6.02: Redemption part two

skydiver

Trivia Goddess
redemption part two

Just starting a new thread since we're t-8:15 from the first showing tonight.

Redemption part 2

It starts with Mckay going off about Nuby….very theatrical. Sam says they're all rather dramatic acting. Earth has 54 hours left and no solutions. Mckay wonders why Nuby waited a day and a half to brag. Sam thinks it's because he wanted to make sure it worked. ''nothing can stop the destruction I bring upon you….the gate closes….oops I was wrong' is McKay's reaction. (I can't help it, he's bloody hysterical)
Mckay comes up with the idea to send an em pulse to fry Nuby's weapon. Sam says to do that they'd have to open the iris which will cut their time in half since it'll let more energy through. In the end they decide to do it. Sam's less than enthusiastic but is basically told by Hammond that she has to unless she can come up with something better.
Bra'tac, Teal'c and Ry'ac have figured out which planet the attack is being launched from, they go there and ring down, meeting stiff resistance. They make it out, with Ry'ac being shot (he's fine)
On earth, they're firing up the em pulse, they open the iris…it doesn't work, Sam gets shocked and tossed across the room. Mckay is worried.
He goes to the infirmary, sort of apologizes to her, hits on her, tells her about his miserable child hood. Dang it, he's starting to get likeable <G>
Teal'c, Bra'tac and Ry'ac see the weapon, it looks like something the ancient built. T says then if they blow it up, it's unlikely that Nuby can build another one.

Back to earth….Jonas comes up with an idea…they can't stop the gate from exploding…so let it explode, off of earth. And FYI…they got the gate into the mountain through a big honkin shaft with a huge crane in it. Remember the silo from 1969??? And it takes two hours to lift the 64,000pound gate up this shaft, 4 to take it to Peterson AFB, two to fly to Nellis (Area 51) which will leave Jack 16 to get it off the planet.

Back to the planet….Teal'c and Bra'tac are captured. The requisite slapping around. Ry'ac was left behind, he finds out and tries to rescue them

Jack's taking the x302 up, it's perched on top of a big honkin jet to get it out of the atmosphere. He zooms up but ends up running out of fuel. The gate is simply more weight than the ship was ever designed to handle.
He starts to come back down..they're trying to come up with something. Lovely Sam/Mckay talking in unison moment. They realize that they can use the hyperspace engines. With naquadria, the more power you give it, the more unstable it is…so a one second burst should have minimal instability (think goa'uld personal shields here, knife vs bullet)
It succeeds, jack ejects, we're all happy. But stargateless.

On the planet, the weapon is shut down…Ry'ac is in a glider. He frees Bra'tac and Teal'c. then he attacks the weapon and blows it up.

Back on earth…the sgc is being shut down. They can't risk opening the gate with Nuby's weapon still out there. Jack has been offered his pick of assignments. They get a message…it's Teal'c & co in a cargo ship on their way in, asking permission to land. They tell them that Nuby's weapon is toast.

The sgc starts up again. Jonas catches jack…gives him a speech about how he regrets what happened to Danny, asks for a chance to atone and make a difference. Jack won't answer him. Jack goes to hammy's office. Seems we're back in operation. The SGC is renting the Stargate from the Russians, the bill is money, plans for the x302, x303 (that's a new one) and a Russian member on sg-1. Jack says he can't do that because he's already got a new member.

Next scene, flashback to Enemy Within, Jonas walks into the gateroom, the rest are waiting. They go up the ramp together and…..for better or worse, they're the team now.

All in all, it was great. Part 1 may have been a little slow, but part 2 made up for it. Fantastic lines between Mckay and Sam, Wonder Triplet action between Jonas, Mckay and Sam and….a good fuzzy feeling at the end.

Next week, descent.

But right now I'm feeling like one of them "what the hell was that?" Jack moments. One cut Teal'c is shouting son's name, Anubus' toy is imploding, Bra'tac is holding Teal'c back, and next scene after the break he's okay? I just don't get the scene. It's a shout of victory? I've seen it twice and don't follow.

Are they doing Euros now that can only be seen on DVD? What?

These seemed two different episodes in tone and pacing. Somebody on the part one discussion thread said something is different with the series. I'm starting to come around to that view. I'm not sure if it's good or bad. I think being next to twisted, wacky Farscape puts a strange spin on everything. Any show next to that, they could do a lot of crazy stuff and seem normal in comparasion.

And I think there was some major single cut camera editing going on. Is this the ep they're going to put in for that award somewhere?

We see more of the SGC layout than ever. I'm almost ready to draw a floorplan, if anyone is interested. They threw us a bone about how the 'Gates got in and out. We were so right about the celing!

good things
-mckay - the guy was seriously cracking me up
-sam with attitude
- those 2 geeky scientists in lab coats
-jack looking like hop along cassidy gimping down the hall (is it sick that i liked that?)
-finding out how they got the gate inside the mountain.
-another sparky sighting - go siler!
- the whole six million dollar man "we have separation" thing
-nicely done angst from sam when she thinks jack's gone into hyperspace with the stargate
- the mea culpa speech from jonas

bad things
-the return of the flight suit
-okay, you got like 15 motherships in orbit around the planet and yet their superweapon gets taken out by a kid in a hotwired death glider?

shanilka

Is it just me, or did anyone else wonder how that jumbo jet would take off with the 302 on top? I thought the aerodynamics of the jet's shape is what forces it's nose up and allows the big honkin thing to take off in the first place? Plus, would the force of the air pushing on it not rip the other plane off the jet?? I don't know, it just did not seem feasible to me.....anybody else wonder?

