StarGate casting biased by race

and clever. that's the thing. Hitler had a lot of good ideas that worked. he was a good orator and managed to politically turn a country half the size of europe around, that makes him an efficient leader. he was evil too though. i reckon there are parallels with the aschen....

Originally posted by spookypumpkin
i likened the Aschen to Hitler's Arian race, actually, when i first saw the ep. It was the way they planned into the future so much, as hitler did. Also they were highly advanced, as hitler's third reich society was.

just my view.

Its interesting that they first explored this particular issue in the Season Four episode, "The Other Side", and then followed it up with the Aschen.

actually, thinking about it, i think you're right with the other side, coz he killed himself.......

Not only that... the
Eurondens were primarily all of the Aryan (or is Arian ??) phenotype, wth very little exception and certainly no racial diversity. They were waging a war against the 'breeders' who were basically any culturally or racially differing person.

of course!! id forgotten that. well that settles it for me. coz they said they were breeders coz they didnt breed with any care for the genetic outcome and thats why they were at war. hitler DID that!!!

Originally posted by TheDoc
what I remember was that, when seeing sha're getting stripped, I thought: "ah well, how typical. the white american female soldier is not shown naked, but the exotic woman is." this really ticked me off, not only because the scene was, from my point of view, completely useless and not necessary, but also racist. and did indeed keep me away from watching the show for quite a while.

You’ve definitely made your point there ! I felt the same way when I viewed that scene. It was sexist, nationalist, and racist. Sad but women have always been objectified in the media. And the more “exotic†the woman, the more objectified she becomes.

So...why weren’t any of the guys stripped naked when Hathor took over the SGC? She is the Goddess of “sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll†after all! There should have been a veritable bounty of male flesh. But noooo, even though most of the viewers of the show are women, even though ratings would have shot thru the roof, the writers probably never thought of that angle. Sci-Fi shows in general are trying to become sexier (with desperate appeals to young male demographic) by providing the viewers (male) with scantily clad women prancing everywhere. This is one reason more women need to be in areas other than in front of the camera. This is the only way more minority characters {scantily clad men, of course} will be written into shows. We will provide a voice for them. We can also provide a different point of view (with scantily clad men, of course!).

Originally posted by TheDoc what I find more disturbing is the somewhat bent moral stargate sports lately. makepeace goes to the bunk for stealing alien technology to protect his planet from harm, jonas quinn gets a job on sg-1 for stealing alien technology to protect his planet from harm. the message that "bad deeds are good deeds as long as they come in handy for us" is not one I appreciate.

Makepeace stole from our allies. They are the ones who will help protect us from the go'ualds. Jonas stole from his people to help us. He gets a gold star for that. At least that's the rationalization.

Originally posted by TheDoc
what I find more disturbing is the somewhat bent moral stargate sports lately. makepeace goes to the bunk for stealing alien technology to protect his planet from harm, jonas quinn gets a job on sg-1 for stealing alien technology to protect his planet from harm. the message that "bad deeds are good deeds as long as they come in handy for us" is not one I appreciate.

Originally posted by ysm

Makepeace stole from our allies. They are the ones who will help protect us from the go'ualds. Jonas stole from his people to help us. He gets a gold star for that. At least that's the rationalization.

Like The Doc, I was disgusted by such rationalization. That kind of 'morality' is a real turn-off. Nothing against Corey Nemec, but it rendered the character of Quinn totally unacceptable to me, regardless of the politics of M.S.'s departure.

I hear that they've kept him in a thievish role by having him read and memorize all Daniel's book - and reading his diary! - effectively stealing Daniel's knowledge and his privacy in order to step into Daniel's shoes more successfully.

Not impressed here - not favourably anyway :(

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut :wave:
--

yeh i thought it was a bit off of him reading danny's diary. jack wouldnt even let sam read it and danny was supposedly dead then...

i agree with ysm about the naquadria tho

The various misdeeds of Jonas Quinn may be entirely deliberate on the part of the writers. Unfortunetly MS's shoes are big to fill, and to have another sweet, smart, innocent (also DAMN SEXY) nice archeologist step in would not help the show and its originality. Perhaps the addition of the immoral Jonas Quinn isn't entirely bad, it gives the writers something to work with in future episodes. For example, (and this is by no means a plot spoiler, just a figment of the imagination to serve example purposes) what if, in a future episode, Sam or Jack or Tealc had to determine Jonas's fate, in a triage situation. Maybe Tealc catches Jonas in the act of something and tries to beat him up or better yet exact his rightful vengeance on the inadvertant killer of Spacemonkey, and then Jack has to stop him and save Jonas's life? Hell, maybe they will make him a goald who really wants to kill everyone and tries to in the last episode. Point is, the writers and producers of Stargate have priorities, one being their self survival through ratings. Also, is there really anybody out there who wants SG1 characters to save the world and be morally right and military or scientifically perfect? For me, its part of what makes the show interesting. I like it that Jack is not the perfect anything, and that Sam, while being smart as hell, is not as socially adept as society says she should be, and that Tealc is Tealc and that Danny was a very loveable, morally concerned but military clueless character.
Maybe what we need to do as viewers is look at Jonas as a 'character investment', the means to some great storylines and a legendary ending in the last season.

