What was the last movie you saw?

Just saw In a Lonely Place (1950), starring Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame. Terrific; well scripted, Bogart playing against type as a damaged and violent artist, and Grahame is excellent opposite. Grahame was an interesting actress it seems. Married four times, usually only for a couple of years at a time. She had a tumultuous private life. Her last husband was her stepson from her first marriage, the news of which rather did for her Hollywood career, I understand.

Last edited:
Kong: Skull Island (2017): I really liked this film. It's two hours long, but it felt really short. Loved John C. Reilly's character. The Iwi people were interesting. I liked Kong as a good guy. And, of course, Samuel L. Jackson is a national treasure.

Just saw In a Lonely Place (1950), starring Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame. Terrific; well scripted, Bogart playing against type as a damaged and violent artist, and Grahame is excellent opposite. Grahame was an interesting actress it seems. Married four times, usually only for a couple of years at a time. She had a tumultuous private life. Her last husband was her stepson from her first marriage, the news of which rather did for her Hollywood career, I understand.

You might find Film Stars Don't Die in Liverpool interesting:

Emergency Declaration (2022). A deranged bioterrorist unleashes a super virus in a plane, so the passengers struggle to find permission to land in any country (while low on fuel).

This movie works on every level. It’s as simple as that.

The suspense is high throughout the whole flick, and the acting is great. The movie keeps surprising you with plot twists, and you’re never guessing what’s gonna happen. The cast is awesome too: it’s the first time I’ve seen the Song Kang-ho (the guy from Parasite) working alongside Lee Byung-hun (the guy from I Saw the Devil); rising star Im Si-wan is also in it.

Something similar to what happens in The Chaser (2008) happens in this movie too:

They even got the biology right. I already said here in this forum how games and movies get vaccines wrong (I think I’ve posted about The Last of Us and The Girl with all the gifts). So, in this movie, they try to find an antiviral, which is exactly what you should be looking for when people are already infected. Even that they nailed.

Koreans!

The Gangster, the Cop and the Devil (2019). A hard-boiled detective and a gang leader join forces to catch a deranged serial killer. Based on real-life facts.

A top-notch action gangster thriller. The protagonists do their parts well. Ma Dong-Seok (Don Lee) could have been both the gangster and the cop; the serial killer is really scary; and the cop manages to look more of a thug than both of them. The action scenes are pretty good, especially the car chase ones. The ending leaves the spectator with a smile: the bad guy gets what he deserves and more.

Korea oh Korea…

Giant from the Unknown (1958)

Given my insatiable hunger for cheap horror/science fiction/monster movies since childhood, I certainly had already seen this one decades ago. Rewatched with wisecracks from the folks at Rifftrax, it proves to be a typical example of its kind. Plot: Huge Spanish conquistador awakens after centuries in suspended animation and goes on a rampage. Huge plot hole: We're told about animal slaughter and at least one murder before the Giant from the Unknown comes out of the ground where he's been buried for five hundred years. Not a great film, but not as goofy as the director's other movies of the genre (She Demons, Frankenstein's Daughter, and Missile to the Moon.)

Giant From the Unknown , Buddy Baer played the Saint Conquistador Vargas . He is the son of Max Baer the famous boxer and, the brother to Max Baer who played Jethro on The Beverly Hillbillies :)

The 39 Steps 1935 a classic atmospheric crime thriller based on the naovel of the same name by John Buchan

Stage Coach 1939 Staring John Wayne based on the classic novel of the same name by Ernest Haycox, this is a John Ford film and the breakout role for John Wayne and, is simply of the greatest Westerns ever made.

Gilda, the classic 1946 movie starring Rita Hayworth and Glenn Ford. This is the Hayworth film the convicts watch in The Shawshank Redemption, where she famously tosses her hair back. It’s an interesting, layered story, and the sexual chemistry between the leads is striking. This made Hayworth a real star of course. I hadn’t realized but she was married to Orson Welles at the time (they divorced a year later).

SKYJACKED (1972) :eek: it was in SD!? Watched on TCM, but even PRIME had nothing to offer but SD!

