What was the last movie you saw?

Who remembers

Amélie (2001)

IMDB describes the story: Amélie is an innocent and naive girl in Paris with her own sense of justice.

Finally, the film's director tells the true story:
Jean-Pierre Jeunet, director of the 2001 romantic comedy The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain, has recut his beloved movie into a cheeky short film that reveals that Amélie was actually a KGB spy.

Film editors are magicians.

The second-best "sex" scene in cinema!

Who remembers

Amélie (2001)

IMDB describes the story: Amélie is an innocent and naive girl in Paris with her own sense of justice.

I remember it very well. I watched it with a friend on DVD not long after it came out. We were a bit puzzled by some of the dialogue that seemed somewhat overly mysterious, but we put it down to the film being French and having a certain philosophical bent. At one point we even praised it for this.

It turned out her TV was badly set up and was chopping off the bottom line of subtitles.

The Bad and the Beautiful (1952), starring Kirk Douglas, Lana Turner, Walter Pidgeon, Dick Powell and Gloria Grahame. A good film, exploring the vicissitudes of Hollywood. Douglas, Pidgeon and Powell are good, but Turner is truly excellent. I’m interested in Lana Turner - apparently married 8 times, as well as having an affair with Sean Connery, she struggled with alcohol abuse and suffered domestic violence, and her private life seems to have overshadowed her acting stardom, but she was a first rate actress. Interesting to also see Grahame crop up yet again, this time in a smaller role than in some pictures, with quite a dissimilar character to that seen in, say, In a Lonely Place. Grahame won the Oscar for best supporting actress for her role, and famously said “thank you very much” and then immediately walked off stage left upon accepting it!

Last edited:
Watched Inside Man. (2006)
While technically a bank heist movie, it rises above the genre with one of the best ensemble casts you might see, in what at any given moment seems no more than an involved robbery. But it isn't.
The robbers are technically brilliant, mostly one step ahead of very capable cops. You rapidly pick up on the fact that there are lots of levels to what is going on. Much of the action takes place outside the scene of the crime. often in places where concerns about a simple robbery would not be relevant,
Clive Owen holds his own as the head robber with a star cast that includes Denzel Washington as the detective in charge, William Dafoe is the head of the cop reaction team, Christopher Plummer and Jodie Foster as power brokers, A host of less well known actors of quality partake. Interestingly, Spike Lee directs with huge technical skill in a film that while reflective of social concerns, does not resemble the cultural issues present in his other work. (Yes, I am talking about race.)
The cinematography is brilliant, both in and outside the bank. Even when there is just conversation going on there is never a feeling of stasis. Lots of use of hand held cameras, but never in a herky jerky way.
An inside joke is that a couple of minor characters reprise similar roles they acted in Dog Day Afternoon, one of Spike Lee's favorite movies, according to Wikipedia. IM is streaming on several channels, including Amazon.
My favorite line?

NYC Mayor : You're a magnificent (four letter word referring to a lower part of her anatomy)
Madeliene White (Jodie Foster): [smiles condescendingly] Thank you.
Denzel Washington gets in some zingers also, but the above was out of the blue.
Watch it.

NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING DAY 1969 - Pamela Franklyn is kidnapped by Marlon Brando, Rita "Hey you guys!" Moreno, and Richard Boone from an airport in France. First time I watched it, it was disappointing for the lack of Franklyn scenes (spends most of her time locked in a room and she was the reason I sought it out) although, on second viewing, it does have a quirky quality which makes it engaging as a character study of the kidnappers. Boone provides the best moments as a deceptively mild kidnapper and ex-pimp who reveals a pleasure in torturing their captive and decides to alter the plan. Reminds me of other France-set films like And Soon the Darkness and Rider on The Rain. Not sure the ending makes sense but whatever.
I wonder if the torture scene revealed towards the end was shot in more detail. Could be some interesting stuff left on the cutting room floor.

Last edited:
Really? He was in Fantastic Voyage, Westworld, Capricorn One... big for a while and then became one of those 'whatever happened to?' guys.
Hmm; maybe he has a rather common face.

Another film I thought I would never watch:

REBEL WITHOUT A CAUSE (1955) I was just not much for James Dean; though I do not know why.

So, there is this high school boy Jim Stark (James Dean), whose family picks up and moves whenever he gets in trouble. His father is Mr. Magoo, and is a man dominated by his wife. Jim hates the way mother pushes father around, but is having other growing pains. So, new to town, he has his 1st day at high school, which goes very badly, when the tough boy challenges him to a Chickie-run, which he does not know involves driving stolen cars toward the cliff, and not being the 1st one to leap out before the car goes over the edge.

When the event is held, the tough boy gets his jacket sleeve caught on the door handle, and cannot leap out. He goes over the cliff and is killed. So, now the other boys call Jim a chicken because he did leap out.

Being ashamed, etc., Jim decides to go to the police. Having already met the Juvenile officer, (the future Chief of CONTROL), but he is out of the office. He, and his only 2 count 'em, two friends go to an old abandoned mansion, just to pass the time. The other kids find them, and etc.

As I personally had a really unpleasant time in high school, I found it stressful watching this film.