BTW I haven't seen any of s6 yet, so perhaps I am jumping the proverbial gun a little in my character analysis there. Sorry if I annoyed or offended anyone!

Originally posted by shazstar
The various misdeeds of Jonas Quinn may be entirely deliberate on the part of the writers. [...] Perhaps the addition of the immoral Jonas Quinn isn't entirely bad, it gives the writers something to work with in future episodes.

If only Quinn were merely immoral - amoral? :( (And reading someone else's private journals is not so much immoral as just plain distasteful.)

No, the inappropriateness of his addition to S.G. -1 is a totally separate issue from the departure of Dr. Jackson and the need to find a fourth team member in his place.

The single germane fact is that, by taking the box of naquadria to a superior power about which he knows virtually nothing, Quinn has proved himself to be a serious threat to the National Security of his own world. No one involved with the National Security of this world, i.e. General Hammond or Colonel O'Neill, would allow him anywhere near anything of a sensitive nature, i.e. Stargate Command.

If he were accepted as a refugee, he would have been removed from the Cheyenne Mountain Complex and taken to secure accommodation for debriefing and vetting before possibly being taken on as a librarian or something in some small town in Minnesota - or somewhere. End of his story.

Point is, the writers and producers of Stargate have priorities, one being their self survival through ratings.

Bringing in an implausible character seems more to me like shooting themselves in the foot, and insulting the intelligence of their audience is not the way to win friends and influence people.

Also, is there really anybody out there who wants SG1 characters to save the world and be morally right and military or scientifically perfect?

I think you're right, there, which is another black mark against Quinn in that T.P.T.B. seem to have endowed him with 'super powers' in order to get him up to speed with the 36 years experience of Earth culture that he is lacking.

The same goes for Super Sam who seems to be able to pull hitherto unknown skills out of the bag as the situation requires. She used to be a really likeable, almost believable, character once upon a time. Now she's just a two-dimensional cartoon character. And would they please take her name off the Acme Alien Dating Service lists?

Maybe what we need to do as viewers is look at Jonas as a 'character investment', the means to some great storylines and a legendary ending in the last season.
Hm. One may live in hope. Personally, I gave up believing in Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy a lo-ong time ago. ;)

Sorry if I annoyed or offended anyone!

That's O.K. Don't worry :) The annoyance or offence does not stem from you. :)

Best wishes,
Aged Hatshepsut :wave:
--

This is one of the most interesting threads I've seen in a while. :cool:

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!I just wrote out a huge long post and then I got disconnected as I posted it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I shall post it again tomorrow. :(:)

Ah, poor Shaz:p

Happens to me all the time. Ironically it happened just now as I was posting this. But would that stop me?!! Never! Okay, well just not this time.:D

Me too, but I've fixed the worst of it now... :D

If I'm writing a longish post, I type it out on Word Perfect first (try to remeber to save it!) then cut and paste it here when I've finished it.

It cuts out the worst of those heart-stopping 'Oh, b*gger!!!' moments. :)

Best wishes,
Hatshepsut - no stranger to losing large chunks of posts :mad:
:wave:
--

yeh, well when i do a long post and type quickly, my typos are awful, so it helps to be able to spell check!!

Maybe ye're forgetting that Teal'c was once interrogated nude on board some ship. It was similar to Picard's scene.

Originally posted by lysdexia
Maybe ye're forgetting that Teal'c was once interrogated nude on board some ship. It was similar to Picard's scene.
Are you kidding me? I would have thought jsc or coffeecup would have let us know about that one! :smiliea:

Texane
Are you kidding me? I would have thought jsc or coffeecup would have let us know about that one!
Who's coffeecup? You haven't seen the episode where Teal'c was captured? It had a scene where the shockrod was used and yellow light came out of his mouth and eyes. He was rescued by a defecting Jaffa who took him on some scout ship. And yes, there was rear nudity like with Picard.

So I don't know what all of you are bothered over...