What was the last movie you saw?

Delinquent Daughters (1944)

Poverty Row exploitation crime film starts off with the news of a high school girl killing herself. As the local teens discuss the tragedy, we meet our film's Bad Girl, as well as a giggly, bubbly, airheaded girl who is really, really annoying. The film's Bad Boy robs businesses. On one such job, he drives wildly away, causing a hit-and-run accident. The boss of the nightclub where the teens hang out (we're told this is perfectly legal, although the place serves booze, as long as they have "chaperones" to watch them) helps him hide the car. By the way, the boss has a partner/girlfriend with a thick French accent (the actress is actually Canadian) who is just as interesting as the Bad Girl, although she doesn't do a lot. The boss goes with the Bad Boy on a big robbery job, which of course ends badly for all concerned. The print is in really bad condition, with several scenes so dark you can't tell what's going on at all, so I've probably messed up some of this synopsis. Anyway, the boss used a gun that some other boy stole from his dad and hocked to him for three dollars, which gives the cops the clue they need. The boss runs off with the Bad Girl, dumping the French woman, leading to our film's most exploitative element, a hair-pulling catfight between the two ladies. The boss also punches the French woman as if she were a man. Of course, Crime Does Not Pay, leading to a stock footage car crash. The Happy Ending sees the nightclub turned into a malt shop run by the teens, full of clean-cut jitterbuggers. Not a great movie.

Delinquent Daughters (1944)

Poverty Row exploitation crime film starts off with the news of a high school girl killing herself. As the local teens discuss the tragedy, we meet our film's Bad Girl, as well as a giggly, bubbly, airheaded girl who is really, really annoying. The film's Bad Boy robs businesses. On one such job, he drives wildly away, causing a hit-and-run accident. The boss of the nightclub where the teens hang out (we're told this is perfectly legal, although the place serves booze, as long as they have "chaperones" to watch them) helps him hide the car. By the way, the boss has a partner/girlfriend with a thick French accent (the actress is actually Canadian) who is just as interesting as the Bad Girl, although she doesn't do a lot. The boss goes with the Bad Boy on a big robbery job, which of course ends badly for all concerned. The print is in really bad condition, with several scenes so dark you can't tell what's going on at all, so I've probably messed up some of this synopsis. Anyway, the boss used a gun that some other boy stole from his dad and hocked to him for three dollars, which gives the cops the clue they need. The boss runs off with the Bad Girl, dumping the French woman, leading to our film's most exploitative element, a hair-pulling catfight between the two ladies. The boss also punches the French woman as if she were a man. Of course, Crime Does Not Pay, leading to a stock footage car crash. The Happy Ending sees the nightclub turned into a malt shop run by the teens, full of clean-cut jitterbuggers. Not a great movie.

Lol that sounds so ridiculous. Should have known by the name.

Doors (2021)
Interesting premise. Doors begin appearing around the world. Are they gateways to another planet or universe? By the end of this train wreck, I didn't care. Danger Will Robinson. Avoid this mess. Arthouse meets :poop: house.

Nomadland
Not a lot of emotional range in this one. I wondered, at one point, if it was an actor-enhanced documentary.
It seems to make the argument that freedom is more important than creature comforts. Not to me.

Nomadland
Not a lot of emotional range in this one. I wondered, at one point, if it was an actor-enhanced documentary.
It seems to make the argument that freedom is more important than creature comforts. Not to me.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose ...

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) d: John Houston, s: Sterling Hayden, Sam Jaffe, John McIntire, Jean Hagen, Marilyn Monroe

Gritty film noir about a jewel heist. John Houston directed this lowish budget film 10 years after The Maltese Falcon mainly because he wanted to explore expressionism in film. Oddly no femme fatales, but plenty of other film noir tropes: low camera angles, harsh light, shadows, alleys, tough dialogue, corruption, violence, rackets, and flawed characters aplenty. Early screen appearance by Marilyn Monroe as a lawyer's mistress. Excellent movie.

Entertaining story about the difficulties and weirdness of trying to adapt Faust into a Broadway musical. Not as extravagant as some earlier musicals but there’s no lacking spectacle. The finale, a dance sequence showcasing pulp era detective fiction, is a true show stopper.

F81209C3-2FA2-45DC-8F9C-7A2A23E1605F.jpeg

Ammonite. This was the film I was an extra in. The film was... ok. Barely any dialogue. Story not actually about Mary Anning's achievements. Instead it's about a random lesbian love story between Mary Anning and some miserable woman. They barely have a conversation but they bonk. The ending is crap. One of the scenes I did is in it, but you can't see me as the camera never goes to the bottom of the stairs where I was. The other scene I was in was cut. To be fair, there's barely any extras throughout the entire Lyme Regis sections so I only saw two guys I recognised who were there when I was. Disappointing, daft film.

Entertaining story about the difficulties and weirdness of trying to adapt Faust into a Broadway musical. Not as extravagant as some earlier musicals but there’s no lacking spectacle. The finale, a dance sequence showcasing pulp era detective fiction, is a true show stopper.

View attachment 77214

Probably my favorite musical other than Singing in the Rain.

Ammonite. This was the film I was an extra in.

