What was the last movie you saw?

SOLID GOLD KIDNAPPING - second pilot for THE SIX DOLLAR MAN 1973. They use the subplot of a scientist injecting herself with brain cells from a dead man to help find a kidnapping victim (who is being held by Dr Zaius in a very clever human mask disguise but we aren't fooled, are we?)They use a lot of stock footage in this.

NAZI AGENT (1942) Conrad Veidt PLAYS twin brothers born in early 20th Century Germany. One, Otto Becker illegally immigrated into the USA, and was running a bookstore, as a loyal American. His twin brother, Baron Hugo von Detner was running a spy ring out of the German Consul, and unexpectedly visited Otto. He demanded cooperation in the spy business, using the bookstore as a way to distribute information to The 3rd Reich.

I think it is rather unlikely that Otto should be able to impersonate his brother, given that he knew nothing about his business, but that is what happens.

Ben M mentioned that Veidt's contract insisted that any Nazis he might portray must be really nasty ones. As such, he never disappoints!

Shawsank Redemption: I have never seen such an amazing film since I saw The Shawshank Redemption. Shawshank encompasses friendships, hardships, hopes, and dreams. And what is so great about the movie is that it moves you, it gives you hope. Even though the circumstances between the characters and the viewers are quite different, you don't feel that far removed from what the characters are going through.

SkyFire [2019]
A Chinese disaster movie about a Theme Park and a volcano. Think Jurassic Park but with no dinosaurs [and better acting]. A theme park has been built on a dormant volcano. The volcano killed the mother of one of the volcanologists, so for her, it is personal.
The volcano is being monitored but no one is listening... Add in tourists, a young couple, and old wise [and selfless] men. Stir in rivers of lava, magma bombs, and crying children and you have the basic plot...
The special effects were special enough. Jeremy Issacs was the token English-speaking bad guy [but don't worry he redeems himself]. The director was Simon West, of Con Air, so don't expect a deep film but it was enjoyable [a bit like Con Air].

The Vampire's Ghost 1946

Escape From the Planet of the Apes 1971 Considering that this is the second sequel, it was daring to take a couple of characters who were secondary in the previous installments and promote them to the focus, going in a completely different direction--yet remaining suspenseful and emotionally involving. Also the supporting characters are effectively smart and dynamic. Eric Braeden has one of the most profound missions as a movie villain--he's no cartoon antagonist. He's thinking about the future of the world-as a scientist it would matter to him very much, and at the same time, the US president is intelligent too-there was a 1971 critic review which highlighted that character. It plays a little loose with the facts of the first movie--since they did not know it was Earth-and yet Cornelius now knows that the Sacred Scrolls had information on Earth history. Ignoring that, this is a pretty darn good economical sequel with some funny moments and a poignant finale.

Spider-Man (2002). I don’t like my childhood heroes messed with but the updates here were well planned and executed. Being bitten by a radioactive spider may have been acceptable magic in the late fifties, early sixties but doubt it’d be able to cast its spell here in the digital age. Gene splicing or whatever it was they did seemed more appropriate and realistic. All the essentials were perfectly cast even down to the Betty Brant character though I didn’t hear her called by name. Great Saul Bass-like graphic design for the beginning credits and chalk up another musical masterpiece for Danny Elfman.

Last edited:
In the vein of "What Music are you listening to Right now?", I bring you this thread - I am kinda interested to know what you guys all like or hate... or at least what you are watching, so basically, the idea is, write the name of the movie then tell us whether you liked it or not!

I just watched Dogma - and I enjoyed it very much.
The last film I watched was Source Code. It was excellent.

Rollerball (1975)
The action scenes on the field of play grabbed your attention, and the underlying theme of no man is bigger than the game kept the dystopian future scenes of the privileged executives ticking along nicely. I refuse to acknowledge the existence of a remake.

Steadily working my way through the Plex back catalogue.

Silent Rage (1982)
In which Chuck Norris beats up an entire bar of biker thugs then deals with a zombie homicidal maniac reanimated by some slightly mad doctors doing unsanctioned research in the morgue of the local hospital, where his girlfriend just happens to be staying.
So: a combo karate/cop/slasher/zombie flick. All in a day’s work for Chuck.

One really has to be Joe Bob Briggs to do any real justice to reviewing a movie of this quality.

