask because I can find something to praise about almost any episode.

There's lots of great eps that could have been on the list. That's why Buffy is so loved and respected by fans and critics, because the number of stand-out episodes is so many more than most TV series.

Halloween

I love all of the Halloween themed episodes. They got very creative with those!!! Hush was also excellent. I just saw this one again on FX.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brian G Turner Buffy 1
Brian G Turner Buffy 12
Brian G Turner Buffy 16
Overread Buffy 15
REBerg Buffy 12