And why did we only see Jack a few minutes?? I'm having withdrawals here!! :D

I actually grew to like ol' Jonas. I know some had probs with his knowlegde about everything not being believable, but that didn't occur to me. I guess my disbelief about him is still in suspension. He's not exactly being rammed down our throats yet, which is good.

And about shippiness......didn't see any, thankfully. I'm a reformed-former-shipper; but I've come around. ;)

re the jumbo jet - they probably got the idea from the US space shuttle. i've seen pictures of the space shuttle riding piggyback on a 747 when they have needed to transport it from the california landing site back to florida.
shanilka

what gategeek said, that is exactly how they get the shuttle home from california to florida when it has to land there.

i think sci-fi fubar'd a break when the thing blew up and teal'c yelled ryac....there was no fade to black, just a cut to a commercial. I think that's an oops.

and there was a blooper, sorta. i know in tokra daneil translated 'chel nak' to mean 'cool, very cool'
yet it couldn't have meant that in cotg when teal'c said 'chel nak' when he chose shau'ri and then again last night when the jaffa wished teal'c & co 'chel nak'....so i guess like kree it must have multiple meanings.

you there, very cool and good luck or success

some amusing lines

McCay: "Yah, hey, Anubis, this is your agent - you're playing it way
over the top. Can you get serious please?"
--------
Sam: "For the record, I hate you."
McCay: "Well, it can't get any worse then, can it?"
Sam: "Oh no, I"m rapidly working up to dispise."
McCay: "You know, we're obviously gonna have to get over this whole
physical attraction thing."
------------------

McCay: "I always wanted to be a pianist."
Sam: "What?!"
McKay: "A concert pianist (pause)what did you think I said?"
-------------------
Sam: "Why are you telling me this?"
McCay: "Just trying to bond."
Sam: "Why?"
McCay: "Hospital gowns turn me on."
------------------------
Sam: "Wish I could go with you sir."
Jack: "Yes, I'm sure you do... and I find that quite bizarre."
-----------------
Tech: "Good luck sir."
Jack: "Stop saying that."
----------
shanilka

space shuttle riding piggyback on a 747

I had forgotten about that!! Thanks!

Great episode, I enjoy it a lot. My favorite parts, I can't believe I'm going to say this :eek: the Mckay and Sam conversation. That guy really annoy me since day one, in this episode he make me laugh. Incredible. :lol: All the Jaffa and Anubis weapon issue was cool. And of course Jonas idea with the Stargate. It was a very entertaining episode.

Krystal :circle:

Originally posted by skydiver
what gategeek said, that is exactly how they get the shuttle home from california to florida when it has to land there.

i think sci-fi fubar'd a break when the thing blew up and teal'c yelled ryac....there was no fade to black, just a cut to a commercial. I think that's an oops.

and there was a blooper, sorta. i know in tokra daneil translated 'chel nak' to mean 'cool, very cool'
yet it couldn't have meant that in cotg when teal'c said 'chel nak' when he chose shau'ri and then again last night when the jaffa wished teal'c & co 'chel nak'....so i guess like kree it must have multiple meanings. you there, very cool and good luck or success
I bought the 747 because the X302 is smaller than the shuttle. But together with the 'Gate-- the 'Gate was described as 68,000 pounds, right? Together they better equal a unloaded STS or less. I'm not big enough into the space geek dept to know this is true. What's the weight of an empty Space Shuttle? It's called the Flying Brick in some places, so gotta be substantial.

SciFi's Farscape break was much the same choppy way at the end of the third act. 'Tis a SciFi thing.

And agree with the "chel nok" use. It got written into the Gatecon skits for "its cool." We fans use them as we hear them. Not the first time they fubared translations. Another word(s) "kel sha" was used twice for both "hi/greetings" and "sure/will do." That's the whole reason we've got five meanings for "Kree."

Where was McCay supposed to be stationed?

I thought he was long gone.

oh it all sounds so good. i wish i was living over there just so i could be seeing good ol' stragate.

anyway, those quotes up there sumwhere were sooooo funni. if i get down on my hands and knees can you write sum more?plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

thanx
jax

i agre with eway - wasn't Mckay meant to be in Alaska a long way from home?

Desperate times mean desperate measures. I'm sure the possibility of the Stargate blowing up had a lot to do with all the experts they brought to the mountain. When you've got an "unsolveable" problem you call in whoever can put their two cents in. As evidenced by Tweedle-Dee and Tweedle-Dumb, the "idiots" in lab coats McKay and Sam were complaining about in the quote I posted.

what do ya know, a retractable ceiling!
Looks like TPTB do listen to our online ramlings after all. Finally the question has been answered!

gotta ask though --

was I the only one kinda disappointed that they answered how they got the gate into the mountain?? I kind of enjoyed all the speculation -

Though, I did like the way they did it. However, I do wonder why some previous characters had never asked ---

This episode was well-done - tho, Graham Simmons was missing - odd that he's in the 1st half, but not the 2nd --