Last edited:
THE PASSWORD IS COURAGE (1962) Sergeant-Major Charles Coward (Dirk Bogarde) as a captured RAF guy held by Germans in WWII. As they are marching newly captured Britons toward the POW camp, one poor guy who cannot keep up is summarily shot. Seeing, or hearing this, Coward (what a name for a soldier!), who is also wounded, decides he must escape, lest he share that other guy's fate.

Humor is occasionally used, and critics savaged the film, because its serious subject was inappropriate with humor. Yet, it occurs mainly as the prisoners outwit their captors.

My 2nd time viewing it, it loses nothing on the 2nd time.

THE ANGEL WORE RED (1960) Arturo Carrer (Dirk Bogarde) Is a Catholic Priest during the Spanish Civil War. Talk about being between a rock & a herd place! The Communists, who claimed to be the legitimate Government, considered the Priests as traitors, & were murdering them wholesale. So, the Head Priest in the Church is more concerned with the (shameful!) exposure of women's knees or elbows, than with things more important. Carrer decides to quit the Priesthood, & leaves. Eventually, he is in an unlikely place, a cabaret, & meets Soledad (Ava Gardner) who is a lady of the night.

One of the two remaining Priests is given charge of the local relic, supposedly containing a drop of St. John's blood. The Communists really want to get this as it will crush the morale of the enemy.

Hawthorne (Joseph Cotten) is a war correspondent, & eventually plays a key part in the story.

Things happen, & that guy known for still being dead, his forces come upon a Church filled with 200 civilians, who had been rounded-up by the communists. He decides he must kill them, I cannot recall his reason, & the only thing that could change his mind in the relic, as that will prove they are not communists.

good drama!

I would like to hear your thoughts on this one. I thought was an unusual and interesting little B horror film. Screenplay co-written by Leigh Brackett.

Oh I was going to comment on it.
It had been recommended to me here.
I haven't been watching pre-1960s movies very often --this made me think of CURSE OF THE UNDEAD 1959--I watched that a few weeks ago-the vampire was not your standard type either. And it was an eerie western. The vampire in that is really fascinating. He's so manipulative psychologically. And he can move about in day time.

I am assuming that this inspired COTU. It must have.
I am sure this has been featured in some horror books like Classics of the Horror Film--the statue shown was familiar to me.
I was trying to place where I have seen the vampire actor before. I know I have seen him when older in something famous but I am too stubborn to check where. Sometimes I nurture my ignorance of movie trivia.

The vampire was very different from the average. He was more pre-Dracula traditional--the one that can walk in the day time and also the importance of the soil. Silver being lethal to them. And fire.
The relationship between the hero guy and the vampire was different too. The vampire saved his life a couple of times. The other thing was how the dancer was able to resist him after he became more interested in the girlfriend.

I thought it was very interesting how the Africans were used in the story--they weren't token characters--they had a function from the superstition angle. Even for movies set in Africa, usually they do not have much purpose. Comedy or just periphery characters.

I did wonder what was going to happen with the characters who got bitten though--the vampire mentioned the dancer and the sailor guy would rise. I assumed they would show up!

Yes I was thinking of Star Trek.

I knew I had seen him in something repeated often on tv.

The vampire manipulating the boyfriend--I don't think I have seen that before--he's not quite a Renfield or a Harker--he owes his life to the vampire and it created a psychological obligation which the vampire used.
Same with the girlfriend.
And religion wasn't used the same way--the boyfriend needed the religious help to boost his will and self-control rather than directly destroy the vampire--the villager set fire to the shrine.
I have watched very few Republic Pictures.
A couple of serials etc.

Breach
The closest this alien zombies in space flick comes to redeeming itself is a moment near the end, when it actually seems to be self-ridiculing. Otherwise, it was a stern reminder that having Bruce Willis in the cast is no longer a guarantee of quality.

It Follows
Interesting idea, a woman has a sexual encounter then gets cursed by a demon who follows her so it can pass it on.

Well that's an hour and half of my life I won't get back...
God knows how this film got so many awards. I'd give it one for dodgy camera work. Maybe then they could afford to get better microphones too. Mumble mumble mumble, all through the bloody film. We had the fan on because its quite warm tonight and with kids in bed we couldn't turn the volume up high enough to hear all that was said. We normally resort to subtitles but there wasn't any...