Elric Movie?

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
According to Moorcock's website (http://www.multiverse.org/index.php) he's sold the rights to the Elric saga and a movie is in the development mode. Reading the Q&A section of his forums is fun as the members all want to be part of the film, even if it is just proposing actors and the like. Kind of fun. The author himself answers questions posted.

I'm not sure if an Elric movie is going to be a blessing or a curse for poor Mr Moorcock!! Let's face it, after Hollywood has finished with it... ;)

Jude Law looks a bit too healthy for the part.

Not even sure who should play the Albino kinslayer.

Have they come up with what accent the Melnibone people are supposed to have? Definitely the english accent.

How about Rupert Everett?

A younger Johnny Winter would have been great. No make-up required even. David Bowie could have done it too, with make-up, but he's looking kinda old for it, too, now.

Hmmm...

Are there no albino actors in the acting profession??? ;) And what nationality should the Prince be???:D

And are they intending to keep true to the Elric stories, or is hollywood going to do a whitewash???

Do albino peoples occur in asia and africa etc etc? I am tired so please forgive me if this question appears to be ridiculous.

I said:
I'm not sure if an Elric movie is going to be a blessing or a curse for poor Mr Moorcock!! Let's face it, after Hollywood has finished with it... ;)
after hollywood has finished with it... elric will be a short, fat black man with a gun :eek:

Lacedaemonian said:
Do albino peoples occur in asia and africa etc etc? I am tired so please forgive me if this question appears to be ridiculous.
Not a ridiculous question at all. But yes, there are albinos in all ethnic groups. I know that there is an African-American albino individual who lives somewhere fairly locally here; I've seen him around consistently for a good number of years.

Mike Moorcock seems to favour Paul Bettany to play Elric. I'd like to see Jonathan Rhys-Myers in the role myself but only cos I fancy him ;)

Someone on Mike's site suggested my beloved Sean Bean to play Moonglum! :confused: but that was one of the less cringe-worthy suggestions.

I'm sure Mike and the Weitz Brothers will come up with something good in the end though.

This is a great time for fantasy readers then - first, we hear that there is going to be a film "Chain of Dogs" based on the storyline of the same name in Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson, and now there's going to be an Elric movie. Couldn't be much better. The only problem I see with this was that one of the great things about the Elric books was Moorcock's command of the English language, which obviously can't be conveyed in film.

I'm not sure you can expect much from a film of a book other than that it is a hugely enjoyable spectacle - after all, that's the only thing the film can give you that the book itself doesn't.

However, I can't help but feel I need to urgently re-read all the books before the film starts being made and the publicity comes out - once you are being bombarded with Hollywood's view of what it all looks like its all too easy to forget about your own. I re-read the lord of the rings before I saw th first film and I can't help but feel it helped me to retain my own picture of the characters etc in my own imagination.

I'm sure Holywood sees it as a chance to make another LOTR, in fact, they could stick to just the first book in the hopes that they can make another hugely lucrative franchise that doesn't have to stop after film 3...

I definitely enjoy watching films like these but I'm not 100% percent sure they don't take something away from the original book - I definitely advocate re-aquainting oneself with the text before bombarding your senses with the full dolby-surround cinema experience....