What was the last movie you saw?

I'm half way through Betty Blue. I was not impressed and hated just about every character who appeared. I needed a pee so I paused it. On the way back from the bathroom I stopped and looked to see if Betty Blue was listed in the 1001 Films You Must See Before You Die book.

It isn't.

So I won't.

I had to buy myself a new TV so treated myself to a 4K. Christened it with Aliens. Still a damn fine film on a TV which is (as they say in the movie) state of the bad ass art:)

THE GROUNDSTAR CONSPIRACY 1972 --came out 50 years ago yesterday. I chose Frenzy instead. This is rather bland but funny enough it does have similarities to Frenzy--both were Universal, both were shot outside the US. Michael Sarrazin is similar to Jon Finch (though one is much more leading man material than the other that's for sure). George Peppard has the Barry Foster role in that he is the one making things happen for the main character who is on the run from authorities. But there is no potato truck scene. This is also similar to Total Recall--someone's memory is erased and he is told that he is a secret agent.
It is kind of neat that they shot it at Simon Fraser University. Weird to see Peppard walking around a place that I had spent some time at.

Ready or Not

A horror-comedy that succeeds on both counts. A newly-wed bride meets the in-laws from hell, and it's a wild ride from start to finish. There are probably a number of deeper symbolic meanings to some of the stuff that goes on in this movie, but I just enjoyed it for what it was. One of the most enjoyable movies I've seen in quite some time.
One of my favorites from the last few years, too. If you get a chance, watch The Babysitter. It's not as good, but Samara Weaving is a force on screen. I think someone's missing a bet if they don't pair her with Margot Robbie as sisters, or at least Jessica Rothe (from Happy Death Day, another movie that leaned on a strong female lead) as ... well, something. There's got to be a script floating around somewhere that would accommodate multiple female leads with strong comic timing.

Sounds interesting, what's it based on?
.. not really sure the moon falls out of orbit, apparently... there was some reference to the moon not being what we think... It looked, potentially, interesting so I added it to my want to see queque... mostly based on Halle Berry and Michael Pena starring in it.
I tend to do this regularly; sometimes it works well and I get a hidden gem, (found "Alita, Battle Angel" this way) other time not so much; and I find a stinker...
It should show up in the next couple of days; & I will post it up whether its good, or bad, or even indifferent...

Moonfall (2022) - IMDb

Moonfall (film) - Wikipedia

Enjoy!

Re-watched "Monster Hunter" the other day, starring Milla Jovovich and Tony Jaa ; I rate it as fair to good and worth a watch just for the monster CGI. Its better than many of the Resident Evil films (it shares no story line) but possibly not quite as good as the best of them.
It was good enough that I added it to the film/DVD library.

Monster Hunter (2020) - IMDb

Enjoy!

Last edited:
.. not really sure the moon falls out of orbit, apparently... there was some reference to the moon not being what we think... It looked, potentially, interesting so I added it to my want to see queque... mostly based on Halle Berry and Michael Pena starring in it.
I tend to do this regularly; sometimes it works well and I get a hidden gem, (found "Alita, Battle Angel" this way) other time not so much; and I find a stinker...
It should show up in the next couple of days; & I will post it up whether its good, or bad, or even indifferent...

Moonfall (2022) - IMDb

Moonfall (film) - Wikipedia

Enjoy!
I see Patrick Wilson is in it. He stars in a lot of paranormal themed movies

Prototype (1983) - a far far above average TV Movie . I would even go so far as to describe this as a little, forgotten gem. I'm very fond of emerging sentience, "where's do you draw the the line between 'humanoid machine' and 'person'?" stories . Ex_Machina, Ghost in the Machine, Blade Runner, The Machine etc. But rarely have I seen it played out so lightly and carefully as this. There are, no handguns, no explosions, very little in the way of special effects, characters that behave in character all the way through and don't do randomly stupid things just to keep the plot going. The central performances are strong. It works. Grown up SF.

Stalker (1979)
Andrei Tarkovsky’s film based on the novel Roadside Picnic.

Set in an anonymous country, framed in a decrepit landscape, two men are led by a Stalker (a person able to navigate the awaiting dangers) into The Zone where their physical journey is paralleled by a metaphysical trek of self discovery and faith (or lack of).

A well shot movie I’d say is more interesting than outright entertaining.

Stalker is on my to watch list and Roadside Picnic on my read list after watching Moid's review last year. The premise is intriguing.

Is Andrei Tarkovsky the same guy who directed the original Solaris movie? (That too is on my TBW pile.)

Last edited:
Stalker is on my to watch list and Roadside Picnic on my read list after watching Moid's review last year. The premise is intriguing.

Is Andrei Tarkovsky the same guy who directed the original Solaris movie? (That to is on my TBW pile.)
Yes. He directed Solaris. Both movies are quite deep and need a lot of your attention to figure out just what is going on but worth watching.

I’ve just got myself a copy of Roadside Picnic so I’ll be reading that soon.

Yes. He directed Solaris. Both movies are quite deep and need a lot of your attention to figure out just what is going on but worth watching.

I’ve just got myself a copy of Roadside Picnic so I’ll be reading that soon.

I find there's some weird kind on inverse law going on with Tarkovsky in my head. I really liked Solaris - have watched it many times - and couldn't get on with the book at all. Stalker just left me cold - though I haven't watched it since reading Roadside Picnic (which is great! - and, I suspect, where Jeff VanderMeer's Southern Reach Trilogy found inspiration) so maybe I should give it another go.

Moonfall; I found it to be a fair to good movie, somewhat long ( 2 hours). It tried to do too much, IMO, trying to show planet wide destruction while also trying to be an epic Scifi movie...
It pushed the limits of my ability to suspend disbelief at several points, in a few cases ridiculously so.
It would have been a better flick if it had been tightened up a bit with some of the less realistic sequences cut.
The CGI was, of course great; the vista scenes were improved by viewing on a larger screen.

I recommend seeing it; if it can be found on a free streaming site or seen at low cost. It didn't grab me in a way that I wanted to, immediately, see it again, so at this time, I'm not going to add it to the DVD library. I was not disappointed, though, it was worth my time to see it but it wasn't a sparkling gem of a movie; more of a semiprecious stone.

...It did have Helicopters...

Whats with the small chinese speaking children (very minor footnote) in so many movies today? Are they an essential/cute factor for the chinese market?

Enjoy!

Last edited: