Storm Constantine

rune

rune
I've just recently discovered this author and wondered if anyone else had read her books :)

What are they like, what should I read :D

It is pretty good isnt it ;)

I doubt it's her real name though.

She's written a few books, I've since found out. They sound pretty interesting, but all very different.

What kind of stories does she do? I like her name too. Wow, rune, you are introducing me to many new authors. It is a shame I've got such a backlog to read right now. But, one of the best things about books is they won't change. If I don't read them until next year sometime they will be the same.

dwndrgn said:
What kind of stories does she do? I like her name too. Wow, rune, you are introducing me to many new authors. It is a shame I've got such a backlog to read right now. But, one of the best things about books is they won't change. If I don't read them until next year sometime they will be the same.
That's the beauty of book discussions you get know about lots of different authors :) It wasnt until I created my own little book club that I began to hear about different authors, now there are so many I can't keep up with them :)

The series I have just found by this author is called The Chronicles of Magravandias
Ive only read the first book called Sea Dragon Heir. -

This book focuses on the Palindrake family, twins born many years after an emperor defeats their descendents and takes over their lands. They have an hidden gift to be able to speak to the Sea Dragons and this story is about their attempts to try and revive that gift. There is a political thread that runs through the the story, but the characters are really interesting and the writing style is easy to follow. There is quite a bit of sex in the book, including family relations involved in sexual scenes, but I didn’t find it this disturbing.
The overall feel of the story was good, I liked the dark edge to the magic and that the characters were not always presented pleasantly, making for a tense and enjoyable feel to the story.

I've heard though she's also written a series called Wreaththu. I dont know a lot about that series though.

Anyone been able to get their hands on this authors works? I'm having problems, Amazon seem to have long waiting times for her books which is so frustrating :confused:

I tried to read the first Wreathu book, but it didn't really appeal to me and I gave up after 100 pages or so.

My library has a bunch of her books, but I can't seem to get my hands on a number of British authors.

What little personal experience I have with her work:

I asked about this author recently myself, thinking about getting into her work, until I saw thw rerlease of a book she and Moorcock collaborated on entitled Silverheart, which was.

Ever since I came to the realization and remembered that this is one of Moorcock's weaker works, and most attribute it to her contribution I lost interest.

Seen this author's books in the shops several times but yet to read anything by them.. :confused:

I've got a feeling I'll have to try and order her stuff from my local bookshop. I dont know why Amazon has such long waiting times to get her books in :confused:

rune said:
I've just recently discovered this author and wondered if anyone else had read her books :)

What are they like, what should I read :D

I read some of her books last year and thought they were good.
Sea Dragon Heir, Crown of Silence, The Way of Light/The Chronicles of Magalvandikos. I haven't seen Wreaththu in any of the bookshops or in the library but I would certainly read it. I thought her style of writing was quite refreshing.

Rosemary said:
I read some of her books last year and thought they were good.
Sea Dragon Heir, Crown of Silence, The Way of Light/The Chronicles of Magalvandikos. I haven't seen Wreaththu in any of the bookshops or in the library but I would certainly read it. I thought her style of writing was quite refreshing.

I managed to get Sea Dragon Heir from my library and really enjoyed it. One of the reasons I want more of her books, just a shame I'm not having much luck.

try the library again, they sound very interesting. i'm gonna put in a request at my local, and after the sucess i had getting copies of the mark robson books, i've quite a lot of faith in them.
BTW: love the new look rune.

Princess Ivy said:
try the library again, they sound very interesting. i'm gonna put in a request at my local, and after the sucess i had getting copies of the mark robson books, i've quite a lot of faith in them.
BTW: love the new look rune.

Thanks, thought it looked more like me these days. Waif looking and very pale :D :D :D

:) Can you not check on your library's computer to see if any other library has the books you want.

My library managed to get me a copy of Deadhouse Gates. It can from a library in Cunderdin which is many kilometers away.:D

Keep looking, they are certainly worth the effort.:) :)

Rosemary said:
:) My library managed to get me a copy of Deadhouse Gates. It can from a library in Cunderdin which is many kilometers away.:D

Keep looking, they are certainly worth the effort.:) :)
Somebody mention Erikson.... ;)

I quite liked Hermetech, but I can't say I'm a bit fan of her work as a whole. I also tried to read Wraethu and I also gave up. Until she moved over into straight fantasy, she used to write Gothic SF/horror, and I always thought she was something of a Tanith Lee wannabe

Tanith Lee. Oh yes some marvellous horror stories from this author. She managed to give me the shivers! Unable to compare her with other Horror authors, her style of writing and the subjects entirely different.

BTW Rune have you managed to get any more of Storm Constantine's books from the library?

I've finally got my hands on the Wraeththu Omnibus in my last order at Amazon, it's been months since this was in stock so made sure I got it ordered :)

I hope to try and read it some time in September

rune said:
I've finally got my hands on the Wraeththu Omnibus in my last order at Amazon, it's been months since this was in stock so made sure I got it ordered :)

I hope to try and read it some time in September

And I've just bought Sea Dragon Heir. I will try to read this soon as well.