The Thirty

bosh_the_basher

hiya lads and lassies

i wanna make a group of merry men. like the thirty from the books of david gemmel.

what would you say would be needed to make it a similiar likeness to the 30 in the book. and dont say be celebate or have 30 people in it. the first aint happening, the second is obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have armour numbered from one to thirty. The armour of course is plate and silver in colour.

They have an abbott who served as their Sensei so is older than the others.

The leader is actually the weakest among them and may even be totally non-psychic. Case in point was Decado the Icekiller.

In the end when they are about to all die they choose the one deemed most perfect as the next abbott to escape and found a new thirty.

Hope it answered your question.

I feel that this premise is the one not used to full effect by David Gemmell. I suppose it would take a particularly powerful enemy in order to defeat such extraordinary gentlemen.

I know, he should have a story where one of the thirty is a woman and she ends up the leader. I'd definitely buy that book.

bosh_the_basher said:
hiya lads and lassies

i wanna make a group of merry men. like the thirty from the books of davif gemmel.

what would you say would be needed to make it a similiar likeness to the 30 in the book. and dont say be celebate or have 30 people in it. the first aint happening, the second is obvious.
Hi to everyone on the board.

I have to ask, why do you want to make a group of merry men like the thirty....

Incidentally, Decado wasn't the weakest, he was possibly the strongest because he held no regard for the life of anyone including himself.
This quality in a fighter is a real pain in the posterior...if you happen to be fighting him.

Tsujigiri said:
Hi to everyone on the board.

I have to ask, why do you want to make a group of merry men like the thirty....

Incidentally, Decado wasn't the weakest, he was possibly the strongest because he held no regard for the life of anyone including himself.
This quality in a fighter is a real pain in the posterior...if you happen to be fighting him.

Hi Tsujigiri & welcome to the rest of your life! ;)

The reason Decado was considered the "weakest" was precisely because he couldn't care less about life! Also, inferior swordsmen with amazing mental powers can be a real pain in the posterior too... :p

The Thirty always seemed to me to be a kind of a mix-mash of shaolin monks in a western medieval setting. I did find it quite disturbing in one novel (can't remember the name of it now) when they all merged psychically to form that huge 'individual'.
I kind of pictured a bit of a Power Rangers moment there :D

They always seemed to be somewhat reminiscent of a medieval militant church order, in fact if I could actually be bothered to get off my seat and drag my carcass over to the bookshelves I could probably find an example or two.

I know there are a couple of historical precedents in Central European history.... I just can't remember which book I read them in.

I'm too old for power rangers and have steadfasty remained so...so I'm pleasantly deprived in sharing your moment :)

Thank God for small mercies....:D

Tsujigiri said:
They always seemed to be somewhat reminiscent of a medieval militant church order, in fact if I could actually be bothered to get off my seat and drag my carcass over to the bookshelves I could probably find an example or two.

I know there are a couple of historical precedents in Central European history.... I just can't remember which book I read them in.

I'm too old for power rangers and have steadfasty remained so...so I'm pleasantly deprived in sharing your moment :)

Thank God for small mercies....:D

you're just lucky you didn't have to babysit hyper-active sugar guzzling little monsters! :)

kids tv were better when I were a lad! Thundercats, Ulysses 31, Lost cities of gold - and watching 2 fat men called "Big Daddy" & "Giant Haystacks" slap each other silly on saturday mornings!!

aaaah memories..! :D

p.s. the knights templar or hospitaller might be considered to be similar to the thirty......they were not quite as nice though!

The Templars did sping to mind, but they had a far different hierarchy to the Thirty. The Knights Hospitaller were also a considerartion, but perhaps more so as the Knights of Malta.
Come to that, many of the Chivalric Militant Orders of the Medieval era would have served as a model for the 30.
The specific example I'm trying to remeber were in the latter Byzantine era and hailed from the eastern meditteranean....could have been the Maltese Knights I suppose but I am not sure they were Christian in faith.

I like the comparison to a Western Knights Militant meets Eastern Koryu Bujutsu school.
Tenden Katori Shinto Ryu, the oldest recognised Pre Meiji Restoration school in Japan, has an overall headmaster who is not required to be an expert at everything, and separate sensei for each art taught so that would fit quite nicely.

There is a lot of this cultural and historical 'blurring' occuring in fiction as the globe becomes more connected. I wonder if we will reach a point in some far distant future, where figures from novels published today will form a prominent part of historical understanding.

I am lucky I don't have to babysit hyper-active sugar guzzling little monsters! My house is however currently infested by two small people which I am told are a biological shoot from my ancestral tree :)
It's not so much babysitting as an ongoing war....and one in which I feel I may be fighting a rearguard action.

Those cartoons reveal you to be a 30-somthing ;) Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks reveal you to have been psychologically traumatised as a child :D

Thunlercats was the coolest cartoon ever. I shudder at the trash children watch now. Imagine if the thundercats teamed up with the thirty, OMG that would be so awesome. Liano would be the heart, with his badass sword and ... omg that would be the bestbook ever. Period.

a|one said:
Thundercats was the coolest cartoon ever. I shudder at the trash children watch now. Imagine if the thundercats teamed up with the thirty, OMG that would be so awesome. Liano would be the heart, with his badass sword and ... omg that would be the bestbook ever. Period.

I was thinking that I needed to get out more, but I think you need to get out more than I do :D

ha_
ha_
ha_
not.

How dare you mock me for acknowledging the coolness of thundercats!:eek:
Clearly you either havent seen it or you or you cant tell good from bad, now i may not have seen any episodes on that show in many years, but memory serves perfectly, and there never has been and never will be a better cartoon!

As for not getting out enough.. well theres only two good explanations for leaving home, snowboarding and drugs. And i NEVER allow my priorties to get mixed up enough that lazyness comes before either of those.

or possibly in the interests of public safety, get out less............

I believe also aside from the ancient European fighting friars. Their was an order of fighting monks in Japan around the time of Oda Nobunaga. if it helps.