Fantasy/Mystery Mix

rune

rune
I really enjoy the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. It's a series that follows a wizard detective who gets into all kinds of trouble and of course there's loads of magic and strange creatures in the books :)

I was wondering if anyone could recommend any books in a similar theme.?

I've never heard of anything in that hybrid genrè but it looks interesting. I'll be sure to pick up The Dresden Files

Anonymous Rex by Eric Garcia first comes to mind. Then there is the Bard series by Mercedes Lackey - I think you can start with Bedlam's Bard. I can't remember really where the series starts but I believe this one has two of them in one book. And then of course there is the Adept series by Katherine Kurtz and Deborah Turner Harris - as usual I can't remember which one is first :eek: so if you look in the library you can usually check the front of the book to see which one is first.

dwndrgn said:
Anonymous Rex by Eric Garcia first comes to mind. Then there is the Bard series by Mercedes Lackey - I think you can start with Bedlam's Bard. I can't remember really where the series starts but I believe this one has two of them in one book. And then of course there is the Adept series by Katherine Kurtz and Deborah Turner Harris - as usual I can't remember which one is first :eek: so if you look in the library you can usually check the front of the book to see which one is first.
Thanks for these tips, I'll have to do some research as I've not come across some of these names :)

Sherlock Homes And The Servants of Hell by Paul Kane Its set in Clive Barkers Hellraiser Universe .:)

Essentially, all of the Harry Potter novels are mysteries told within stranger-in-a-strange-land and coming-of-age narratives.

Rivers of London (a.k.a. Midnight Riot in the U.S.) by Ben Aaronovitch is a mystery/fantasy. Also, Randall Garrett's Lord Darcy stories are probably among the earliest such mixes (unless you count supernatural detectives like John Silence and Carnacki). (Which reminds me that I should pull them out and finally read them.)

Randy M.

Are you thinking of stories that are literally mysteries where you work out who the criminal is, or stories with a noir-type private eye atmosphere?

Essentially, all of the Harry Potter novels are mysteries told within stranger-in-a-strange-land and coming-of-age narratives.
I've actually long said the excellent mystery at the heart of each HP novel drives a lot of the success of the series. Yes, the world is thoroughly and vividly rendered, but the pot boiling whodunit the gang is solving each time is always very well done. It's no surprise JK moved into the mystery genre next.

Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon also kind of fits this mold, though I hear the rest of the series gets away from the noir angle.

I've actually long said the excellent mystery at the heart of each HP novel drives a lot of the success of the series. Yes, the world is thoroughly and vividly rendered, but the pot boiling whodunit the gang is solving each time is always very well done. It's no surprise JK moved into the mystery genre next. ...

I think it may go even a bit beyond that: Harry's new to this world and so are we, and we all learn about it through his trying to understand what happened and why, and solve the mystery. The writing is simple and straight-forward, but the story-telling is more complex.

Randy M.

You've been Baylored!

I've actually long said the excellent mystery at the heart of each HP novel drives a lot of the success of the series. Yes, the world is thoroughly and vividly rendered, but the pot boiling whodunit the gang is solving each time is always very well done. It's no surprise JK moved into the mystery genre next.

Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon also kind of fits this mold, though I hear the rest of the series gets away from the noir angle.

That's a very good observation that I plan to steal.

I mean, really, all books are mysteries of a sort "What happens when X meets Y" "What happens when A becomes a B" and rely on readers being interested in that question - but the Harry Potter stories do have more concrete "Why is X" happening mysteries and, yes, that storytelling is key.

Since the thread has been revived, anyway, might as well ...

Drakenfeld by Mark Charan Newton

I liked it well enough to order the follow-up.

I tried Drakenfeld but couldn't get into it.

For someone who loves the concept of fantasy/mystery, I don't actually like most of it. But two I do are The Traitor God by Cam Johnston and The Emperor's Edge by Lindsey Buroker (which is probably still free).

Glen Cook's Garrett, PI series is a noir detective series set in a fantasy world with the full menagerie of different types of magical beasts and fantasy peoples.