What was the last movie you saw?

Goliath and the Vampires 1964 - I watched the english dub, with subtitles that said slightly different things, so max bang for buck; >
We see Goliath lifting a huge rock and whatnot, super strong, but he arrives too late to save the village from a bloody massacre. The bad guys take the women away and Goliath has to go after them of course, and it turns out there is a major-league vampire behind the whole thing. Goliath beats down on a raft of soldiers, impressing everyone, and after the usual sort of drama and intrigues, he finally faces the chief Vampire, who takes on Goliath disguised as Goliath, which fools everyone until the real Goliath just bashes him enough times to make him turn back into a scraggly skull-head vampire, who can then be dispatched by hurling a beaker of deadly vapors at him. It's pretty good sfar's Goliath movies go.

I just saw I Care a Lot on Netflix and can honestly say I've never hated a fictional character more than I do the main character, who is also a villain. I knew the story would add up to some kind of victory for her, but I still rooted for the Russian Mafia.

Yep, I hear you, Therapist. I saw it again recently and was similarly perplexed. I'm afraid I'm just not into David Lean movies. He's quite odd.

David Lynch. David Lean movies (The Third Man; Lawrence of Arabia) you'd probably like. More straight-forward story-telling.

Drof palm slaps self. Of course, I meant Lynch. Thanks for that Randy. And yes, David Lean is a fabulous storyteller. I still think Lynch is an oddball.

I watched a couple of comedies to remove them from my queue.

Say My Name. A surprisingly amusing romantic comedy about a one night stand gone horribly wrong.

Young Offenders. A hilarious true story about a couple of Irish teenagers that try to go to the site of a capsized smuggling to grab a haul of cocaine. Well worth watching.

THE KILLERS (1964) Hit men Charlie Strom (Lee Marvin) & Lee (Clu Gulager) storm into a school for the blind, demand the whereabouts of Johnny North (John Cassavetes), slap around the receptionist, etc., & just go and shoot the guy several times. But Strom wonders why their target made no effort to flee. Told in flashbacks, & from the perspectives of others, the reason why North simply stood still, while the killers shot him.

North was a race car driver, who is eventually hired by Gangster Jack Browning (Ronald Reagan) for a heist. RR's final film. NOIR ALLEY, though it was in color.

Browning's femme fatale Sheila Farr (Angie Dickinson) had eyes for exciting men, such as Johnny North (John Cassavetes), whom she ruins with an affair just prior to the big race, in which, he, being drained by too little sleep, etc, has a serious crash, & can no longer race. Several years later, she offers him the chance for big money, but will not give details. Browning intends to rob a mail truck carrying a million dollars, but it involves impersonating policemen, tricking the mail truck drivers into taking a detour, then, overtaking the truck, forcing it to stop, etc. Thus, the need for a guy who drives very fast.

WOMAN OF THE YEAR (1942) 1st of the Tracy & Hepburn pairings. A bit too long for my tastes, but worth watching. Two newspaper columnists, Sam Craig (Spencer Tracy), writes about sports, while Tess Harding (Katharine Hepburn) writes about world affairs. They clash, then fall in love, & marry; neither one giving an inch as far as making careers take a back seat to relationship.

It is a comedy, but has a time when drama comes 1st. She brings him breakfast in bed, & begins taking about children, and he, assumes she is pregnant. No, she had just taken in a refugee boy, because she was outspoken on the subject, & wanted to lead by example. But, she has no time for the kid, and goes off to receive the award for her work, leaving the boy alone. But Craig, will have none of it, and while she is gone, returns the kid to the orphanage. This dramatic part was just too long for me, but I rarely quit after starting a film. Comedy finished, but took too long to get back to it.

REAR WINDOW (1954) Was not as I remembered it, but better! Completely forgot about the tension/conflict between Stewart's character & Kelly's. They are in love, but, as he is a photographer who travels the world, he cannot imagine taking her as his wife along, or leaving her behind while he is gone for months on end. She wants marriage, but he is not willing to leave his career.

Very different from that other film I mentioned a few weeks ago, with a similar murder seen by the person across the street.

I do recall The Simpsons' parody! :giggle:

Raymond Burr is somewhat wasted, as we never even hear his voice until halfway into the film.