Anyway, people are boarding an airliner piloted by Henry O'Hara (Charlton Heston) and there is a seemingly odd scene of various shades of lipstick behind the counter at the airport that will have significance later. It seems that an ex-soldier was discharged for mental problems, and also had access to some very naughty weapons. Jerome K. Weber (James Brolin; who? not the least bit familiar with him) is the hijacker, who wants to defect to the USSR, who has delusions of being warmly received by grateful Soviets.

As expected several passengers have back stories, as does the pilot. Senator Arne Lindner (Walter Pidgeon; have not seen him since FORBIDDEN PLANET; has not aged well!) is not at all worried that he might be the target of the terrorist, considers himself insignificant.

Hijacker demands plane goes to Alaska, nobody even suspects Moscow is the real destination.

Good drama; though they used U.S. made vehicles at the Soviet airport.

Still, SD!?

Really? He was in Fantastic Voyage, Westworld, Capricorn One... big for a while and then became one of those 'whatever happened to?' guys.
Still shows up sometimes, as in Castle as Richard Castle's long lost father; also in a sitcom, Life in Pieces where he got to exercise his ability at comedy. And he was funny in that, though I didn't see it often.

Oh, yeah, and there's either video or stills of him screen testing for Bond, James Bond. Now he's probably better known as Mr. Barbara Striesand.

The Lucifer Complex (1978)
The added footage is what makes it truly excruciating.
Now we're talking. I was told this was the worst movie ever made by someone and so I eagerly sought it out to see if it outranked what I consider to be the worst movie ever made (more on that later). The guy speaking to the snake at the beginning, was that rambling philosophical soliloquy inspired by the Yorick encounter in Hamlet?
Probably not.
Robert Vaughn--his scant dialogue and poker-face expressions throughout this are amusing to me--and what adds to it is discovering how brainy he was off camera. I came across his appearance on a William F Buckley Jr. discussing foreign affairs in Southeast Asia---he was so scholarly intelligent. In movies he hardly speaks, but when he wanted to talk, he was amazingly articulate and knowledgeable!
I have a fondness for David L Hewitt movies though--I can't hate them.
There is some charm so I cannot say that this dethrones what I consider to be the worst movie I have ever seen,
which is
THE KEEPER 1976.
I think it is more deserving than the Lucifer Complex for that infamous distinction because that film did get theatrical release--the Keeper did not. No one wanted it. And Christopher Lee was told not to make it--and didn't get the message in time. It is a terrible film and I am embarrassed to admit it was made in my region.
Worst Lee movie I have seen---worse than Meatcleaver Massacre.

Crossfire (1947), starring Robert Mitchum, Robert Young and Gloria Grahame. A good movie, and one of the first to explicitly deal with a racial hate-crime, in this case anti-semitism. Grahame’s part is relatively minor though she’s good in it, and Mitchum is fine but quite low key for him - Young is excellent though, as is Robert Ryan as the hateful bad guy.

Who remembers

Amélie (2001)

IMDB describes the story: Amélie is an innocent and naive girl in Paris with her own sense of justice.

Finally, the film's director tells the true story:
Jean-Pierre Jeunet, director of the 2001 romantic comedy The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain, has recut his beloved movie into a cheeky short film that reveals that Amélie was actually a KGB spy.

Did no one ever wonder how a young waitress afforded such sophisticated decoration for a flat in Montmartre, one of Paris’s most expensive districts?
Film editors are magicians.

Who remembers

Amélie (2001)

IMDB describes the story: Amélie is an innocent and naive girl in Paris with her own sense of justice.

Finally, the film's director tells the true story:
Jean-Pierre Jeunet, director of the 2001 romantic comedy The Fabulous Destiny of Amélie Poulain, has recut his beloved movie into a cheeky short film that reveals that Amélie was actually a KGB spy.

Film editors are magicians.

It is a great, romantic comedy. I watched it again a couple of weeks ago with my wife after a long weekend in Paris.

th.jpeg.jpg

Enjoyable, full of familiar faces if not names. Judy Holliday is drop dead hot.