Hell's Mouth
A group of eco-terrorists interrupt some testing on an oil rig. The test involves a cleanup operation that uses an enzyme to break down oil but this has serious implications for microscopic lifeforms that rapidly mutate into flesh eating monsters.

Bad script, bad acting, bad photography and bad special effects. Not 'so bad it's good' just bad.
Avoid.

Pearl (2022): a prequel to X, but not one that requires viewing the other. Black comedy horror at its finest. Pearl is a farmer girl who dreams of being a dancer. She begins picking off anyone standing in her way.

The Dogs of War

An interesting first half of the movie, which deals with the interference of big business in a fictionalised African country and the issues that a 'soldier of fortune' has to go through when coming home. Sadly the second part of the film deteriorates into an all-action movie, and focuses on an odd looking multi-purpose grenade launching gun. Still worth watching though.

Christopher Walken is a very good actor, who often flies under the radar when thinking of all-time great actors. From his brilliant cameo in Pulp Fiction, to becoming one of Bond's most effective opponents in 'A View to a Kill', to his perfect foil to Wayne and Garth, and his iconic role in 'The Deer Hunter' he is a man of many talents.

I read the novel of that same title. Also saw the film. Cannot recall whether II liked it or not.

John Wick 4: Baba Yaga. More of the same--and if you ask me, that’s all that you need.

It’s truly an amazing cinematic experience. The movie is about three hours long, but it seemed so fast I was even surprised when the credits started rolling. There are some stunning scenes, especially the ones in Osaka. The scene of the duel--the climax--is great. I never thought I would like to see a blind man dueling.

The worldbuilding (one of the best nowadays btw) kept evolving. Wick keeps traveling to different countries (don’t ask how) and finding people serving “under the high table”. Until this installment, we had the assassins, the hotel managers and their concierges, the High Table, the tattooed women who typewrite and send out the headhunting challenges, and the judges. This movie showed the tracker and the harbinger (played by Clancy Brown, who I didn’t recognize at first).

It’s really worth it to go see this at the theater!

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (or 20000 Leagues Under the Sea - if you believe the opening title card) - The Disney one - which I really wanted to like a LOT more than I did. I enjoyed it, but not as much as I was expecting. Some of the design work was great, James Mason was sexy as hell but the plot was thin (though given the original material that is hardly a surprise; I can see why Verne was popular in his day but I find his books dull as ditch-water. Very heavy on the travelogue and lectures, regurgitated, I presume, from contemporary encyclopedias, about the marvels of nature and science, held together with paper thin plots and characters.
A film with no speaking parts for women. Not one. Some of the effects and travelogue/wildlife shots seemed strangely (distractingly) widened too which was distracting.

Some of the effects and travelogue/wildlife shots seemed strangely (distractingly) widened too which was distracting.
Mavbe because it was shot in CinemaScope, which was meant for widescreen. As I recall, it used to look a little funky on some old tv sets.

Watched The Mighty Quinn (1989) with my spouse.
images

It stars Denzel Washington and Robert Townsend. Each does a marvelous job. Interestingly Townsend almost steals the movie. To my taste he is much more interesting here than he is in the several movies he directed and starred in.
A Jamaican scene with music and atmosphere galore. The island still has a British governor which would technically put the scene back to pre-1962, the country's date of independence. The plot is convoluted, initially about a murder and later stolen money. But what it really is about is watching Washington navigate a dense culture and multiple relationships while trying to do his job as chief of police. True to his principles including not backing down from officialdom threats or partaking in the numerous sexual opportunities. Slightly dated with its Caribbean stereotypes, the dense sexy atmosphere is still a joy to watch. It was made early in Washington's career. Roger Ebert said that although Washington had already been nominated for an Oscar, this film should really make him a star.
A bit of trivia . The title song is sung reggae fashion. Bob Dylan said that when he wrote it he actually imagined Denzel Washington as a "Mighty Quinn."

Watched The Mighty Quinn (1989) with my spouse.
<snip>
A bit of trivia . The title song is sung reggae fashion. Bob Dylan said that when he wrote it he actually imagined Denzel Washington as a "Mighty Quinn."

Um not quite sure about that - though I might be misinterpreting your phrasing. Dylan wrote Quinn the Eskimo (The Mighty Quinn ) back in 1967 or so. It was covered in 1968 by The Manfred Mann Band who had a UK number one with it under the title Mighty Quinn.

Denzel Washington was only 13 in 1967.

JM. Good point. I probably misinterpreted my source, Wikipedia, which I quote in total below.

"Bob Dylan makes reference to the movie in his 2004 autobiography Chronicles: Volume One:"
"On the way back to the house I passed the local movie theater on Prytania Street, where The Mighty Quinn was showing. Years earlier, I had written a song called 'The Mighty Quinn' which was a hit in England, and I wondered what the movie was about. Eventually, I'd sneak off and go there to see it. It was a mystery, suspense, Jamaican thriller with Denzel Washington as the Mighty Xavier Quinn a detective who solves crimes. Funny, that's just the way I imagined him when I wrote the song 'The Mighty Quinn,' Denzel Washington."