The TCM film guy, Ben M., as I recall, noted that the studio constructed the entire set, including more than a few fully furnished apartments.

I watched a couple of comedies to remove them from my queue.

Say My Name. A surprisingly amusing romantic comedy about a one night stand gone horribly wrong.

Young Offenders. A hilarious true story about a couple of Irish teenagers that try to go to the site of a capsized smuggling to grab a haul of cocaine. Well worth watching.
If you liked the Young Offenders film, Rodders, you should check out the tv series. Same people and just as good really.

BORN TO KILL (1947) Sam Wilde (Lawrence Tierney) is a man who gets what he wants, is impulsive to the point of murdering the woman who dared to date some other guy, & also killing the other guy. Learning of his friend's indiscretion, Marty Waterman (Elisha Cook Jr) advises him to leave Reno & go to California. On the train, Wilde meets Helen Brent (Claire Trevor) who had just received the divorce she sought, and was returning to San Francisco. But, she also just happened to discover the bodies Wilde had left behind. Being upper crust, she decided to go her way, since she had moved out of that boarding house, & let someone else deal with it. Wilde wants her, and is ignorant of her past, as she is of his.

Meanwhile, the owner of the boarding house, Mrs. Kraft, hires a PI Albert Arnett (Walter Slezak) to find who murdered her friend & tenant.
Wilde marries into money, the step sister of the woman he really wanted, and is power-hungry; he wants to run the family newspaper, just so he can have power to wreck men's lives, etc. But, Wilde, though married to her sister, still loves Helen, & she also loves him. Her sister, step sister, has all the money, though.

THAT MAID at the wedding -- is she or will she be grandma of the Waltons? Yes! Ellen Corby, decades before that TV series. Surprised I recognized her!

Great Noir!

The Great Train Robbery (1978) d: Michael Crichton s: Sean Connery, Lesley Anne Down, Donald Southerland

aka "The First Great Train Robbery." Fairly entertaining movie about a train caper in Victorian England. Connery is good as a street bred criminal who is able to pass equally in upper society. Leslie Anne Down is charming as always as his girlfriend and crime associate. Donald Sutherland bumbles through his lines trying desperately to hold a cockney accent but ends up all over the map. Other than that, he's good. The outdoor scenes are excellent with beautiful cinematography, and the train action scenes are simply stunning. I love pre-CGI location shooting.

All in all, a good movie along the lines of Butch Cassidy or The Sting.

The Killer That Stalked New York / Frightened City (1950) A woman who smuggles stolen jewels into new York is infected with Smallpox; while others are succumbing & a city-wide panic occurs, she is staying active because a doctor, misdiagnosing her illness, gave her some medicine. Moreover, she wants revenge on her husband, who abandoned her, and took the jewels with him.

I was not familiar with the leading actors, but did easily recognize the Time Tunnel General (Whit Bissell) as Sid Bennet, & Mr. Magoo's voice (Jim Backus) as Willie Dennis , the nightclub owner

THE THIN MAN (1934) Nick (William Powell) & Nora (Myrna Loy) Charles are celebrating Christmas with their friends, when Nick, who had been a detective until Nora received inheritance, is asked to do detective work again.

Many familiar cast members here, too many to mention.

Wonderful film, the 1st in a series, must have seen it half-a-dozen times, & never gets old.

THE LURE (2015) HORROR from Poland. Mermaid sisters come to dry land to find mates. But, they must eat them, or turn to foam. Weird!

THE THIN MAN (1934) Nick (William Powell) & Nora (Myrna Loy) Charles are celebrating Christmas with their friends, when Nick, who had been a detective until Nora received inheritance, is asked to do detective work again.

Many familiar cast members here, too many to mention.

Wonderful film, the 1st in a series, must have seen it half-a-dozen times, & never gets old.

One of my favorite old movies. It's funny and has held up surprisingly well.

- Nick Charles: I'm a hero. I was shot twice in the Tribune.
- Nora Charles: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.
- Nick Charles: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.

I finally got around to watching Birdbox, which has been in my queue for ages. It wasn't bad and some things i really enjoyed but i found myself disappointed.

I think it's probably because there was no explained reason for the phenomenon so i kept asking myself that question. I have to confess that i had trouble believing the concept of being driven to suicide by an unknown creature or force.