At least you have an interesting memory out of it. More than most.

-------

I'm watching TimeScape. About half done with season 1. I'm finding it hard to categorize. The over-reaching plot is so full of holes it put Swiss Cheese to shame. The special effects remind me of Star Trek the original series. In other words, they might have been cutting edge at the time but now just look like movie sets. Yet, I'm strangely compelled by it. So far the stories seem to lift up some basic insight into what it means to be in community with others, especially others not exactly like you, which has a timelessness which will never go out of style, as well as being extremely timely.

The Asphalt Jungle (1950) d: John Houston, s: Sterling Hayden, Sam Jaffe, John McIntire, Jean Hagen, Marilyn Monroe

Gritty film noir about a jewel heist. John Houston directed this lowish budget film 10 years after The Maltese Falcon mainly because he wanted to explore expressionism in film. Oddly no femme fatales, but plenty of other film noir tropes: low camera angles, harsh light, shadows, alleys, tough dialogue, corruption, violence, rackets, and flawed characters aplenty. Early screen appearance by Marilyn Monroe as a lawyer's mistress. Excellent movie.
Yes, definitively! One of my favorite in the NOIR genre!

THE DEVIL'S BROTHER (1933) L&H in a very different type of film!

The setting is, I am guessing, 17th century Europe. L&H, after lives of hard work are celebrating their good fortune in having earned enough money to retire, etc. But just then, a highwayman comes along and relieves them of their money. Now, they must start all over again, until Laurel comes up with a great idea: they will become robbers!

That does not work out, and they are captured by the notorious Fra Diavolo, who is rather offended that one of them passed himself as Fra Diavolo. He offers L his life, if he will hang H.
THE DEVIL'S BROTHER, 02749.jpg

There were several rather funny parts, & this was the 1st. After several failed attempts, Fra Diavolo forgives both, and takes them as his servants.

The story is really about Fra Diavolo's love for the mayor's daughter, & L&H provide comic relief.

Going Attractions: The Definitive Story of the Movie Palace (?) I had no idea just how beautiful those theaters were! This covers the rise and fall of these businesses, with just not enough about William Castle's gimmicks during the 1950s.
Going Attractions-- The Definitive Story of the Movie Palace,  05120.jpg

There were no concession stands at 1st; the biggest attraction was the air conditioning!

COVER UP (1949) YAY! another good noir I never saw before! An insurance investigator Sam Donovan (Dennis O'Keefe) rides the train to a small Midwestern town, looking to find facts about a suicide. The time is late December, just days before Christmas. On the trip, he helps carry the gifts a young woman Anita Weatherby (Barbara Britton) has bought for her family, it turns out they will become very friendly with each other.

But Donovan's 1st stop is the Sheriff's office. Sheriff Larry Best (William Bendix, the guy who usually plays the henchman), who is just too casual about the case that Donovan is thinking is more likely a murder.

Not much action, but the drama is good, as the audience is kept guessing why nobody in town cares about the man's murder.

Another Round, A.K.A Druk, is Denmark's Oscar nominee for Best Foreign Language Picture this year. It's about four friends--all teachers--who decide to do an experiment with themselves: to always have at least 0,05% alcohool in their blood. It works well... at the beginning that is. Their classes get better. They have fun. But things escalate.

It's a bromance on the level of Stand By Me, but with adults. Definitely worth checking out. The main theme is about having an addiction to go through life. Everybody experiences that, in one way or another. And it got even more relevant during the pandemic.

Ammonite. This was the film I was an extra in. The film was... ok. Barely any dialogue. Story not actually about Mary Anning's achievements. Instead it's about a random lesbian love story between Mary Anning and some miserable woman. They barely have a conversation but they bonk. The ending is crap. One of the scenes I did is in it, but you can't see me as the camera never goes to the bottom of the stairs where I was. The other scene I was in was cut. To be fair, there's barely any extras throughout the entire Lyme Regis sections so I only saw two guys I recognised who were there when I was. Disappointing, daft film.
The reviews have generally been lukewarm on this. Disappointing, as my grandparents lived near Lyme Regis, which I visited regularly as a child, and I knew of Mary Anning and the ichthyosaur from a young age.

If you want to see Lyme Regis in film watch The French Lieutenants Woman.

The reviews have generally been lukewarm on this. Disappointing, as my grandparents lived near Lyme Regis, which I visited regularly as a child, and I knew of Mary Anning and the ichthyosaur from a young age.

If you want to see Lyme Regis in film watch The French Lieutenants Woman.

Yeah, it was disappointing as it wasn't really about her. There could have been stuff about how she wasn't taken seriously as a woman - they showed bits where her findings had her name taken off it and a man's name put on instead, but never anything said or done about it.

Never seen The French Lieutenants Woman, though I do know about it. I'm local to Lyme anyway (or was!) so know what it looks like.

At least you have an interesting memory out of it. More than most.

Yep, don't regret doing it! Was a really interesting experience. Plus I got £200 for it. :D

I think that KING KONG might be about the size of GODZILLA's foot. No contest who wins in that fight. 300 to 400 feet tall Vs. 30 to 40 feet tall. :giggle: