Neil Gaiman movie rumor

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
Just heard a rumor that Neil Gaiman is behind a new movie being made by Sony about a girl in the circus who can only think of running away from the circus. After her mother falls ill she begins to dream of a second world where she must find the Mirror Mask to save the queen.

Hm, I hope they did a better job of it than "Neverwhere", which was filmed in a sort of 1980's camp theatrical BBC style - where the sript is carried by people who call themselves "act-tors". That was my short 5 minute impression of it, and it killed my enthuisiasm.

I thought Neverwhere was fairly good...

Okay, it was a little over the top in many places...

Was Neverwhere a Graphic Novel??? If so, I would be tempted to purchase it...

I said:
Hm, I hope they did a better job of it than "Neverwhere", which was filmed in a sort of 1980's camp theatrical BBC style - where the sript is carried by people who call themselves "act-tors". That was my short 5 minute impression of it, and it killed my enthuisiasm.

I don't think that Gaiman was particularly impressed with the film. They kept telling him to take pieces out which led to him writing the book to include all his ideas.

I saw Mirrormask not so long ago. I think it probably would be fun (and creepy) for children in that kind of Labyrinth/crazy kind of way, but it was a bit too twee for adults. Nice effects and all that, though.

Neverwhere was a novel published a few years back. Really good. My favorite part is this market scene where an old woman is literally hawking garbage. A little inane but I'm like that sometimes.

I haven't seen the Neverwhere movie, but it's a great story... I'd love to see someone do justice to it, though I guess since the first time around wasn't too great (from what most people say)... there probably won't be a second time. This is the only one of his I've read, though I have American Gods and Ansai Boys, which I'll get to in the near future.

I have heard from within the industry, that Stardust is being made into a movie. I have a friend who works in the special effects business and has been working pre-production stuff for the last 6 months.

Cool!!

kaneda said:
Just seen the original date of the post (even though I've already replied :eek:). Any news on this rumour?

It sounds like Mirrormask which has already been made. It's out on DVD.

And yes, Stardust is being made (filmed in Scotland I believe). Neil Gaiman regularly talks about it on his blog.

Mirrormask is already out on DVD. It was only released in the smaller cinemas and not in many countries either. It was very well done this movie and I wish I could have caught it on the big screen. Has one Lovecraft inspired scene with tentacles coming out of the sky. :)

Stardust is being filmed and it has Michelle Pfeiffer as the witch. It is looking good. Tristan Thorn is played by Charlie Cox and the fallen star is Claire Danes. Am really looking forward to this one.

Have also heard that there's going to be a movie of Death: The High Cost of Living but have not been able to find out much about it. Anyone heard anything?

I found a small article from July 22 on a site called SuperHero Hype ( I can't post a link yet so I quoted it). It seems it's a matter of finding the right people.

Most people first heard of writer Neil Gaiman from a long-running serialized graphic novel called "The Sandman" at DC and then Vertigo Comics. Although the main character was Morpheus, quite literally the source of all dreams, his younger sister Death quickly overshadowed him when she was introduced in "Sandman" #8 and her appearances were always very welcome, maybe since she appeared in a form not too unlike Gaiman's many female goth readers.

Death was later spun-off into two mini-series, both written by Gaiman, and for a long time, there was talks of Gaiman adapting the first of these, "Death: The High Cost of Living," into a film. So why has it taken so long for this project, which would be Gaiman's directorial debut, to get going? In this exclusive interview with ComingSoon.net/SuperheroHype.com from the San Diego Comic-Con, Gaiman explains what happened and why it's taken so long for this long-awaited movie to see the light of day.

"It's more a matter of because it's Sandman, which is under option by Warner Bros, Death cannot go very far from Warner Bros," he began to explain. "So we started making it at Warner Bros. We developed a script that everyone was happy with and then the powers that be said 'Well, hang on, it's a $15 million dollar script and we don't make $15 million movies.' So then we had to figure out what to do with it, so we took it over to New Line, but it took 18 months to get the contracts to get it from Warner Bros. to New Line even though they're both Time Warner. Then they did a budget of $30 million and asked if we could get it down from there 'because we don't make $30 million movies.' So right now, I think it's on its way over to Warner Independent, which makes more sense, but it's as much a matter of finding a home for it and finding someone who gets what it is."

But does he still want to direct it? "I do," he said. "Mostly just because it's really dear my heart. If anyone's going to f*ck it up, I'd rather it be me."

I finally got to see this movie recently, and quite enjoyed it.I think the strangeness of the story was well presented in the movie :D

I purchased it a month ago and really enjoyed it; as did my nieces and nephews. Felt like a dark Oz with some enjoyable dialogue, good pacing, and excellent art direction.

I also read a while back that they're making Coraline into an animated film, but can't relocate the source I found it in. Oh well, I hope it's true.

I saw it at the cinema i've got it on Dvd. :)

I always remember it cos i got sent home from school and my sister was lyk ; ''YEAH NOW WE CAN GO TO THE CINEMA'

i mainly went to the cinema cos i know Mirrormask was created by the same makes as Labrynth (starring David Bowie) <3

But i came away a fan.

Stardust being made into a movie! Aww. That book is so cute! Now you got me all excited!

IMDB lists Ian McKellen as the narrator - That's always nice. He has such a grandfathersy voice, makes me feel like a little kid.

Also, it seems Robert De Niro is playing Captain Shakespear. I'm not sure how to take that...