Gaiman, Neil: Neverwhere

ray gower

Neverwhere

Under the streets of London there is a world of which most people could never dream. When Richard Mayhew accidentally stumbles on this hidden city of monsters, saints, murderers and angels, he is catapulted from a safe and predictable world into one that is eerily familiar yet utterly bizarre.

I read it in a night after watching a couple of episodes of the BBC series based upon the book.

The adventures manage to be funny and horrific at the same time!
Characters like The Angel Islington and the Earl are well written that you can almost believe they are there. I like the idea that the stations of London arn't just names but are people of consequence and leads you to belive that the places have been named because of them.

I just finished Gaiman's book Stardust, which was excellent. The characters were very well written, and the world he created really came alive. It's worth checking out next time you stop by the bookstore.

I love this book and program. Just got my other half to watch it the other night (bit of a coincidence there.) Ive never read the book but ive listened to the audio version of it read by Richard Mayhew himself. It has a little documentery at the end, things like how Lenny Henry invented the Black friars. (he helped write the screenplay) and how they went to lunch with Brian Eno not expecting him for one minute to do the theme music for the show.